Thread: Started jazz at tonight's lesson.

User Info Menu

Default Started jazz at tonight's lesson.

So our instructor felt my son's skills have progressed enough to start learning some jazz. My son and I have been looking forward to starting on jazz, so the lesson was a real treat! He started us off with just a basic ride pattern with the hh on 2/4 and soft bass drum on 1-4. Once we get that down we add in pages from Syncopation for snare. Looks fun, though I am sure it will take a little while to get it down.
    Yamaha Stage Custom 22x16, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16 Cranberry Red 14x5 Ludwig Acrolite (1976)
    Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17"
    Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch MBX 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16 White Mist 14x5 Ludwig Acrolite (1968)
    Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash
    Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

User Info Menu

Default Re: Started jazz at tonight's lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    So our instructor felt my son's skills have progressed enough to start learning some jazz. My son and I have been looking forward to starting on jazz, so the lesson was a real treat! He started us off with just a basic ride pattern with the hh on 2/4 and soft bass drum on 1-4. Once we get that down we add in pages from Syncopation for snare. Looks fun, though I am sure it will take a little while to get it down.
    I think the term is 'Feathering' on the Kick Drum it was initially to help the Double Bass player in the days before 'miking' up instruments...usually 4 on the floor Kick pattern...but please don't quote me on this as i am know expert on Drumming...good luck to you and your son.
    Some great lessons on youtube for Jazz Drumming a chap called Niels Myner breaks his lessons down particularly well

User Info Menu

Default Re: Started jazz at tonight's lesson.

Awesome news I hope to get into jazz at some point next year I am doing well in my lessons so hopefully soon for me.
    Mapex Saturn flat black maple burl. 2 up 2 down. Mapex black panther black widow snare,Ludwig Acrolite,Ludwig Supraphonic,Tama SLP power maple.