Thread: Pork Pie 13x7 snare & Pearl stand combo

User Info Menu

Default Pork Pie 13x7 snare & Pearl stand combo

Had our best weekend of gigs we've ever had, so I rewarded myself;

Pork Pie "Hip Pig" 13x7 steel. Wow, what a sleeper! Typical Pork Pie quality & build (excellent). The sound is fantastic...Exactly what it should be for a deep steel snare. Lots of ring, but it's beautiful, pure & mellow. Like playing a note on a piano. It was tuned perfectly right out of the box. I've never been able to dial in a snare to get this sound myself. The batter head was pretty darn tight, but surprisingly low pitched for being at such high tension. Wires were adjusted perfectly. It plays wonderfully and is extremely sensitive.
    IMG_0229.jpg

I knew that having a 13x7 would create height issues, so I also picked up a "low profile" stand. Since I also have a 14x8 Supralite, I wanted something heavy duty enough for both. Took a chance on a Pearl S930D (drop basket).
    IMG_0231.jpg
    It's another sleeper. This thing goes so low, with the 13x7, it goes down to knee level. 24" floor to batter to be exact.
    IMG_0230.jpg
    It's built like a tank and has a nice metal basket adjuster knob and rubber grips that help it fit a 13" snare with the basket almost flat.
    I'm extremely pleased with both. Considering the price ($129 snare, $65 stand), it's a steal.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Default Re: Pork Pie 13x7 snare & Pearl stand combo

I tell you what... when I took my drums out of the box I could not believe how in tune they were.
    They were truly tuned to notes for sure!
    Bill and Pork Pie has a great team and a super great product!

I need that snare stand!!

User Info Menu

I was extremely impressed as well. It was obvious that whoever assembled it KNEW how to tune a drum, and actually CARED about it. Even the pig logo on the heads were perfectly lined up with the badge. First impressions are everything, and they knocked it out of the park.

I really like the S930D so far. It's a touch heavy, but the side swivel axle and solid aluminum knurled knob are awesome. When I'm not gigging with it, I'll use it in my garage as a transmission jack, LOL.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Very nice snare! Where did you get it from?
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

A "friendly" big-box store.....
    Which just issued me a charge card, LOL. I'm planning on buying a new PA system for the band, so I have to make sure the card works!
    -Brian

User Info Menu

well of course... gotta test the card lol

User Info Menu

Got to use the new PP and stand last night. I really liked it. It worked well and sounded....well....like a snare drum, LOL. The added depth and ring did help with projection. Only issue was a fair amount of snare buzz caused by the electric guitars, LOL. Much more than my other snares. I'll have to mess with the tuning and see if I can improve it.
    The stand turned out to be the hidden gem. The height adjustment range is perfect for a 7" or 8" deep snare, the special rubber tips on the basket grip the 13" drum firmly without the basket arms being so angled and "squeezing" it awkwardly. The offset basket was also a lot easier to position the snare close to the throne and not have the legs interfering with the hi-hat or kit pedals.

IMG_0239.jpg
    -Brian