Thread: Playing with finger injury

User Info Menu

Default Playing with finger injury

I was wondering if anyone has played a gig with jammed or injured fingers. I jammed my index and middle fingers on my right hand a few weeks ago. I've had to miss two gigs! They are better but still swollen and I can't make a fist. We have two important gigs coming up in a few days and I'm NOT going to miss them. If anyone has experienced this and has any tips or suggestions (taping, gloves, alternate grip, etc.) I would love to hear them!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Playing with finger injury

Assuming you are a right-handed player you may be able to get by with a thumb pick---I don't know what style you play, but this could be an option in a pinch!

User Info Menu

Sorry, I was thinking in guitar mode---try some tape, and see how it works out

User Info Menu

Assuming you're right handed and that's your ride hand, I'd suggest you limit your ride patterns to simple single strokes with your injured fingers kind of straight, altering your fulcrum from index/middle to ring finger with index/middle base knuckle input/stabilization. It will be painful for awhile and you'll need to chill on the power/volume but you'll get through.

User Info Menu

Rub a little dirt on it and get back in there

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    Rub a little dirt on it and get back in there
    Perfect lol

I played with a sprained finger once. Was intense for sure... Wrapped the crap out of my finger and used one of those finger sprain metal clips.
    Feels super weird but you get around it and get use to it.
    The show must go on.

Or just take the Judist Priest method.... Pain Killer!

User Info Menu

I work in the medical field try what we call buddy taping them together. Tape the two injured fingers together experiment with tape placement to get both support and some movement to allow you to play. Nothing you do will make it comfortable but some support might help you get get through the gig and maybe prevent making your recovery even longer. Go to the pharmacy and get some medical tape
    Mapex Saturn flat black maple burl. 2 up 2 down. Mapex black panther black widow snare,Ludwig Acrolite,Ludwig Supraphonic,Tama SLP power maple.

User Info Menu

I played tonight with a severely sprained ankle. My ankle and foot are literally black and blue. I took some meds before the show and rocked on!
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Ouch
    Mapex Saturn flat black maple burl. 2 up 2 down. Mapex black panther black widow snare,Ludwig Acrolite,Ludwig Supraphonic,Tama SLP power maple.

User Info Menu

Ice your fingers down as much as you can tolerate it. If you reduce the swelling, you'll be able to at least make a fist and hold the stick. Good luck.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the suggestions! (especially "rub some dirt on it":-). I ended up taping them together with some great tape I found at my local CVS store. It worked pretty well. I still had to hold the stick "weird" because I couldn't make a fist, but I got through it (with the help of a couple of Tylenol). I have another gig this weekend. The fingers are still nowhere near healed, but at least I know I can make it through!