Thread: More cymbals on the way

User Info Menu

Default More cymbals on the way

I just scored a set of New Beat Hi Hats and a 16 inch medium thin Zildjian A crash on a certain online auction site. I can't wait to get them because I got them for about 45% of what they would cost me new. I play Sabian SR2's now but was looking for a different sound and started looking at Zildjian. Unfortunately the local craigslist never really has anything that is a good deal. Everybody wants to sell their 10 year old equipment like its new or they are selling really cheap entry level stuff. I think I'm safe with Zildjian A cymbals and If I don't like them it should be easy to sell them off.
    Mapex Saturn flat black maple burl. 2 up 2 down. Mapex black panther black widow snare,Ludwig Acrolite,Ludwig Supraphonic,Tama SLP power maple.

User Info Menu

Default Re: More cymbals on the way

Congrats vlopez! I have a pair of 14" vintage New Beats and I love how they cut through the mix. The Sabian SR2's are a good deal and since you had a chance to pick them out with some help, I'm certain they sound decent.

User Info Menu

SR2's are extremely variable, there are probably some out there with the sound you want but it can be impossible to go through a big stack of them to find the perfect ones.

Too bad about your Craigslist; mine has a ton of stuff on it all the time but it all depends on location. I do see people pricing things insanely high too and just laugh...but plenty of good deals to be had.

User Info Menu

I love New Beats! I have a 14 inch set from the 80's which always sounds great. I picked up a set of 14 inch A Customs which I love as well. I recently found a great deal on a used 13 inch set of New Beats and I had to get them. Now I have 3 good pairs of hats, and I can keep one on my home set, one on the set at the rehearsal site and one packed in my cymbal bag for gigs!

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Yeah new beats are great I went to a local store and they had 3 different used new beats on stands and tried them all while they were all different they all sounded great tome me. So I feel safe buying them without hearing them. I paid $160 shipped to my door for the new beats and $78.00 for the 16 inch A medium thin crash to my door. I feel like I got a good deal just waiting for them to get here.
    Mapex Saturn flat black maple burl. 2 up 2 down. Mapex black panther black widow snare,Ludwig Acrolite,Ludwig Supraphonic,Tama SLP power maple.