Thread: Getting there

User Info Menu

Default Getting there

I am happy to say that I'm finally improving at tuning. Not sure what clicked in my head and ears but it did and I.m tuning much better now.
    Mapex Saturn flat black maple burl. 2 up 2 down. Mapex black panther black widow snare,Ludwig Acrolite,Ludwig Supraphonic,Tama SLP power maple.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Getting there

Quote Originally Posted by vlopez1130 View Post
    I am happy to say that I'm finally improving at tuning. Not sure what clicked in my head and ears but it did and I.m tuning much better now.
    Congrats! vlopez! It took me a few years to acquire the "ear" to tune.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Getting there

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Congrats! vlopez! It took me a few years to acquire the "ear" to tune.
    I think the ability to tune a given drum (12x8, 13x9, 14x10) comes rather quickly. The problem, to me, is getting a nice balance between up tom and floor tom, and then on to the BD.

When I was a young kid ( is there any other kind of kid?) my 1st set of drums was a set of Kent drums. A 14x5 wood snare, 12x8 up tom, a 16x16 floor tom, and a 20x14 BD. I could never get the crisp sound from the wood snare that I like. That's the reason I use nothing but metal snares.

I hated the "jump" from 12x8 to 16x16. If I got the 12x8 where I wanted it, I had to tune the 16x16 up higher than I wanted it. That was where my problem was back then. Now I have 6 toms and have had as many as 9 (soon to be 10) but I can tune them in 30-45 minutes.

I stopped looking for that "perfect" sound going from venue to venue, and just tried to keep a consistent sound.

vlopez, work more on getting a nice balance on your drums rather than looking for that "perfect" sound because even if you find it, as soon as you move your drums, it will be gone.