Thread: First Drum Set, Ideas, questions, input?

User Info Menu

Default First Drum Set, Ideas, questions, input?

Ok, so I'm getting my first set. This isn't the first set I've played on. I've been playing since the middle of 7th grade, and finally I have my set(In boxes in my room... gotta wait for Santa to bring it). Here it is:

PDP MX 5-piece shell pack
    Sabian B8 Cymbal Pack w/ 14" Hi-Hats, 16",17",18" crashes, 20" ride, and a 10" splash
    3 Boom stands that convert to straight stands
    2 Mini-booms
    Hi Hat Stand
    Throne
    Snare Stand
    Double Pedal

Going to get:
    2 more boom/boom convert to straight stands
    8" and 10" Wuhan Splash Pack
    16" Wuhan China

with those I plan to put the 16" on it's own stand, the 8" and 10" Wuhan splashes on the mini-booms in front of my toms, and the Wuhan China on it's on stand. The Sabian splash goes upside down on the 16" crash, or one of the others.

Hopefully I can get some feedback on the set and hardward, and some tips on how I should have it all set up. I have the basic idea, but any suggestions are appreciated.

User Info Menu

I play an LX set that I have had for 5+ years and they have been great drums. your MX kit is the same with a matte finish (oiled) as opposed to the laquerd (gloss) finish on mine. They are very good drums especially for the price. Tuned correctly, with good heads I would put them up against any drum on the market for sound. All of my hardware is top of the line DW so I don't have experience with PDP hardware. Congradulations on you Christmas gift and play them proudly!

User Info Menu

Well the Hardware is PDP, but it's good higher end stuff, since we had to buy it seperate. I have the red to black fade, and am hopeing to go to Black Hardware, maybe not stands for a while, and then black heads.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Zetsumei! Sounds like you've got some real excitement for Christmas. I play the Gretsch Catalina Maple kit, but I buy PDP 900 series hardware. I have found their hardware to be excellent quality with a reasonable price tag.

Enjoy your new kit!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

sounds like you know pretty well want you want. it will definatly be a great first kit. only suggestion would be to consider going wuhan all the way around. it is my opinion that thier very affordable S series sounds better than the b8 pro.

User Info Menu

I have seen the Wuhan packs, but the Sabian B8 back was like $250 or so and that's a pretty good deal. Wuhan does have nice cymbals, but I'm probably going to slowly go to expsensive Zildjians.

User Info Menu

The good thing about cymbals it you can keep them always. Kits come and go. But you can keep cymbals for ever if you take care of them. And remember you cannot make a bad sounding cymbal sound good no matter what you do, so pick them carefully and take care of them and they will last you a life time!!!

User Info Menu

sounds like a great set up. Make sure you post up some pics when you're ready. The colour of the kit sounds very nice too