Thread: Most underrated drummer, factoid

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default Most underrated drummer, factoid

Was just watching an interview with Ringo Starr. Never realized he was left handed, playing on a right-hand kit. In part that's why he has a signature sound, an example is the intro drumming on "Come Together". He does the rolls from hi hat to floor tom to tom tom. He said it's because he's left handed and had to do it that way.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Most underrated drummer, factoid

Yep. Also, he pretty much played whatever & however he felt. Made it up as he went and never played a song the same way twice...or at least so he claims. I was never a huge Beatles fan, but I can appreciate his creativity and uniqueness. I think he's also a genuinely nice guy.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Yep. Also, he pretty much played whatever & however he felt. Made it up as he went and never played a song the same way twice...or at least so he claims. I was never a huge Beatles fan, but I can appreciate his creativity and uniqueness. I think he's also a genuinely nice guy.
    I would have to agree. Never a huge fan and I heard he was extremely down to earth.
    I also am a lefty playing right and like the creativity behind the ability.

Makes me wonder, how many drummers strive to play each song the same every single time and who wing it.
    I tend to wing it but the core of course is the same, and the important fills are the same.
    But I add lib a lot and just have fun.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I would have to agree. Never a huge fan and I heard he was extremely down to earth.
    I also am a lefty playing right and like the creativity behind the ability.

Makes me wonder, how many drummers strive to play each song the same every single time and who wing it.
    I tend to wing it but the core of course is the same, and the important fills are the same.
    But I add lib a lot and just have fun.
    I'm pretty much the same. I basically just wing it. I typically keep close to the same rythum structure for each individual song, but sometimes I even deviate that. Fills are always improvised...but if I play something that I like, I try to remember it the next time.

To some extent, I have to play that way. Some nights, our lead vocalist can make Willie Nelson sound consistent, LOL. I need to stay alert, anticipate what he's going to do next and be ready to drop or add a beat on the fly if needed. There are many times when the impromptu emotion and energy of the band is almost magical....and a few times when I just ride it out in the pocket and pray for the song to end, LOL.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I saw this tribute to Ringo recently and I never get tired of it. I was four years old when the Beatles were on the Ed Sullivan Show and I was confused by all of the screaming. It was really frightening for me to watch these girls literally go mad over these guys. Then it dawned on me later why.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I saw this tribute to Ringo recently and I never get tired of it. I was four years old when the Beatles were on the Ed Sullivan Show and I was confused by all of the screaming. It was really frightening for me to watch these girls literally go mad over these guys. Then it dawned on me later why.

Great video and tribute to Ringo he's my favourite out of the Beatles....but admittedly i was never a fan but Ringo always seemed to be the joker and most likeable

User Info Menu

as long as everybody else knows that it might not be played the same and are ok with that then it shouldn't be a problem.

I keep to the recorded version of what we play to a certain degree.. but do a little extra sticking in places that won't effect the important ques of the songs
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I'm left handed as well . Eat, throw, write, driving, cook, but playing drums right handed. I tried setting up left before and it felt weird to me. Funny how the brain works, I'm a mechanic and I use tools in both hands neither hand is dominant.

User Info Menu

Personally I don't consider Ringo as under rated. I believe he got his due recognition. With a single television appearance he took the Ludwig Drum Company from a medium size business to a gigantic business in a matter of weeks. No drummer before or since can make that claim. Long story short, he inspired a lot of people to take up the drums.

all the best...

User Info Menu

i agree with kay-gee here. he's not underrated maybe a bit overlooked at times. He's had his share of magazine covers that's for sure.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

For some reason this guy doesn't get the recognition that he deserves. I've been on other forums where this topic is highly debated. I also have to admit I'm not a big Beatles fan as well. But I do give Ringo credit for what he has done with his career.

User Info Menu

Rich................thanks for posting that video................very cool.
    I have always been a huge Beatle fan and a Ringo fan...................if there was ever a band that received divine intervention....................

In addition to all of the agreeable information in that video, I would suggest Mr. Starkey (smartly) made the most of his opportunity.
    He also overcame alcoholism and is still making the most of his opportunities with the All-Starr bands.
    I've seen three of them live and they are magnificent....................a very smart and successful idea.

I too am a lefty playing righty...............the right-hand leads are no problem.
    I write and throw left................everything else is righty..............especially swinging bats and golf clubs.
    I kick field goals and soccer balls equally as well with either foot.
    But......................I do use a left foot lead on most double-bass patterns.................weird but I make it work.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Goro View Post
    For some reason this guy doesn't get the recognition that he deserves. I've been on other forums where this topic is highly debated. I also have to admit I'm not a big Beatles fan as well. But I do give Ringo credit for what he has done with his career.
    But, I mean in his time he got tons of recognition. We must remember that Beatlemania was over 50 years ago. There are millions of pop/rock groups that I hear every day on the radio, and elsewhere, that I couldn't even name any of the band members let alone the drummers name.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    But, I mean in his time he got tons of recognition. We must remember that Beatlemania was over 50 years ago. There are millions of pop/rock groups that I hear every day on the radio, and elsewhere, that I couldn't even name any of the band members let alone the drummers name.

all the best...
    I agree 100%

User Info Menu

Can't argue with what kay-gee said about Ringo and Ludwigs. Past that point, "I am a/the walrus" and "We all live in a yellow submarine", please, give me a break. If they came from Brooklyn, they would have been laughed out of town.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Can't argue with what kay-gee said about Ringo and Ludwigs. Past that point, "I am a/the walrus" and "We all live in a yellow submarine", please, give me a break. If they came from Brooklyn, they would have been laughed out of town.
    I'm with you on that one, Rick. That whole Psych phase they went through was not my favorite either. They got pretty bizarre. However, it was their departure from the "norm" and mixing of styles, non-traditional instruments and such that opened the door for creativity within the business. Even though I don't care for 99% of their stuff, I do respect their pioneering efforts.
    That said, there's still a couple of their songs that I crank up when they come on the radio..... Let It Be and While My Guitar Gently Weeps.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Now that's a crazy story! I wondered why all these columnist and DJs suck up to these artist. There afraid of the recoil from the public

User Info Menu

"Now that's a crazy story! I wondered why all these columnist and DJs suck up to these artist. There afraid of the recoil from the public"

Years ago, it was just letter's to the editor. Now it's your a$$ at 10 paces.

In all of the years I played, 1st band in 1961, until 2005, I've never been asked to play a beatles song.

There are 4 things I wouldn't do or ever have:

1) I never did cowbell and, obviously never will.

B) Will never own a china cymbal. The worst sounding cymbal EVER.

3) Never owned a metronome. If you can't count to 4?????????????????????????

D) Never played a beatles song, obviously never will.

User Info Menu

Rick...................I completely agree with #3.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)