Thread: Rock & Roll w/ "rootsy" percussion !

User Info Menu

Default Rock & Roll w/ "rootsy" percussion !

As I have talked about before, my main gig is 'folk percussionist' in an acoustic/bluegrass band. But yesterday I had a rare opportunity to sit in with an old friend and former bandmate, and his current group. Played some good old electrified Rock & Roll. .. with washboard, spoons and Louson® strap-on box drum !! A change of pace for me... and for the audience too. Maybe they weren't sure what to expect at first, but they enjoyed it. As the man said, "been a long time since I rock-and-rolled"

20171028_Louson_2a.jpg20171028_spoons.jpg20171028_1.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JoePasko; 10-30-2017 at 04:14 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Rock & Roll w/ "rootsy" percussion !

Awesome! It definitely works. Folk, Bluegrass and Blues are the roots of Rock-n-roll. Mandolin, Fiddle, Banjo, harp....they all fit. No reason folk percussion can't fit as well! The only boundaries are people's preconceived notions.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I have to say, you had it going on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Awesome! It definitely works. Folk, Bluegrass and Blues are the roots of Rock-n-roll. Mandolin, Fiddle, Banjo, harp....they all fit. No reason folk percussion can't fit as well! The only boundaries are people's preconceived notions.
    That's right. And as you may guess from the photos, my friend's band plays a blues/country-inflected style of rock w/ a twangy twin-telecaster attack. My friend, Brian, is on the right, in the photos up above. He and I were a few bands together in the 90's (back then, playing bass was my main gig). Here's a pic of the two of us, from 25 years ago (before the gray scraggly whiskers) :

years_ago.jpg

(time flies)
    Last edited by JoePasko; 10-31-2017 at 06:20 AM.

User Info Menu

Most of my public music career was as an R&R bassist.
    It's only been for the last 5 years, or so, that I have played the role of full-time percussionist in a band (since joining up with these geezers here).
    It it was something I had always wanted to try, and well, here I am !

flurry_b.JPGflurry_a.jpg
    Last edited by JoePasko; 10-31-2017 at 11:02 AM.