Thread: Question about Aquarian bass drum and snare drum heads.

User Info Menu

Default Question about Aquarian bass drum and snare drum heads.

I'm going back to Aquarian heads.

8", 10", 12", 14", 16"
    Response 2 coated black on the tops of my toms and floor toms. Probably Classic Clears on the bottoms.

22" Regulator on the resonant side but I'm stuck on what to get for the batter side. I'm looking for a quick punch, low pitch, wet pronounced attack. I do not want anything that sounds "open" or "boomy". I play in top 40 dance cover bands and I use a D6. I'm also a sound engineer that's mic'd up many drum kits throughout the years.I really hope Aquarian offers something with these characteristics THAT IS BLACK. I'd like a coated black bass drum batter. I've used the Super Kick 2 and the Impact 1 and 2 yyyyyyears ago.

Snare drum... I'm just looking at what Aquarian has on the site. I'm just not sure what to order. I do not want a "ringy" sound. I want a nice versatile "woody" sound but with no funky ring. That funky ring can be desirable in certain situations but I already have another snare for that. I want something more dead/pre muffled and hopefully in black coating.

I'm looking for thoughts and suggestions on the bass drum batter side and snare resonant and batter sides.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Question about Aquarian bass drum and snare drum heads.

I wanted to try Aquarian heads on my newest kit, but I couldn't find anything I liked. for the bass batter in black. Ended up going with Remo Black Suede on everything---PS3 bass batter, Ambassadors top and bottom on the toms, Black X over Black suede snare side (4-mil) on the steel snare, and finished it off with a Tattoo Skyn Skulls bass reso. The matte finish doesn't show stick marks like the shiny ones do (don't use nylon tips), and there is no coating to wear off. I had no quality issues with any of the heads. I usually just mix heads from different brands, but I wanted to see if I could get the whole kit to sound and look good with just one brand. Mission accomplished!!

100_5824.jpg

100_5825.jpg

100_5826.jpg

User Info Menu

I'd suggest a Response II for the kick batter. They're available in 22 and come in black and I think coated black. Maybe add a kick pad to it. They have white and black ones.

For snare a high performance for the snare side is my pick. They have the extra protection where the snare wire ends lay and quite possibly a Response II for the snare batter too.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

That's great! Thank you "hippychip"!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    I'd suggest a Response II for the kick batter. They're available in 22 and come in black and I think coated black. Maybe add a kick pad to it. They have white and black ones.

For snare a high performance for the snare side is my pick. They have the extra protection where the snare wire ends lay and quite possibly a Response II for the snare batter too.
    Thank you "slinky". I was leaning that way.

User Info Menu

I had great luck with the Aquarian clear SKII bass drum batter head. It's got a nice punchy sound and with the foam ring on the inside, it cuts down on a lot of the overtones and allows me to keep the bass drum empty of any laundry. As for an Aquarian snare batter, I tried the Aquarian Hi Energy batter. I had it on a steel Premier 5.5x14" snare drum. It cut a lot of the ring down and it's one you may want to look into.

t440_e166cf7565e0d0d3a99f7ad1c7968a03.jpg

The Hi-Energy snare drum batter is a clear, 10mil, single-ply drumhead with an extremely thin layer of proprietary Power Dot™ material “bonded” to the entire surface of the head. The center of the head is then reinforced with an additional small Power Dot™. Designed for heavy hitters who want a powerful sound and durability, the HE snare drum batter is also suitable for general purpose playing and responds with clarity and sensitivity to even the lightest strokes.

User Info Menu

I started using the Super Kick 10 when I was breaking PS3 batters.......................I had never gone through bass batters before and it was due to the "hammers" that are stock equipment on the Speed Cobra double I bought.
    I swapped out the beaters and am back to using common felt (Yamaha medium) beaters.....................all is good..................actually better.
    I don't break batter heads and I like the feel and sound better too.
    I still use the SK10 because it sounds so good and is very durable.
    I'm also using Aquarian batters (Super 2 clear) on toms.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)