Thread: Dropping sticks less with small kit vs. medium kit.

User Info Menu

Default Dropping sticks less with small kit vs. medium kit.

Well after practicing yesterday on my Ludwig breakbeat drum kit. Noticed that I didn't drop my sticks like when I am playing on my Gretsch kit which is alittle larger. Plus I feel more comfortable on a smaller kit. However I did notice that my lower back was hurting alittle while sitting on my tama drum throne. Thinking of getting a more comfortable drum throne like a bike seat throne ( I think that's the name). Maybe the height of a person does make alittle difference when it comes to playing drums. A 16",18" or 20" bass would be more comfortable for me. What are your thoughts on this subject?

Keep drumming
    Gregg

User Info Menu

Default Re: Dropping sticks less with small kit vs. medium kit.

Absolutely look into a new throne if you feel the current one is causing some issues on comfort. The less distractions you have during playing will keep you focused on the music, tempo and dynamics.

By the way, if you're dropping sticks, it's a good sign that you're hands are relaxed. I know it can be frustrating to drop a stick but it happens to all of us at one point.

User Info Menu

Pretty confident telling you that there is no correlation between frequency of stick dropping to size of drum kit. One thing it does relate to is how relaxed you are.......so that's the good news.

User Info Menu

When I went to my small kits, I noticed I tended to play more "hunched over", which gave me lower back pain. Make sure you're sitting upright with good posture. It's tempting to put the mounted tom low on a small kit, but that will cause you to lean forward. Try to keep it as high as you would on a full size kit. Adding a backrest to my throne that's adjusted to support my lower back also keeps me more upright and pain free.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Raise your rack tom up. I played the breakbeat and had the tendency to have the rack tom almost level with the snare because the kick was so small. But it feels a lot better when the rack tom is higher up. You don’t have to reach for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Yeah with a little kit vs my medium kit vs my big kit I play so much different.
    Regardless I'm such a loose style drummer I still drop sticks