Thread: Help a Newbie Start Recording?

User Info Menu

Default Help a Newbie Start Recording?

Recently I got myself a Focusrite interface and a large diaphragm condenser on the cheap to start some home recording.
    I fired up the Logic Pro X and was surprised: 1) how easy it is, and 2) how decent the sound is with little effort

So now I've got the recording bug and want to make half-decent tracks. I grabbed another LDC and a Nady DMK-7 kit second-hand and want to start experimenting. WANT TO HELP A BROTHER?

Recognizing that there is no limit to how much you can spend on quality gear, I am quite broke and looking to spend the minimum! I used just 1 LDC (M-Audio Solaris) in front of the kit and was amazed how respectable the sound was! Big, rich kick tone but can't do any mixing of course.

As far as I can tell, I need another interface beyond the 2i4 I have for more inputs. I see the 18i20 would work, but it's a bit steep. I don't necessarily want to use all the mics (would love a work-around if possible -sub-mix maybe?).

Reviews of the Nady mics mostly say the overhead condensers (CM88) are decent, the other mics have varied reviews. I will use the DM80 kick mic and one DM70 on the snare, thought 1 CM88 on the hihat might be a good idea... Anyway I'll experiment obviously but please fire away your suggestions for a cheap interface and techniques with what I have.
    Last edited by Natman; 11-05-2017 at 04:31 PM.
    Taye Tourperformer, PDP Hammered bronze snare, 15" Diril Primitive hats, 17" XPlosion, 10" duo splash, 15" Xtreme china, 22" HHX Omni, 7" cup chime, Yamaha 9415 w. Vickicks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Help a Newbie Start Recording?

Second try

What interface can I get away with that's cheap but effective? The 18i20 is a bit more than I want to spend.

I would like to use the mics I have already because they were affordable (Nady 7-piece kit, 2 M-Audio LDC's). I might grab a SM57 just because, but not looking to invest more. I do plan to try making a subkick just because I have spare speakers hanging around.

My goal is to do full micing so I can try mixing. The result with just 1 room mic surprised me, but can't tweak anything!
    Taye Tourperformer, PDP Hammered bronze snare, 15" Diril Primitive hats, 17" XPlosion, 10" duo splash, 15" Xtreme china, 22" HHX Omni, 7" cup chime, Yamaha 9415 w. Vickicks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Help a Newbie Start Recording?

Look at some of the offerings from Behringer. Or you can use a USB mixer plugged into your computer. A lot of youtube videos are recorded with a USB mixer plugged into a computer.
    Mapex Saturn flat black maple burl. 2 up 2 down. Mapex black panther black widow snare,Ludwig Acrolite,Ludwig Supraphonic,Tama SLP power maple.