Thread: for the drum dial..

User Info Menu

Default for the drum dial..

okay so just a quick question. im not sure how the dial reads the tension of the skin in numbers but ill guess.

say Drumchick had the same drum set as me (acoustic) and she used a drum dial to measure out her tension of her tom and it came out to be say.. 70.

and i did the exact same thing to my set with the same tom and measured the tension out to be 70. would we both have the exact same sound? giving that the room, heads, and everything else that plays a roll in the sound of a drum is the same.

User Info Menu

No, unless you have the exact same drums. You would have to have the exact same shell wood, and the exact same shell diameters and depth for it to be as you described. Although with DC, anything is possible!

If I understand the DrumDial, what it will do is help you to get each drum in tune with itself (even tuning all the way around), and will give you a number for each head when you find that perfect tone for each drum. You write down the numbers and then when you are tuning the next time, you whip out the DrumDial and get each drum to the number that you had when you were perfectly tuned the last time. At least that it what I read in an article when I was considering the DrumDial.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

well, keeping in mind all those factors that make up the sound of a drum are the same, would the drum sound the same with the drum dial? =S

User Info Menu

in theory yes

User Info Menu

All factors being exactly equal, the DrumDial should produce the same result, time after time.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

<sigh> wish i could. the problem is, my family doesnt have a credit card or anything, so i cant do that. FRICK.. Iv lost so many good deals because of not having a credit card. unless I can get my music store to order it from drumbum, doubt it tho, any suggestions?

User Info Menu

oops i meant to put that message in the "manufacter" thread

User Info Menu

thank you guys

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Although with DC, anything is possible!
    You got that right LOL

User Info Menu

Glue content also factors in. All considered, it should sound very close.

User Info Menu

hes talking the exact same drums
    molecularly identical copies

User Info Menu

THANK you Kjbakke! hahaha

User Info Menu

I've got a drum dial and while it can be helpful in getting the tuning of the drums in the relative ball park, it does not really enable repeatable results. When it comes to tuning, nothing works as well as your ears. While I'm on the subject, I've heard about tuning tricks like lightly pressing the center of the drum while tuning, but that yields a different sound than you'll get while actually playing. Tuning, for me, works like this: I get the floor tom at as low a pitch as possible and the primary rack tom as high as it can go before choking or causing the snare drum to buzz excessively. The secondary rack tom(s) gets tuned in between. I like a long sustain, so I tune the top heads to the same pitch as the bottom heads. The real secret to tuning is this: Take no more than five minutes per drum and realize that overtones are an unavoidable fact of life when playing wide open drums. If you don't like overtones, a lightweight set of mylar muffler rings works absolute wonders and you can snip away at the inside diameter until you get exactly the amount of dampening you like. Realize, though, that even if you were to achieve a complete lack of overtones, that would turn your drum into a pitched instrument (like a timpani) which would then be capable of playing discordant wrong notes when playing with the rest of the band.

Jugster

User Info Menu

Jugster, welcome to Drum Chat, and thanks for the input!