Thread: Cymbals for Acoustic Gigs

User Info Menu

Default Cymbals for Acoustic Gigs

What cymbals would be recommended for quiet acoustic gigs? Like with either slightly amped or no amped guitars, etc.
    Is there a cymbal pack out there to make shopping real easy?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cymbals for Acoustic Gigs

Use smaller diameter and thin cymbals. Control how, when and which ones you hit. That's really all it amounts to.

I play these types of gigs frequently. Most times in very small places. I use a 10"splash, 12"splash, 14" thin crash & 16" thin crash. splash cymbals work great as a crash for acoustic gigs. The small, thin cymbals allow you to hit them hard enough so they "open up" and get a crash sound without being loud. Nothing sounds worse than a heavy "Rock" ride that's hit softly. Also, pay attention to where you play on the ride. You can control the wash and keep it from overpowering the band by playing it closer to the bell.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
    What cymbals would be recommended for quiet acoustic gigs? Like with either slightly amped or no amped guitars, etc.
    Is there a cymbal pack out there to make shopping real easy?
    In my opinion, cymbal packs that are labeled for genres such as "Worship" or "Rock" music is a marketing ploy. The dynamics for a drummer to support musicians in acoustic setting requires a delicate touch and the skill to play quietly. N2Bluz posted some great advice on cymbal selection according to specific sizes and you can use Hot Rod bundles or light sticks to help with the volume too.

Cymbals that are labeled as "Dry" will help facilitate light playing. The quick decay and subtle overtones from dry cymbals keep the overall stage volume in check.

User Info Menu

N2Bluz. That's it exactly. The heavy ones I have don't "open up" when hit softly. I have loud rock cymbals. They just don't cut it when hit softly. Even with hotrod bundles don't quite do it when I'm playing with a couple of acoustic guitars. They're just not the right sound.
    Now with all the brands and grades what would be a good middle of the road series?

User Info Menu

Sabian makes a XS DB which is a super light cymbal with low volume.
    They are discontinued now but you can find them new all over the internet.

User Info Menu

The Sabian B8X set that i've been playing has been nice for this.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

The big 4 make great cymbals for these applications. I'm looking myself, starting a coffee shop circuit. I'll say go with a thin or med-thin. Other companies are trying to get more competitive .with there cymbal line, like Wuhan and Stagg.