Thread: rudiments

User Info Menu

Default rudiments

I have been playing drums off and on since '81 at 11 now 47. how long do you guys practice your rudiments for? Do you practice them every day or how often. I am bad at a lot of them and I know I need to focus more on the ones I am not really good at and then bring them up to speed which will take awhile I know.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Default Re: rudiments

As a beginner i don't really know where to start with rudiments i practice a few paradiddles and single and double stroke roles but if i'm practicing on just my snare i always start practicing military style stuff or silly melodies of songs just on the snare...i just can't seem to grasp the concept of playing rudiments...i know this is taboo lol....but I find doing stuff i enjoy more beneficial to me than something that's supposedly the holy grail of Drumming...if i don't enjoy something it seems pointless to me....i know i will ruffle some feathers here but i tend to practice stuff for me....not just because it's a supposed rule....my teacher reckons half of it he's forgotten or never bothered learning...Unfortunately i have always gone against the grain.

User Info Menu

I was playing drums for about 5 years before I found out that there were rudiments. We had no drum teacher in my hometown when I started, and no drummers that seemed to want to help me.

I bought a book of rudiments and taught myself all of them. Found out as I went along that there were about 6-7 that you actually used, (both in jazz and R&R) so learn them, but don't make yourself nuts over them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Found out as I went along that there were about 6-7 that you actually used, (both in jazz and R&R) so learn them, but don't make yourself nuts over them.
    I find this to be the truth.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I find this to be the truth.
    Likewise

Rudiments are kind of the building blocks of drumming. (think like scales are to a piano) The wider your vocabulary and the better your execution of them, the more of an interesting drummer you become.

But there is no need to obsess over rudiments. Mainly become proficient at the ones you know and develop your unique style around them. Grooving is the most important part of drumming. Knowing every rudiment in the book doesn't mean much if you can't drive a band!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Thanks for the comments guys. So which ones do we use the most?
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Single and double stroke rolls, paradiddles, any form of triplets, ruffs, flams, scotch, blondes, and last, but not least, scotch and blondes.

The 1st 6 are mandatory, the last 2 are optional but are highly recommended.

User Info Menu

I've been playing drums off and on since '81 and I'm 57. Out of the 40 drum rudiments, I practice the 7 essential rudiments. I don't know who or how these were selected but they seem to cover the ones I hear the most played in rock music.

rudiment-chart.jpg
    Last edited by late8; 12-13-2017 at 03:40 PM.

User Info Menu

I like the last two Rick. 8 thanks for the written parts. We started playing the same year.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CB700 View Post
    We started playing the same year.
    Yes we did Conrad! Welcome back!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Likewise

Rudiments are kind of the building blocks of drumming. (think like scales are to a piano) The wider your vocabulary and the better your execution of them, the more of an interesting drummer you become.

But there is no need to obsess over rudiments. Mainly become proficient at the ones you know and develop your unique style around them. Grooving is the most important part of drumming. Knowing every rudiment in the book doesn't mean much if you can't drive a band!

all the best...
    I like that advice....i played Bass and Guitar for many years and learnt scales and modes, chord inversions, intervals ect but it doesn't make you a better player i became reasonably knowledgeable on both instruments but I prided myself on FEEL and TECHNIQUE more than anything...i just fell out of love with both instruments and have now taken up the Drums and I think the things I learnt on Bass and Guitar have imposed themselves on the Drums i think i have a good Feel and Groove, only been playing about 6 months but I feel at home with them...i have a ton of work ahead of me but enjoying my new challenge just wish I had started years ago as at 56 times running out....fingers crossed
    Last edited by Stoney; 12-14-2017 at 12:08 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks Late8
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CB700 View Post
    Thanks Late8
    You're welcome!

User Info Menu

I've started to think of practicing many rudiments as being kind of like having a really wide english vocabulary that you'll never naturally use in conversation. I think we've all met some of those people that throw in a few big words in conversations just to try to sound smarter, saying more words but not more things.. It's just mentally jarring to listen to. Similarly some drummers fall into the trap of pulling out some complicated rudiment/fill/pattern when it's clearly not called for just to show that they can do it. In those cases it's quite simply often impractical and musically inappropriate.

On the flip side though, some people really are more intelligent and speak in a more articulate way because that's just how their thoughts come out, and the more advanced drummers will be able to more tastefully pull out a triple ratamacue just as naturally as, say, a little single stroke roll on the toms.

All rudiments potentially have their place but the guys here have already nailed it, you'll definitely use some much more often than others. I think it comes down to being critical of your own playing, recognizing the purpose of practicing the rudiments and trying to relate them to your playing to see which ones deserve more attention. So the simple ones, such as the single stroke and double stroke, are really quite essential and are worth spending a bit more of your time on, I'd say.

User Info Menu

" Similarly some drummers fall into the trap of pulling out some complicated rudiment/fill/pattern when it's clearly not called for just to show that they can do it. In those cases it's quite simply often impractical and musically inappropriate."

While I agree with you to a point, 1 has to realize that there are (in our case) drummers out there that are just better than others, have a larger drum vocabulary, and are able to add a different "flavor" to a song that other drummers either can't or won't do.

User Info Menu

i practiced the paradiddle for about 30min 25years ago..
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    i practiced the paradiddle for about 30min 25years ago..
    I've seen some video of you....you're doing them without knowing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SonorWhacker View Post
    I think we've all met some of those people that throw in a few big words in conversations just to try to sound smarter, saying more words but not more things.... Similarly some drummers fall into the trap of pulling out some complicated rudiment/fill/pattern when it's clearly not called for just to show that they can do it. In those cases it's quite simply often impractical and musically inappropriate.
    This is the point... sometimes a well placed flam is all the punctuation a section of song would need. However, when the song calls for something more, you need to have the goods to say it. I personally never gave rudiments a fair shake, and I think its held my playing back as compared to guys that have. While I don't play professionally, It's something I really want to change in my playing, just for me.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

If you get tired of practicing rudiments, try getting a book that makes you use them in different ways. It takes away some of the boredom. Like Joe Morello's Master Studies.

Also, a kind of fun way to work on rudiments is to work through rudimentary snare drum contest solos. Look for books by Pratt, Wilcoxin, Moore, Able.
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!