Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your preferred type of Snare

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default What's your preferred type of Snare

Just wondering what type of Snare you guyz prefer....ie, Wood, Steel, Brass, Aluminium ect....and why do you have this particular preference.....do certain materials give a paticular sound or feel? Please excuse the question but i'm new to Drumming and only have a Electronic kit at present but want to get an Acoustic Kit possibly in the new year and would like some advice ect. Hope to hear your views, thanks Stoney.

User Info Menu

Default Re: What's your preferred type of Snare

My favorite snare is my 13x7 G-Maple Tama.
    Such a warm tight crack like the sound of a whip.
    I love a sharp cranked down snare myself.

But I own a snare in almost all types... just for the variety! haha

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    My favorite snare is my 13x7 G-Maple Tama.
    Such a warm tight crack like the sound of a whip.
    I love a sharp cranked down snare myself.

But I own a snare in almost all types... just for the variety! haha
    Thanks, once i get an Acoustic Kit i was thinking of going for a Wood snare as my electronic kit as some professional drum samples of....Maple, Oak, Birch and Beech kits the snares all sound great....like yourself though i think all types would be a good solution for all occasions

User Info Menu

I have a MCX Maple 6 ply snare and a Vintage Slingerland "Festival'' Steel snare. I use my steel snare the most. Lots of snap,crackle, pop to it. It also has it's own internal damper which is controlled on the outside with a knob. Great all around snare for me.

User Info Menu

I have a Mapex Black Panther Blade that I love. I still have my "stock" Mapex also.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

I use the Ludwig Black Beauty 5x14" as my "go to snare". It has a seamless shell spun from brass with nickel plating. For my ears, brass has a bit of warmth to it and it can punch through a loud stage mix. At the time I purchased the 5x14", I couldn't make up my mind if the 5" depth was deep enough so I bought the 6.5" version and rotated both through gigs and recording sessions. I finally made my mind up a few years ago and traded away the 6.5x14" BB and never regretted that decision.

5x14" Ludwig Black Beauty

10375992_906114859452717_74356119994270886_n_zpsi7zwwajy.jpg

6.5x14" Ludwig Black Beauty

19ba2d73-9a23-4cb2-8aff-01aa631735f8_zpskr1zowyu.jpg
    Last edited by late8; 12-15-2017 at 11:22 AM.

User Info Menu

I'm with Spaz on this. I also love my Tama SLP 13x7 G-Maple. I also have a Tama 14x6 Starphonic Maple Burl but the SLP just does everything
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

Thankyou for your replies guyz it means a lot to me....i have a lot to learn and just trying to get as much info ect on different aspects of Drumming....some interesting replies and i was looking at probably a Wood snare and Brass snare in the future....thanks again keep 'em coming

User Info Menu

Used wood & brass. Much prefer the tone of the wood (Maple). To me, it just suits heavier music more
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

I use 3 depending on the gig.

6.5x14 Ludwig Black Beauty
    6.5x14 Mapex Sledgehammer
    6.5x14 Pearl Masterworks Rosewood

User Info Menu

I've been a maple shell snare fan most of my playing days.
    But lately, I can't get away from this one....................G-4169B, pure bronze, 6.5X14, cast hoops, 20 lugs...............love the looks and the sound:

20171012_170328.jpg
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I've been a maple shell snare fan most of my playing days.
    But lately, I can't get away from this one....................G-4169B, pure bronze, 6.5X14, cast hoops, 20 lugs...............love the looks and the sound:

20171012_170328.jpg
    That's a beaut

User Info Menu

I have a maple snare and a Supraphonic, I've owned/played aluminum (Acrolite), mahogany and an old 3-ply Jazz Festival. Of all those I like the maple the best. Can't beat the warmth and beefiness of the sound. Works in any genre. Having said that, I like the Supra as well, it's just a different sound and comfortingly familiar. Both are versatile but I prefer the warmer tone of maple.

User Info Menu

I use a Ludwig brass LM303 (import for Ludwig) Like late8 said about his BB It's got a lot of tone for a metal drum. It's got some warmth to it also. Not all sharp and bright. I use it with my country band. At home I like my Tama Starclassic Performer birch that came with my kit. It's got a lot of crack tuned up med to high tension. At home I'm likely to play about anything.

User Info Menu

I typically rotate between maple, brass, and aluminum depending upon mood and venue.

Lately, I've been playing this one ... aluminum. Nice bright metallic sound that is not harsh and overpowering ...

Supra_3.jpg
    Last edited by dangermoney; 12-17-2017 at 02:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks again for your replies lots to ponder over and some interesting views....i think as i progress i will become obsessed like i did when I played Bass....i will probably over a period of time maybe have 2 or 3 snares for different occasions

User Info Menu

While I mess around with different snares now, in my playing days it was Black Beauty Super Sensitive's and Supras.

User Info Menu

7x13 maple has been my primary for a few years, and I LOVE the sound I get out it with some Pure Sound 20s on it. That being said, EVERYONE should own an Acrolite (5x14) for certain things. If you can find a used one for $100.00, snag it! Also, having just gotten a Chrome over Brass (6.5x14), I'd have to say that some kind of "fat brass" is a must have as well. Then there is the whole Picolo/Popcorn/side snare realm... I haven't had many of those, but I HAVE had my 5x12 maple for MANY years. I currently use it as a side snare, but I have used it as a 1 and only snare in other projects as well.
    Drummer for Almondy Brown and Redeemer Church of Lakeland | Session Artist | Private Instructor
    Facebook.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Instagram.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Twitter.com/PerryEarlDrums
    AlmondyBrown.com

User Info Menu

.................................................. ...............and the necessity of a "side" snare is................................................ ........?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    .................................................. ...............and the necessity of a "side" snare is................................................ ........?
    Totally not. lol
    Although I have a specific reason for using one in my band. We like a deeper, gooshy "rock n roll" snare sound for our more "rock n roll" parts, but we have a lot of really tight, funky, hip-hop-ish parts that sound better with a really tight, high, quick crack from another snare.
    Is it still "necessary"?.. no.
    Does the music sound better because of it, versus it just being a self indulgent "I use 2 snares" thing?.. Yes.
    Do I think about the sound guy and only use 2 toms, so that I'm still only looking to mic a 5 piece kit? Yes LOL
    Drummer for Almondy Brown and Redeemer Church of Lakeland | Session Artist | Private Instructor
    AlmondyBrown.com

User Info Menu

No more necessary than... say, windows in a car. Just nice to have, like a splash cymbal, or a choice of crashes.
    It's an option. I suppose if one wants the bare necessities, why would one have more than a bass, snare, and a HH?

User Info Menu

Actually fiberglass.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

@pgm554 That thing looks pretty sick. Especially the throw-off. What's it's dimensions?
    AlmondyBrown.com

User Info Menu

FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

My ultimate G.A.S. snare is a 14" Ludwig Classic Maple.

I play:

Drums & Hardware: DW.

Cymbals: Paiste.

Heads: Evans.

Sticks: Vic Firth and Pro Mark 5A, 7A.