Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone competing in GC DrumOff?

User Info Menu

Default Anyone competing in GC DrumOff?

It's GC Drum Off season.

Anyone competing in it here?
    I judged it last couple years at my local store.
    Won a store competition several years ago.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Anyone competing in GC DrumOff?

Maybe if I was a lot better lol
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    14x6 mapex stainless steel snare
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

Only if they have a 'drumset setter upper' or 'drumset taker downer' division. I'm pretty solid and efficient during set up and tear down.

User Info Menu

Maybe they have a division for "who can drink the most beer and still keep a beat"?
    I MIGHT stand a chance at that. At least it would be fun to try...
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Was approached a month ago or so about being a contestant or a judge. (by one of the Judges)

I declined.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

My son and I are going to watch one tonight, our instructor is one of the judges.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Have never had any interest in observing or participating in one of these.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Have never had any interest in observing or participating in one of these.
    My thoughts exactly.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

I would, just because it's fun to push myself to write an interesting solo. Very different than playing for a song.
    However, it's three hours round trip and I'd have to plan a special trip to both sign up and then compete. And if I did win the first round, I'd have to go compete a second time before I won anything at all. That's nine hours of driving.
    I gave it a couple of tries years ago and decided it wasn't worth my time any more. But it is a lot of fun in a nerve wracking sort of way.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

I think it's always great to hear others play.

I think it's a great way to hear new ideas and better yourself.

User Info Menu

I've judged them but never had any interest in competing.

User Info Menu

I've been out to see a few but the people competing weren't all that...good . There was one year tho that one of my students entered . That same year a guy entered who is in his late 40's and had studied drums North Texas State University and was gigging and even had students of his own . Totally unfair ! Naturally he won . But my 13 year old student came in a very close second . The thing that gets to me to this day is that when the guy went to Phoenix for the next round he wimped out and left right before he was suppose to go on ! Walked right out ! My student went and he said they had given him a hard time over his eligibility but they let him compeat . Turns out the guy was a heroin addict and was having a bad day . It came to haunt him tho . Couldn't get a gig after that and he's doing time right now for some dumb stuff . The thing is that it totally disillusioned my student . Just took the wind out of his sails . Stopped taking lessons , sold his kit and started going to trade school ... studying to be a vet tech .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    I've been out to see a few but the people competing weren't all that...good . There was one year tho that one of my students entered . That same year a guy entered who is in his late 40's and had studied drums North Texas State University and was gigging and even had students of his own . Totally unfair ! Naturally he won . But my 13 year old student came in a very close second . The thing that gets to me to this day is that when the guy went to Phoenix for the next round he wimped out and left right before he was suppose to go on ! Walked right out ! My student went and he said they had given him a hard time over his eligibility but they let him compeat . Turns out the guy was a heroin addict and was having a bad day . It came to haunt him tho . Couldn't get a gig after that and he's doing time right now for some dumb stuff . The thing is that it totally disillusioned my student . Just took the wind out of his sails . Stopped taking lessons , sold his kit and started going to trade school ... studying to be a vet tech .
    The rules state 16 years of age and older though?
    How did he compete?
    Or you mean your student of 13 years?

User Info Menu

See That's what gets me about these things is that the local guys will shun the rules and then send it down the line . Then there is the big surprise when they get to Phoenix . They put my student down as 16 ! He did not compete in Phoenix .
    This past week when my niece was here from Phoenix we were at GC and they tried to sign her up even tho she's only 15 . I told the guy " no we tried that already a few years back with someone else and it didn't work out " . The guy was surprised he had not heard about that ... but the employees here come and go so often . I bet there is a whole new crew there now !

User Info Menu

A CJ with a judge.

User Info Menu

I've had the person working in drums try to sign me up without my consent.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    14x6 mapex stainless steel snare
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

Nearest GC is 2.5 hours from here. I'm not good enough to do such a thing, tho I'd be interested in watching some of it.

Turns out a young guy who plays in bands around here just posted on Facebook that he was gonna go and do it. I'll be curious to see how he does, and hopefully talk to him about it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    That same year a guy entered who is in his late 40's and had studied drums North Texas State University and was gigging and even had students of his own . Totally unfair ! Naturally he won . But my 13 year old student came in a very close second .
    That's one of the reasons I don't do it. I'm always thinking of the younger kids. I don't need to win contests. Playing and practicing and getting better is enough for me.

User Info Menu

So we went and watched on Tuesday. They had 5 guys signed up for the first bracket, but only 3 showed up so they all advanced to the store finals. It was fun to see the guys jam, they were all pretty good but one guy did stand out among them. Turns out he has been playing since he was 3. He was having so much fun on the kit that it was infectious. We are going back next week to see the second bracket (6 guys) play.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    That's one of the reasons I don't do it. I'm always thinking of the younger kids. I don't need to win contests. Playing and practicing and getting better is enough for me.
    I agree . Kids seem to be more into it than the adults . It's the same with the "Battle of the Bands" thing that goes on . Almost all of the bands were of high school aged kids .

User Info Menu

I recently hooked up playing lead guitar for a young country singer who was only like 17 years old. And what was funny was he right away got us a gig in Downtown Forth Texas and a very old Saloon and it was a battle of the bands.

Well we played the show and did all right I guess for being a band just for a few weeks but there were bands there that ate our lunch!
    One was an all star band that had the Late Bugs Henderson's lead guitarist in it. It was a pleasurable butt whooping if that's even possible. But I was mostly just trying to help this kid out because he's going somewhere eventually if he sticks with it,I mean he's talented but stubborn and ****ey lol

But yeah You would think that an All Star band like that would have better things to do than play free battle of the band gigs but I guess not.
    I had a lot of time to think it over lying in this hospital bed...
    I monkeyed with another monkey's monkey
    And her gorilla whupped upon my head!~Johnny Paycheck

User Info Menu

You mean Billy Bob's ?
    BTW..............every band I ever saw Bugs play with, the lead guitarist was Bugs.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

No it was at the "White Elephant" and the all star band was Tin & Tonic. The kid I was backing had the mindset that he was just gonna blow everybody away and that he thought we'd be dukeing it out with other amateur bands but nope that not how it went down.
    But like I said the kid was like pretty much like most singers are. Young,talented and conceited and bullheaded and we all got took to school! I forget the guy's name but He works for Paul Reed Smith Guitars and yeah he's played with Bugs in the past.

User Info Menu

This guy http://www.guitarplayer.com/miscella...rs-guild/23525
    yep we ran into a telecaster buzzsaw monster..... The kid was like "Hey we got this..But as soon as I heard ol Danny Gatton here i was like "umm. No we ain't got this!" LOL
    Last edited by wired; 09-19-2016 at 09:32 PM.

User Info Menu

I see in the rules this year it says they aren't using the octopad!

To those who have gone to watch was this true?

Cause I'd be tickled pink to see them get rid of that thing