Thread: Tama Hyperdrive vs Gretsch Catalina

User Info Menu

Default Tama Hyperdrive vs Gretsch Catalina

Hi! Long time no see!

What's your thoughts? Gretsch is more expensive, Tama has better customer service where I live, music styles: power pop, alternative rock

Cheers!

Tama Royalstar: 14x22" Kick, 16x16" Floor Tom, 8x12" Tom, 9x13" Tom, 5x14" Snare

Zildjian A Custom: 20" Medium Ride, 18" Medium Crash, 16" Crash and 14" Hi-hats

Sabian B8 Pro: 18" China, 12" Splash

Soultone Extreme: 14" Hi-hats

LP Cowbell

Alesis DM6 USB eDrumkit

VALTIS Rock en espaρol

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tama Hyperdrive vs Gretsch Catalina

For the sake of debate, I'm going to assume you were looking at the two kits below? I found the Tama Superstar HyperDrive at $1,199.00 and the Gretsch Catalina with the free 8" tom at $999.00. Both were listed on MF. I'm sure both kits are well made but I'm a Gretsch guy and I would vote for the Catalina kit. I found it priced lower than the Tama and it has the added 8" tom. I'm also partial to the 30 degree bearing edge on the Gretsch vs the 45 degree on the Tama. I have two kits; one with 30 degree (Gretsch USA Custom) and 45 degree (DW Collectors) and I think the Gretsch sounds way better than the DW.

Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive Maple 6-Piece Shell Pack $1,199

canvas.jpg

OVERVIEW:

A low-profile Superstar setup with the classic tones of maple. For nearly forty years the Superstar name has stood for groundbreaking design, superior build quality, sterling tone, and clear projection. Now Tama introduces this legendary kit in its most sonically aggressive persona yet, featuring 100% maple shells. Thinner and livelier than ever, the Tama designers have dialed in the perfect combination of sensitivity and high-end "cut" and shallow toms for quicker resonance.

Drawing on Superstar of the past, its classic Tama T-shape badge and streamlined low-mass single lugs point to the simpler state of art of the '70s, while the ingenious Star-Mount system eclipses everything in its class-all at a surprisingly affordable price.

FEATURES:

Configuration
    • Bass Drum(s): 22" x 18"
    • Tom(s): 10" x 6-1/2", 12" x 7"
    • Floor Tom(s): 14" x 12", 16" x 14"
    • Snare: 14" x 5-1/2"
    • Total Pieces: 6
    • Hardware: Not Applicable
    • Cymbals: Not Applicable
    Shells
    • Shell Material: Maple
    • Construction: Multi-ply
    • Thickness (mm): Multiple
    • Bearing Edge: 45
    • Reinforcement Ring: Not Applicable
    Drum Hardware
    • Material: Zinc
    • Mounts: Suspended
    • Hoops: Die-cast
    • Lugs: Patented
    Other
    • Heads: Factory
    • Finish Type: Wrap
    Country of Origin: China

Gretsch Drums Catalina Maple 6-Piece Shell Pack with Free 8 in. Tom $999 (Walnut Glaze finish)

canvas1.jpg

OVERVIEW:

Experience the explosive attack of maple with this powerful Catalina Maple kit. The Catalina Maple series starts with the Gretsch maple formula shell. Gretsch carefully developed the maple shell specification to produce tones that explode with attack and volume, and project a balanced amount of warm, low-end frequencies. All Catalina Maple shells are 7-ply, 7.2 mm. Gretsch cuts the drums with 30-degree bearing edges for that "great Gretsch sound."

Gretsch hardware includes fully-adjustable Gretsch ball-and-socket tom holder with 12.7 mm tom arms, 9020-style mounting brackets and their famous 5-lug configuration (a standard Gretsch feature for over 50 years) for all 10 and 12 in. toms. The rounded badges on this 6-piece shell pack are a first on any Catalina Maple kit.

All drums feature a multi-step lacquer process that produces an extremely glassy-smooth finish that is hard and durable. In addition, Gretsch partnered with Remo drum heads to produce a distinctive batter and resonant head combination.

Catalina Maple drums are easy to tune and produce full tones right out of the box. Add-on drums are also available to allow for further drum set expansion.

Features:

Configuration
    • Bass Drum(s): 22" x 18"
    • Tom(s): 10" x 8", 12" x 9"
    • Floor Tom(s): 14" x 14", 16" x 16"
    • Snare: 14" x 6"
    • Total Pieces: 6
    • Hardware: Not Applicable
    • Cymbals: Not Applicable
    Shells
    • Shell Material: Maple
    • Construction: 7-Ply
    • Thickness (mm): 7.2
    • Bearing Edge: 30°
    • Reinforcement Ring: Not Applicable
    Drum Hardware
    • Material: Steel
    • Mounts: Suspended
    • Hoops: Triple-flange
    • Lugs: Low-Mass
    Other
    • Heads: Branded
    • Finish Type: Multiple
    • Country of Origin: Taiwan

User Info Menu

Hi late8!

You are right! That's exactly the models I am looking for.

In Mexico Tama has very good deals, and Gretsch is more expensive.

Shell packs:

Tama 6pc $1200
    Gretsch 6+1pc $1500

Tama includes the tom holders, Gretsch doesn't but includes the 8" tom.

Those are the colors I am comparing.

Well, I decided to buy the Tamas and use the price difference to buy the hardware, I don't use the 8" tom and there's no ecosystem around here (hardware, spare parts, etc)

Thanks for the reply!!
    Tama Royalstar: 14x22" Kick, 16x16" Floor Tom, 8x12" Tom, 9x13" Tom, 5x14" Snare

Zildjian A Custom: 20" Medium Ride, 18" Medium Crash, 16" Crash and 14" Hi-hats

Sabian B8 Pro: 18" China, 12" Splash

Soultone Extreme: 14" Hi-hats

LP Cowbell

Alesis DM6 USB eDrumkit

VALTIS Rock en espaρol

User Info Menu

Sounds like a great choice! Owned a set of Starclassics at the same. Time as DW Collectors and the Tamas were every bit as well made. Either would be a good choice, but you saved a bunch without giving up anything.....

User Info Menu

Tama Superstar in a landslide for my choice
    -Tama Granstar II (12x11, 16x16, 22x16)
    -Yamaha 7000 Series (12x8, 13x9, 16x16 22x18)
    -Crush Sublime E3 (12x8, 16x14, 24x17)
    -Pearl Mixed Series kit (8x7, 10x8, 15x13, 20x14)
    -Brady Jarrah Ply 8x14
    -HHG Purpleheart/Cherry Stave 7x14
    -HHG Red Birch Stave 7x14
    -Pearl Masters MCX 5.5x14
    -Pearl Steel (Pre-Sensitone) 6.5x14
    -Pearl Vintage Professional Series 6.5x14
    -Tama Imperialstar Seamless Steel 6.5x14
    -Tama Soundworks Maple 6.5x14
    -Premier (African Mahogany with Beech Re-rings) 8x14
    -Remo Bravo II 5.5x14
    -OCDP Maple 6x14
    -Crush Aluminum 5.5x14
    -Crush 10 ply Maple 6x14
    -Trixon Birch 5.5x14
    -Wuhan Traditional Cymbals
    -Paiste 2002, 602,

User Info Menu

now me personally... I would go with the Tama but right now that is just more my style.
    Love the virgin bass drum look and I can set it up multiple way to my liking.

I do love the extra 8" tom on the gretsch but in Rock I just don't use my 8" as much.
    So not as important plus I bet you can get an 8" down the road somewhere if really wanted for the Tama

User Info Menu

Thanks!

Well I am upgrading from a 5pc to a 6pc so I am perfect w/o the 8" tom

Hope to upload some videos soon

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    now me personally... I would go with the Tama but right now that is just more my style.
    Love the virgin bass drum look and I can set it up multiple way to my liking.

I do love the extra 8" tom on the gretsch but in Rock I just don't use my 8" as much.
    So not as important plus I bet you can get an 8" down the road somewhere if really wanted for the Tama

User Info Menu

Yeah would love to see some vids