Thread: Interesting conversation with someone looking to start a band

User Info Menu

Default Interesting conversation with someone looking to start a band

So I've got a drummer group on Facebook that I'm a member of and last night a guy came on and made an advertisement for a drummer. His ad listed the band name and requirements to be a member. One requirement was "you will have to take off work for long lengths of time to tour but you may not get paid."

I responded and told the guy that will run a lot of people off. He responded by saying he is in a regional touring band so you have to be off work to tour, but they only get $30 per gig for many gigs.

I told him I live in an area where the music scene sucks and the least I've made after the entire band got their cut was $150 a night.

I told him his time and his bands time is worth more than $30 and I didn't feel they are a legit touring band if they are making $30 a night.

He responded by saying that is their lifestyle. Use the money to feed the band and sleep in a van between shows. I asked how they got money for gas and didn't get a response.

Many other drummers chimed in as well and posted the same things I was saying. His main response is that they were trying to get an agent and a record deal. I asked how he planned on paying an agent on $30 a night?

Needless to say, eventually pulled his post down.

I did tell him that he should demand more money for gigs. $30 wouldn't get me off of my couch unless it was for a benefit show. He said he didn't think he could get more so he doesn't ask for it. I told him that right there was his problem. No bar owner is going to turn down a band that only wants $30. He will cover his costs in the first 30 minutes.

Of course he used the "they tell us to come out and play for exposure" line. I told him to call the same bar and tell them he wants to throw a party but can't afford to pay for drinks, but the party would be great exposure for the bar, then wait and see how fast they hang the phone up.

He seemed to understand that, and saw where I was going with things. He then started asking about having contracts with venues and asking how to ask for more money before he deleted the post.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Interesting conversation with someone looking to start a band

I've seen this "wanna be a rock star" several times over the years. It would be funny if it wasn't so damn pathetic.

User Info Menu

A guy I met through a friend wanted me to play bass for his band a couple of years ago, and said he had gigs lined up---we practiced for a few weeks at my house using my drums and PA, and everybody seemed to get along. Ok so far. About a month before the first gig I found out we would be playing for free drinks, and the drummer didn't have a kit---they expected to use mine because I was "in the band" I was still ok with it because he promised paying gigs, and we were pretty good. When I went to check the place out and talk to the owner of the bar I found out I was going to provide the PA---needless to say I'm not "in the band" anymore.

User Info Menu

Perfect example of how difficult it is to find the right people to play with.

User Info Menu

people n bands need to give it their best shot while they're young because if nothing significant happens by 40, if that lucky star never shines down... better start thinking about getting medical n dental insurance for yourself.

fame n fortune in the music biz if that's what somebody wants can't happen for everyone and most likely it wont. Just the way it is. I accepted it a long time ago a few years after walking around Hollywood Blvd.

I like playing in original bands because i get to be me and its fun recording and having a few discs i can put in the stereo whenever i want and listen to myself. Simple as that.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    people n bands need to give it their best shot while they're young because if nothing significant happens by 40, if that lucky star never shines down... better start thinking about getting medical n dental insurance for yourself.
    Ha! If you get the chance.....watch this. If this slap of reality doesn't cure ya' nothin' will:

https://www.netflix.com/title/80106507

User Info Menu

yeah now that I have my daughter and a good full time job I know I'm done playing out touring.

But yeah $30 a show lol no dice.

User Info Menu

Heck, if I was single and young, with me responsibilities, I'd consider traveling from place to place, making just enough to survive. Can't say I make much more then $30 per gig by the time I deduct all gig expenses, LOL.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumWhipper View Post
    .........call the same bar and tell them he wants to throw a party but can't afford to pay for drinks, but the party would be great exposure for the bar.........
    Priceless.
    Worth remembering................
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    I totally agree with this and this is the reason why I keep being a roadie for the band, Damage Over Time for free. I give them kudos for trying as old as they are. All of the guys had hopes of making it on a label and touring the country but as the years go by, they just keep getting older. They compete with younger musicians who can get by on eating gas station burritos and living out of a van. If I knew back in the day at 18 what I know today at 57, maybe...

User Info Menu

Funny how people assume that any "creative" art (music, painting, teaching, etc.) should be cheap or even free...just because there's no tangible & physical product they can touch or see. Reminds me of the old mechanic joke;

A guy takes his car to every mechanic shop he can find in town to get his car fixed. They all hook it up to the analyzer, change every part they can think of, and none of them can fix it. Finally, upon advice from a buddy, he takes it to this old guy that works part time out of his garage. The old mechanic listens to the car, smiles and opens up his toolbox. He pulls out a small hammer, pops the hood, reaches over and quickly but gently gives three taps on the side of the cylinder head. Instantly, the car starts to run perfectly. He turns to the customer and says, "that'll be $750".
    The customer screams, "WHAT? $750???? All you did was tap on it with a hammer"
    The old mechanic smiles and says,"yep. It's $5 for the hammer and $745 for knowing where to hit it."
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

This sort of reminds me of punk bands like black flag who tour the nation on shoe string.. The thing is is this.. And it's just not the music business either but when you sell out for so cheap you are hurting every other musicians that tries to put food on their table! You know as well as I do that gear,gas,practice space rental if you pay that all adds up. Now most of us do this because we love it and don't really count the expense but shouldn't we expect some return on our time and investment? This guy should of been cussed out because its jerks like this that ruin it for everyone else. What's bad is a lot of these clubs expect you bring the crowd. That's not our job. Our job is to entertain the crowd! Some clubs in Dallas have this pay to play crap going on..Not No but H@!! NO!
    I had a lot of time to think it over lying in this hospital bed...
    I monkeyed with another monkey's monkey
    And her gorilla whupped upon my head!~Johnny Paycheck