So I've got a drummer group on Facebook that I'm a member of and last night a guy came on and made an advertisement for a drummer. His ad listed the band name and requirements to be a member. One requirement was "you will have to take off work for long lengths of time to tour but you may not get paid."

I responded and told the guy that will run a lot of people off. He responded by saying he is in a regional touring band so you have to be off work to tour, but they only get $30 per gig for many gigs.

I told him I live in an area where the music scene sucks and the least I've made after the entire band got their cut was $150 a night.

I told him his time and his bands time is worth more than $30 and I didn't feel they are a legit touring band if they are making $30 a night.

He responded by saying that is their lifestyle. Use the money to feed the band and sleep in a van between shows. I asked how they got money for gas and didn't get a response.

Many other drummers chimed in as well and posted the same things I was saying. His main response is that they were trying to get an agent and a record deal. I asked how he planned on paying an agent on $30 a night?

Needless to say, eventually pulled his post down.

I did tell him that he should demand more money for gigs. $30 wouldn't get me off of my couch unless it was for a benefit show. He said he didn't think he could get more so he doesn't ask for it. I told him that right there was his problem. No bar owner is going to turn down a band that only wants $30. He will cover his costs in the first 30 minutes.

Of course he used the "they tell us to come out and play for exposure" line. I told him to call the same bar and tell them he wants to throw a party but can't afford to pay for drinks, but the party would be great exposure for the bar, then wait and see how fast they hang the phone up.

He seemed to understand that, and saw where I was going with things. He then started asking about having contracts with venues and asking how to ask for more money before he deleted the post.