Thread: snare buzz

User Info Menu

Default snare buzz

I know 'snare vibrations' etc has been posted before, but I wanted to start a new thread specific to my questions so I hope you all dont mind. Ok, I will try and explain this the best I can. If I hit a tom for example, any tom, and my snare buzzes, does that mean that particular tom's reso is interfering with the snare? Or could it mean ANY other reso could be interfering?? I hope that makes sense.

Secondly, if I have the stereo playing and playing along to music. The bass from the speakers is making the snare buzz...what would it be then? Other reso's on the kit making the snare buzz or would it be the snare reso. I have tightened that sucker the best I can and fiddled around with it etc. Snare buzz wont go away. I know I need to sacrifice alot of time to get it right and I will do that but to help me out, any suggestions on my questions would definately help. Thanks everyone and PB, I know you are out there with some ideas matie.
    Last edited by livewire80; 12-06-2007 at 04:20 PM.

User Info Menu

Any note played on your stereo, or another drum etc. That has frequencies or harmonics similar to those of your resonant head on your snare will cause the snare to buzz. It sounds like you've tried tightening the resonant head of the snare have you tried lowering it? I've never been able to totally get rid of snare buzz, but have been able to reduce it by experimenting with different tunings of the resonant head of the snare. I've also tried detuning just the 4 tuning lugs on either side of the snare wires and that seems to help also. From what I can tell it's just a matter of trial and error. If your toms are causing buzzing and you don't want to retune the snare, you could try tuning the toms up or down a little also.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

What he said!!! LOL
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Oh my stars guys!! I cannot believe my innocent ears. Straight after I typed out this thread, I got on the kit and re-tuned my bass drum. I got on to that snare buzz too and this whole time my problem has been the tuning of the snare side skin! I also tightened the strap on both sides and I now have a beautiful sounding snare and no constant buzz with my double kicks. Guys you dont understand, this is an amazing break through for me and I am so happy about it LOL. There still, at times, is a very slight buzz which doesnt carry and doesnt linger at all. At least I am on the right track now.

Thanks for your responses.

User Info Menu

Buzzing snares have been around since the beginning of time. It is in the nature of the beast. It can be controlled to an certain level I suppose. I can be across the room singing and make em vibrate. If you do come across a solution please do let us know.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Cool snare buzz

Hey, mate!

Glad to hear you took care of that buzz...keep us posted!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Thanks BB, mate, honestly what a break through. Its like I have gone up another level in my drumming career being able to control the buzz of that snare. I have actually got it to the point where you cant hear the buzz at all except for a every so slight buzz which only lasts a second. I can hear the clear tones of my toms and my bass drum now!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Buzzing snares have been around since the beginning of time. It is in the nature of the beast. It can be controlled to an certain level I suppose. I can be across the room singing and make em vibrate. If you do come across a solution please do let us know.

all the best...
    Kay-gee, it took a number of different combinations and circumstances to control that buzz lol. Acoustics in the room play a big part then you got the positioning of the drums and last but not least the tuning combinations of all the other drum pieces on the kit.

User Info Menu

Sympathetic buzz from snare drums is a really common problem. Fortunatly it gets lost in the mix in live situations. But in a practise situation it can be really annoying. I don't know what kit you have. but it seems lately that manufactures are getting away from cutting snare beds in their snare drums. Especially on the more inexpensive models. There is less attention payed to these areas to keep costs down. I have found on drums with little to no snare bed, the buzzing seems more pronounced than drums with a deeper bed.. You might consider taking the snare off, and bottom head and setting your drum on a flat surface on the bottom bareing edge and shine a light inside the shell and look at the outside of the shell and see how much light passes through on the bottom of the shell that is against the flat surface. You will be able to see how much bed there is an if it needs to be increased. I cut a little deeper bed on my snare shell. It not only increased the adjustability of my snare wires before they choke, but it has significantly reduced the sympathetic snare buzz from outside sources.

User Info Menu

Good call, BTD. Sympathetic buzz is and always will be a problem. Another area to look at is the snare itself. Cheap snare wires tend to have a bit more solder which raises the snare wires off the head or, in some cases, the snare wires are installed upside down thereby lifting the snares ever so slightly off the head. However, it seems that Livewire has come across a very common way to reduce and/or eliminate sympathetic buzz and that is to retune the bass drum. Many, many times, it is the bass drum heads (either the reso and/or the batter) that provide the harmonics that cause sympathetic buzz. For some reason, the bass drum does not even have to be struck to cause this - other frequencies within the room make the bass drum head vibrate thereby causing the buzz of the snare. After checking the snare bed (as you suggest), the snare wires and their relationship to the head and slight retuning of the reso head on the snare, the next place I look is the bass drum heads and slightly change the tension on them.

Stix
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

I recently fixed my buzz too, it feels great.
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

i find that adjusting the tension of my snareing beads helped a lot. but i didnt know about the bass thing. thats kinda cool
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound