Thread: Brushes

User Info Menu

Default Brushes

So one of the bands I play in asked me to get some brushes to use for a "stripped down" segment of songs in the middle of a live show. All of the electric guitars and bass will be put up for acoustic guitars and bass for these three or four songs.

I have NEVER used brushes before, but I'm looking at this as a way to improve my styling and my resume.

With that being said, what are some good teaching tools to help a novice brush user like me as I prepare for this?
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Brushes

Can't play them like sticks (because they aren't sticks)

Create rhythms by "swishing" them across the heads

sweeping in circular motions works and accenting with one or both hands. I call this "stirring the soup"

Watch jazz drummers

Experiment

Love Brushes

all the best...

User Info Menu

Go to u-tube and put in Joe Morello using brushes. Lot of info right there.

User Info Menu

I use brushes on a couple songs, but they're mostly a train beat rhythm...country/rockabilly stuff. I just play on the snare like normal sticks. Sometimes during the 3rd break, our guitar player does some solo acoustic rock stuff. Occasionally I turn the snares off and back him up just play with my bare hands like bongos.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Maybe you want to try the rod sticks.
    A bit more oomph than brushes.
    I rarely use brushes for anything but jazz stuff as they work well on a swing shuffle ballads.
    Rock stuff ,not so much.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

Funny you made this thread I just started delving into brushes myself just to learn something new. I watched a few video's on beginner brushes and Wow there is a lot too it. Of course you could play them like sticks but that's not their intent and like PGM said rod sticks would be much better for that application. I am trying to learn to play note length's which as a drummer only I have never really had to play. I am working on this video now but looking for something a little more.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I guess it really depends on the song and style they want you to do. Jazz stuff, then yes, brushes would be great. If it's all acoustic Blues/Folk/Rock, I'd probably just keep a small Cajon, bongos or Djembe sitting back by your throne. Even something as simple as a shaker (I use a whiskey bottle filled with seed corn) or playing regular sticks on the snare rim can be all it takes...and can even sound better, depending on the application and song.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Wow. That's an awesome video. Cool stuff when done properly! I need work on developing my brushes!
    -Brian

User Info Menu