Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you could only have one brand of drums and one brand of cymbals the rest of your l

User Info Menu

Default Re: If you could only have one brand of drums and one brand of cymbals the rest of yo

My question is this.....If you are an experienced/accomplished/established (more than a beginner) drummer then why are you not playing your final or dream set what ever you want to call it?

all the best...

User Info Menu

Default Re: If you could only have one brand of drums and one brand of cymbals the rest of yo

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    My question is this.....If you are an experienced/accomplished/established (more than a beginner) drummer then why are you not playing your final or dream set what ever you want to call it?

all the best...
    In my case I am a year and 4 months in, so still a beginner. I can't justify laying out the money for a high end kit. Even if I were a gigging drummer, I would probably "settle" for a kit below my dream set (including cymbals) due to cost. PHX and K's don't grow on trees (well technically the PHX does lol).
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    In my case I am a year and 4 months in, so still a beginner. I can't justify laying out the money for a high end kit. Even if I were a gigging drummer, I would probably "settle" for a kit below my dream set (including cymbals) due to cost. PHX and K's don't grow on trees (well technically the PHX does lol).
    your response is reasonable and I agree. 16 months isn't a long time in the journey of playing a musical instrument. My question is aimed more towards 20+ year drummers and pros and regularly gigging drummers.

I can't understand a drummer already committed to the craft would sit down to an instrument that is less than what he would really like to be playing.

Drums are not like Stradivarious violins, costing unreal amounts of money. A top shelf drum set fully outfitted with all the most desirable bells and whistles is still a fraction of the price of a new low end car. I'm sure most on the forum own a car. All a car does is get you from here to there and wears out and gets scrapped. An instrument is how one expresses their inner most feelings and can easily last an entire lifetime.

Just saying

all the best...

User Info Menu

Cymbals - probably Sabian, but I can't honestly say I believe they are BETTER than Zildjian, I just own several Sabians and feel no need to replace or 'upgrade' them.

Drums - I don't care. I can honestly say that I would have no problem owning a flagship model from any drum manufacturer. I don't feel particularly drawn to the current Ddrum
    range at present but who knows what direction they will go in the future. I'm leaving my options open.

User Info Menu

Sonor and Meinl

all the best...
    In my case, I'm only 23 and have been playing for ~15 years, but having done national tours and opening for international acts, my best years of drumming are likely already behind me. I don't have my dream kit because I barely make enough to live, let alone dropping $1,000's on musical instruments.
    Last edited by xweasel; 01-16-2018 at 08:09 AM.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Mine would be Pearl Zildjian Remo Promark and Roland e kits and sample pads.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

The SQ1 I got to play on last night reaffirmed my answer about Sonor.. WOW what great sounding kit. Big difference between the SQ1 and the New Yamaha RC that was next to it.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

An instrument is how one expresses their inner most feelings and can easily last an entire lifetime.

I agree! The "core" of my Ludwig kit is 46 years old, and my oldest Zildjian is 50 years old. I guess I am playing my dream; all I ever wanted was Ludwig and Zildjians.
    JOE

Seven piece vintage Ludwig kit (1971), Sky Blue Pearl, 12, 13, 14, 16, 20, 22
    Snare drums (all Ludwig): 1971 Supraphonic, 1969 SBP Classic, 1990s Blackrolite, 2012 6.5x 14 Black Magic
    Zildjian Cymbals - 21 ping, 20, 20, 19, 18, 17, 16, 15, 14 HH, 10, 18 China, Wuhan 18 China
    Five piece Sonor All Maple 3005s: 12, 13, 16, 22, 5x 14 snare
    Roland TD4SX
    SPL Birch Bop Kit: 13, 8, 13, 18

User Info Menu

Yamaha Recording Custom's (Already have)
    Zildjian K's (Have 3 & plan on the rest )
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

After owning my DW's for over five years now, I can say DW for drums and Sabian for cymbals. I have been pounding my XS20's for over seven years and they are holding up great.
    1976 Tama Imperialstar Saturn 12+1 Platina6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 concert toms, 16, 18 floor toms, 2-22x18 Bass drums.
    1971 5x14 Ludwig acrolite snare
    Tama metalworks snare 13x6
    DW collectors Maple Blue Glass7x8, 8x10, 9x12 rack toms, 11x14, 13x16 hanging toms, 18x23 bass, 8 and 12 timbale toms, 5.5x10 Ten and Six All Maple snare, 5.5x14 Supersolid snare, DW 9000 rack system, DW 5002 Double bass pedal, DW 5000 Hi-Hat stand, DW 9000 Snare stand.
    Sabian Xs20 cymbals: 16 & 18 crash, 20 ride, 14 hats, 8 splash, 18 china.
    Zildjian cymbals: 21 ride, 15 hats. All '70's era.