Thread: Bass drum slide doubles lesson

scottyp is offline Senior Member (Respected Chatter)

User Info Menu

Default Bass drum slide doubles lesson

Here is a new video I just made on the bass drum slide double stroke I use. It is great for punk music, but also works in any other genera. I use it all the time. I put in a few exercises that I do over and over to build up the ankle strength. I used a 30+ year old pedal with no adjustments on a dead Roland pad, so it wasn't as clean as my brand new Axis pedals lol

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bass drum slide doubles lesson

Good Video bud, do you always play that slide technique in socks? I play strictly heel toe and heel down but need to start playing around with slide. Thanks for sharing
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Good stuff. Thanks for posting. Reminded me that doing those types of exercises is important.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Good Video bud, do you always play that slide technique in socks? I play strictly heel toe and heel down but need to start playing around with slide. Thanks for sharing
    This one I can do in shoes.. Heel toe I need to wear socks for some reason to feel the pedal.. I actually play gigs with my punk band in shoes. I don't wear shoes in my house so I have just gotten used to this.

I find with shoes I can hit the kick drum WAY harder, and it might even be easier to do the slide double. Just work on the exercises I show over and over and over... Once you get it nice and fast the slide will develop it's self. If you get stuck you can assist it a bit by pushing forward with your foot. It takes a really long time and many hours to get it very fast and consistent (like anything)

User Info Menu

Cool video. I now know I'm on the right track as far as my practice regiment goes for doubles on the pedal.

User Info Menu

that beard game is strong!

Great video.

I myself cannot play in socks or barefoot... I do however buy specific shoes for my drumming.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    that beard game is strong!

Great video.

I myself cannot play in socks or barefoot... I do however buy specific shoes for my drumming.

It's cold here in Canada :P. Today with the "windchill" it was -37C or about -34 F outside. I was happy my vehicle started lol. Gives me an excuse to try and grow a beard every winter. The wife didn't get too upset this time so I'll let it ride until spring at least.

I think I might buy some indoor drumming shoes soon. If I can learn the heel toe on them I'll be able to hit the bass drum much harder

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scottyp View Post
    It's cold here in Canada :P. Today with the "windchill" it was -37C or about -34 F outside. I was happy my vehicle started lol. Gives me an excuse to try and grow a beard every winter. The wife didn't get too upset this time so I'll let it ride until spring at least.

I think I might buy some indoor drumming shoes soon. If I can learn the heel toe on them I'll be able to hit the bass drum much harder
    Crazy. It was -39C here this morning. Nice video btw. I’ve been using heel toe but stopped recently
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike