Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how much would you....

User Info Menu

Default Re: how much would you....

So, there are members on here that would gladly shell out $1000 to see Rush. $1000 can still buy a pretty decent set of drums, a really decent guitar. It's more than a lot of people pay for a months rent. Help me here. What is it about Rush that I'm just not getting?!

I could probably squeak out $100 bucks for a nights entertainment but it would have to be something really world class like the Chicago Philharmonic or something like that.

all the best...
    Last edited by kay-gee; 03-28-2018 at 08:51 AM.

User Info Menu

I don't know about paying a lot to see RUSH... I really doubt I'll ever pay a lot to see any band now. Not that I don't like them anymore but all of the band's I grew up listening to are not even the same band's anymore.

Maybe 2 original guys in them. I miss the late 70's all the 80's and a little bit of the 90's.

Guess I'm old... oh well
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I never thought I would have a limit, but, on Rush's last tour, I had to miss it. It would have cost me north of $700 to go see them. I couldn't justify that in any way. And besides Rush, there is NO other band I will pay north of $60 to see now. Like Wired said, spend your money on local bands.
    1976 Tama Imperialstar Saturn 12+1 Platina6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 concert toms, 16, 18 floor toms, 2-22x18 Bass drums.
    1971 5x14 Ludwig acrolite snare
    Tama metalworks snare 13x6
    DW collectors Maple Blue Glass7x8, 8x10, 9x12 rack toms, 11x14, 13x16 hanging toms, 18x23 bass, 8 and 12 timbale toms, 5.5x10 Ten and Six All Maple snare, 5.5x14 Supersolid snare, DW 9000 rack system, DW 5002 Double bass pedal, DW 5000 Hi-Hat stand, DW 9000 Snare stand.
    Sabian Xs20 cymbals: 16 & 18 crash, 20 ride, 14 hats, 8 splash, 18 china.
    Zildjian cymbals: 21 ride, 15 hats. All '70's era.

User Info Menu

Back in like 88 or 89 there use to be this local band playing that was actually pretty good but i would never give them a chance because I couldn't stand poser glam metal bands who wore the spandex and the eyeliner.. I was into heavy bands like Metal Church,Metalica,Priest ect... Well I got married in 89 and got out of the music scene altogether. Wife was just too jealous but that band I wouldn't go see.. was Pantera..And they got Phll as their singer and they got heavy! But my point is that pretty much every band like Rush,Priest,Iron Maiden at one time in their life was playing down at the local pub.. Can you imagineif you were to pay a 1000 dollars and get backstages passes to Rush and Neil Peart is like "I can't pretend this goofball is a long awaited friend" Security!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wired View Post
    Back in like 88 or 89 there use to be this local band playing that was actually pretty good but i would never give them a chance because I couldn't stand poser glam metal bands who wore the spandex and the eyeliner.. I was into heavy bands like Metal Church,Metalica,Priest ect... Well I got married in 89 and got out of the music scene altogether. Wife was just too jealous but that band I wouldn't go see.. was Pantera..And they got Phll as their singer and they got heavy! But my point is that pretty much every band like Rush,Priest,Iron Maiden at one time in their life was playing down at the local pub.. Can you imagineif you were to pay a 1000 dollars and get backstages passes to Rush and Neil Peart is like "I can't pretend this goofball is a long awaited friend" Security!
    ha ha... I saw Rush twice at our hometown hockey rink. I believe it was about the time of Caress of Steel album. They sounded terrible!! I remember leaving, wishing I could get my ten bucks back or whatever it was.

Having said that though, it wasn't all their fault. The building was notorious for it's horrible acoustics. But isn't that what sound people are for? Most rock acts didn't sound too good in there. Rush sounded like a gigantic muddy rumble with Geddy's seagull like barking soaring somewhere just above it all.
    Acts like Gordon Lightfoot (even Johnny Cash once) would play there there and sound pretty decent. Go figure!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    be willing to shell out to see your favorite band or artist?

I really want to go to one of Judas Priest's shows in support of their new release Firepower.

Only thing is i want to be in front or within the first 5 rows but then you're talking about $500 to $1000! a ticket!. If i can get 2 seats for $500 within the first 5 then I'd get em.

I know.... let the flaming begin
    The new Priest album is fantastic!
    I paid $325.00 each for two front row tickets to Rush in Boston for the R30 tour. We were right in front of Alex. He handed my wife a pick during the Encore, I could see everything Neil was doing also. Well worth the money. I was wearing an old caress of steel t shirt and at one point Geddy came over in front of me and acknowledged the shirt and jammed out 2 feet away from me for a few minutes. It was awesome.

We were also in the front row for Judas Priest at Mohegan Sun in CT. We got those tickets at face value , can't remember the price but it wasn't a lot.
    Angel of Retribution tour. Front row is great for interaction with the band and you get to see everything up so close, but I actually prefer being further back because it sounds better.

User Info Menu

Being a guy that was around during the hey-day of R&R in Dallas, we saw all the great shows.
    The one regret I have is I never went to see Pink Floyd................I had opportunities, just never did it.
    So, a few years ago I went to see Roger Waters in Tulsa -- he was touring his THE WALL extravaganza.

I paid around $400 for two seats on row 11...............glad I did it.................an amazing multimedia experience.

Other than that, I would not shell out a lot of money to see anything out there these days.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Wow. That is very expensive. Then again, it is once in a lifetime if it is a band you really love!

User Info Menu

I like live music but I hate crowds. So I generally don't go to see live music other than smaller local bands who don't generate crowds.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Concert prices have been out of control for quite some time now. It's even more insulting when these bands come out using a very recognizable name, yet only 1 maybe 2 or even in some cases none of the original members are still in the band. I haven't been to a show in a very long time for these reasons.

This is kinda of where I am, too. I've seen the acts when they were original. Plus, the cost of tickets anymore is unacceptable.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

There was a bar called the Tomorrow Club in Youngstown Ohio back in the 70's where you could literally sit next to the stage and take it all in for all the big names.

https://www.setlist.fm/venue/tomorro...-43d75bf3.html

Now those were the days.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I saw them a couple of times years ago. Front row seats were about $75.

They are all good looking ladies, but Ms Hoffs......WOW. They all had very short skirts on and I remember saying to my GF that if those skirts were a 1/2" shorter, the whole mystery that is woman, is history.

They put on a fun show, and they were pretty good musicians. What they did lack in technical skill, they more than made up for in showmanship.
    So if she'd bent over to reclaim a pick you could have seen all the way to Christmas, and halfway to New Years?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trommel View Post
    So if she'd bent over to reclaim a pick you could have seen all the way to Christmas, and halfway to New Years?
    Only if she dropped the pick behind her and had to turn around.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Susanna Hoffs -- 2017

maxresdefault[1].jpg
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Hard to believe she is 59. You can't stay hot forever.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

O.K. Gonna eat some crow here. I broke down and paid $80 to go see Foo Fighters, here, last week. We were on the floor. I got to tell ya'll, it was worth it. Foo Fighters are probably one of the hardest working bands in the business right now. 3 solid hours of music. Great sound and light show. If you like rock, do yourself a favor, go see this tour. I was not a huge fan of theirs, but, I am a bigger fan now. Like I said, it's worth it.
    1976 Tama Imperialstar Saturn 12+1 Platina6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 concert toms, 16, 18 floor toms, 2-22x18 Bass drums.
    1971 5x14 Ludwig acrolite snare
    Tama metalworks snare 13x6
    DW collectors Maple Blue Glass7x8, 8x10, 9x12 rack toms, 11x14, 13x16 hanging toms, 18x23 bass, 8 and 12 timbale toms, 5.5x10 Ten and Six All Maple snare, 5.5x14 Supersolid snare, DW 9000 rack system, DW 5002 Double bass pedal, DW 5000 Hi-Hat stand, DW 9000 Snare stand.
    Sabian Xs20 cymbals: 16 & 18 crash, 20 ride, 14 hats, 8 splash, 18 china.
    Zildjian cymbals: 21 ride, 15 hats. All '70's era.

User Info Menu

Well... I broke down and got 2 Priest tickets. The show is in September. I didn't even know they were coming here. I had looked and their schedule didn't include Atlanta.

My girlfriend was looking at concerts and told me while we were driving... I had to pull over and see what she was saying. Sure enough in Sept Judas Priest with Deep Purple.

I wanted to be close to the stage but instead got 2 aisle seats by the sound board. It should be a good show. Scott Travis is fantastic... with that said i do prefer Holland era Priest... he just seemed to groove more.... but that's ok. This will be my 3rd Priest show. Too bad only a fraction of the original guys will be there.

Excited about DP too. Never seen them before... complete with Ian Gillan, Ian Paice, Roger Glover, Airey, and Morse.

Looking forward to it.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Well... I broke down and got 2 Priest tickets. The show is in September. I didn't even know they were coming here. I had looked and their schedule didn't include Atlanta.

My girlfriend was looking at concerts and told me while we were driving... I had to pull over and see what she was saying. Sure enough in Sept Judas Priest with Deep Purple.

I wanted to be close to the stage but instead got 2 aisle seats by the sound board. It should be a good show. Scott Travis is fantastic... with that said i do prefer Holland era Priest... he just seemed to groove more.... but that's ok. This will be my 3rd Priest show. Too bad only a fraction of the original guys will be there.

Excited about DP too. Never seen them before... complete with Ian Gillan, Ian Paice, Roger Glover, Airey, and Morse.

Looking forward to it.
    That's awesome! Saw Priest years ago and also Halford when he opened for Maiden about a decade or so back. Great shows both times.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Talking about concerts Ozzie Osborne and Black Sabbath on their farewell tour. Ticket 68.00 up to 2,200. I would never pay that ridiculous amount of money for any concert. Happy retirement Ozzy.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 05-12-2018 at 09:58 AM.

User Info Menu

These came out to about $110 appice. The whole front pit areas are already sold out.

Would like to get a Firepower shirt but what would that be $50? We'll see....

Will review the concert afterwards here.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

You guys would laugh if you found out how much I spent for Metallica. Each ticket came with a CD though if that makes it any better...
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike