Thread: Swapped to Die Cast hoops

User Info Menu

Default Swapped to Die Cast hoops

So I honestly wasn't 100% happy with my snare on my Pork Pie kit. I kept trying to make it a bit snappier and was having troubles... But this weekend I made magic happen! I bought some die cast hoops and I seriously cannot believe the difference they made!! With them I was able to get a tighter tone and remove some over tone ringing. I'm extremely please with the decision and I'm thinking about taking them off just to make a comparison sound video.

As always I still have no way of uploading photos.. time to get a flikr account or something

Last edited by SpazApproved; 01-15-2018 at 07:16 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Swapped to Die Cast hoops

A video would be awesome. I've been contemplating adding cast hoops to my Supralite.

Have you tried using your phone to post pics? It's super easy and instantaneous....posts from your phone directly to the site.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Video has been added.
    I should have edited and put the two sound clips side by side... but if you watch it and then go back and listen to the two clips side by side you can hear the difference for sure.

User Info Menu

When I purchased my MCX in 2005 they all came with Die Cast Hoops. I love them as they keep the tune forever. I read a lot bias over the Die Cast here on DC for years for being heavy etc etc. Some members trying them out and are amazed with them shows they are great hoops.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 01-15-2018 at 07:25 AM.

User Info Menu

Gretsch has been putting die cast hoops on their drums since the beginning of forever.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Awesome. Definitely makes a difference. Really depends on the sound you're after, but I personally like it. My ONLY complaint of die cast hoops is the cost. Since my snares (13x7 Pie and 14x8 Supra) are COS, I really want brass plated cast hoops. Cha-ching $$$$$$.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I agree 100%
    Cost is high for die cast hoops and understandable since the process is much more involved.
    I got these at what I felt was a great deal.
    I've seen one hoop go for what I paid for the two

User Info Menu

One thing I gotta say about die cast. Don't drop them. Once they're out of round....game over

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Gretsch has been putting die cast hoops on their drums since the beginning of forever.

all the best...
    One of the many things about Gretsch I love. Both Renown and USA's came with die-cast on top and bottom!

User Info Menu

My Pearl MCX kit also came with Die Cast on top and bottom including my MCX snare.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 01-16-2018 at 11:55 AM.

User Info Menu

One of the things I love about my Tama Superstar kit. I got it brand new in 2010 when they were discontinued, and what I paid for it, with 100% birch shells and all die cast hoops, it was a genuine steal!

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

scottyp is offline Senior Member (Respected Chatter)

User Info Menu

That snare sounded great in that video! great tuning.

User Info Menu

Nice playing man, drums sound great too.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Thank you guys for the compliments.

I'll see if I can get a drumming video together soon

User Info Menu

I wonder why snare drums always sound like...................well....................... .....snare drums. Amazing how they do that.

User Info Menu

Every drum I've played that I loved had die cast hoops. I think they add so much focus and give you a solid tone. My DW brass currently has triple flanged hoops and I plan to switch over to die cast. The drum sounds amazing, but since it's brass I know the die cast will take away some of the overtones inherit with metal shells and make it sound even more amazing.