Thread: Just joined a 2nd band

User Info Menu

Default Just joined a 2nd band

I have never really been in 2 bands at the same time before but decided the one I was in was not consistent in rehearsals or played out enough so auditioned for a 3 piece band (may become a 4-piece soon). So far I am loving it. I have had to learn a lot of new songs in 2 weeks and will be playing with them for the 1st time in back to back shows this fri. and sat. night. I have no intentions of leaving the 1st band, they are good friends but just not dedicated enough. This 2nd band would rather I use an E-kit nd they have a $9k Roland TD-50kv for me to use but are ok with me using my acoustic kit with triggers till I feel comfortable with the e-kit.

Anyone ever been in 2 bands at same time? what was your experience good or bad? Any scheduling conflicts?

Here is the set list for this fri. and sat. night, Ones in red are new ones to me and the ones in Blue are songs I gave them and they learned for me. Going to be an interesting gig, I can play them all but some are really not even familiar to me so I need to have some notes next to the song list on the floor for reminders.

1) American Girl
    2) Melt with you
    3) The One I love
    4) I love a rainy night
    5) Cant get enough
    6) Break up Song
    7) Jenny Jenny
    8) I will follow
    9) Running down a dream
    10) Little miss cant be wrong
    11) The Middle
    12) Cumbersome
    13) jail Break (thin Lizzy)
    14) Living after midnight
    15) Taking Care of Bizness

set 2
    1) American Band
    2) Riding the storm out
    3) White Wedding
    4) Lonely Boy
    5) Roadhouse Blues
    6) Folsum Prison
    7) Hurt So Good
    8) What I like/Rockin USA
    9) All Summer Long
    10) Save A Horse
    11) Keep your Hands to urself
    12) Some kind wonderful
    13) Walking on Sunshine
    14) Hey Jealousy
    15) Everybody wants you

set 3
    1) Hard To Handle
    2) Break Down
    3) All day and all night
    4) Good (better then ezra)
    5) All right now
    6) Gimme 3 steps
    7) Kryptonite
    8) Bang a gong
    9) you wreck me
    10) It don't come easy (I sing)
    11) Tush
    12) Funky Music
    13) Sweet Home Alabama
    14) Rebel Yell
    15) Move it on over
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Just joined a 2nd band

Yeah, I've done it. Actually I've been in 3 bands at one time. It's very hectic. Also, when it starts to create gig scheduling conflicts it can get a bit dicey. It's fun though if you have the time. Another interesting thing is when you're doing same song in multiple bands but different versions or arrangements. Have fun with it. Nice set list. Nothing on there that is difficult to play so you should be ok.

User Info Menu

wow they have their own electronic kit for you to use?! That's a new one to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Yeah, I've done it. Actually I've been in 3 bands at one time. It's very hectic. Also, when it starts to create gig scheduling conflicts it can get a bit dicey. It's fun though if you have the time. Another interesting thing is when you're doing same song in multiple bands but different versions or arrangements. Have fun with it. Nice set list. Nothing on there that is difficult to play so you should be ok.
    Thanks, Yeah I have already noticed a few differences on arrangements and endings, pretty cool. Most of the drumming is not too difficult for me but it is remembering the stops and starts on a few that are totally new too me. I am not a country fan at all although I must admit Save a horse is a fun song to play.

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    wow they have their own electronic kit for you to use?! That's a new one to me.
    Yeah they would even bring a monitor and a microphone and stand if I wanted them too : ). I played that e-kit last week and felt totally out of sync but got through it. Played it again last night at rehearsal and it was like day and night, felt much more comfortable and fluid. I know it is a TD-50 brain but the drums themselves are actually wood acoustic drums that can be played with acoustic heads if you swapped em out. sizes are 20 x16bd, 10 x7, and 12 x 8 rack, and a 14 x 13 floor tom. They feel they can control the volume much better with that e-kit plus they would still want me t use my own cymbals with it. I may try to gig with it after this weekend.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I've never played in 2 bands at the same time, but know people that have.

I don't like the idea because it can mean that any player in either band can do the same thing. About 2 years ago, (I'm pretty sure it was on this forum) a guitar player in 2 bands, 1 with 1 of DC's drummers, had both bands booked for the same night. When he decided which band he was going with, it left the other guys screwed.

I never have played in 2 bands and never would have no matter what was offered to me. It is almost inevitable that there will be a conflict coming down the road at some point.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I've never played in 2 bands at the same time, but know people that have.

I don't like the idea because it can mean that any player in either band can do the same thing. About 2 years ago, (I'm pretty sure it was on this forum) a guitar player in 2 bands, 1 with 1 of DC's drummers, had both bands booked for the same night. When he decided which band he was going with, it left the other guys screwed.

I never have played in 2 bands and never would have no matter what was offered to me. It is almost inevitable that there will be a conflict coming down the road at some point.
    Yeah I can see that being a possibility but in my case one band really has commitment issues and if I were not the one getting all the gigs we would have only had 1 gig in the last 8 months instead of 13. And most of the time the Lead complains about having to play a friday night because he works sat. Plus I have already told the new band the dates I have blacked out which only goes to mid march as of today. I personally will rotate any gigs I get between the 2 bands. BTW the old band just cancelled rehearsal tonight, again.. If both bands were as committed as the new one seems to be I would probably not do it but I think the workload should be fine for me as of now unless life throws one of them famous split fingered fastballs at me.
    Last edited by MDK; 01-16-2018 at 02:21 PM.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

MDK, I have been around long enough to know that life has a fastball just waiting for the right time to use it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Yeah I can see that being a possibility but in my case one band really has commitment issues and if I were not the one getting all the gigs we would have only had 1 gig in the last 8 months instead of 13. And most of the time the Lead complains about having to play a friday night because he works sat. Plus I have already told the new band the dates I have blacked out which only goes to mid march as of today. I personally will rotate any gigs I get between the 2 bands. BTW the old band just cancelled rehearsal tonight, again.. If both bands were as committed as the new one seems to be I would probably not do it but I think the workload should be fine for me as of now unless life throws one of them famous split fingered fastballs at me.
    I've done the 2 band thing before. I found that [for me at least] the only fair way to do it was to make one primary and the other secondary. I was committed to playing all gigs booked for the primary band and the secondary band knew it so they would book around the first band. The second band would resolve any conflicts by them lining up a sub for me.

In the above scenario, the primary band didn't book too often so it freed up time for me to play with the second band. If the primary band would have been busier playing 6-8 gigs a month, I wouldn't have joined the second band at all.

I can be done but it can be tricky ...

User Info Menu

Being in two bands doesn't seem to bad. First band seems a little lazy not saying they are not good musicians, and I would want to play out more practice more and the second band seems better. Kind of like a full time job and a part time job. Your first band seems now like the part time job and the second band is like the full time job. Good luck with both bands and have fun. Just my 2 cents.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

I agree w/Dangermoney. One band must take priority to make it fair. The lead guitar player in my band is a good friend, but he operates his own band as well. It's understood that if his own band is booked on the same night, he plays with his own band. If I book a gig, I give him the date. He won't actively try to book his own band on the same night...BUT...if one of the other guys in his band books a gig on the same night as my band, he is expected to play with his own band. He owes his loyalty to the guys in his own band, and I support that 100%.
    As a side perk, if my band or his band has to cancel a gig, we always call each other's band to fill in as a first resort. In addition, if my band plays a new venue, he usually attempts to book his own band there as well. If his own band plays a new venue, he always recommends my band to them. It actually works out as a mutual benefit to both bands.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I am currently in 2 bands. One is the band I was in during college, reunited after many years apart. The other is a band I've been in for the last 6 years, with 2 different names and slightly different line ups. The first band has not gigged yet, and I'm not sure when it will be ready to play out. The second band plays out occasionally, but we're trying to get more gigs. So at the moment, there are no conflicts with gigs, but when it does arise I will go with the band that booked the date first and tell the other band to either get a sub or not take the gig.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

I play in 4 bands........... Now, this can be tricky...
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

I don't think "tricky" really is the right word.

User Info Menu

Played 1st gig with the new band last night and had a blast. Much more enjoyable playing with people who listen to everyone else in the band and not just their own instrument and enjoy playing if you know what I mean. 1st 2 sets were pretty flawless but had a 2 small hiccups in the 3rd set but nothing too bad. Coincidentally my hiccups came after the 2nd break when I was informed that the guy sitting over there in the corner was the previous drummer...LOL

We have another gig tonight at the same place so did not even have to break down.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

1st 2 gigs (back to back) went great. I have not had that much fun playing a gig in a long long time if ever. Some guy came up to us after our 1st break and said he liked what he heard and wanted to hire us for a private 4th of july party. As we were looking at our schedule he said could you guys do Wagon wheel? None of us had ever played it but we said we would give it a try. We got p and played it pretty well for not practicing it and we got the gig.

I was thinking to myself afterwards that my other band would have never tried to play something we have not practiced.

This leads me to another question how much talking about one band do you do with the other band? I am not talking about putting them down but I mean how much do you mention the good things that happened at a gig with the other band?
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy