Thread: Top ten rudiments

scottyp is offline Senior Member (Respected Chatter)

User Info Menu

Default Top ten rudiments

Here are the top ten rudiments I use in my day to day playing.

You can change the accents, subdivisions, add flams, etc, and these could keep a person busy for years and years without working on the other 30.

I'm not saying don't learn the others, but for new students I teach these first and it changes their playing a ton.

Do you guys play any other rudiments in your day to day playing I have missed?

I usually hit the pad from 30-45 minuets a day before any drumset happens.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Top ten rudiments

I started playing in 1974 and I have never practiced rudiments ever. I just can't bring myself to do it. I get so bored my head hurts. I've been that way with every type of structured practice routine, I sit down and stick to it for about ten minutes then I'm just off playing whatever I feel like. That has always worked for me. Looking back though I wish i was wired that way so I could sit down and practice like that , I'd probably be a much better drummer. After 40+ years though it's not gong to happen. lol
    Last edited by NPYYZ; 01-17-2018 at 07:38 AM.

User Info Menu

Same here was never into rudiments. I just walked up to my first drum kit and started to bang on it and have for over 40 years.

User Info Menu

The length of my attention span on practicing rudiments is about 30 minutes tops. Now if I had stuck to that discipline 39 years ago when I took my first lesson, I'd be a much better drummer today but what I lack in technical skills, I make up for by being a good listener, keeping in the pocket and providing a solid foundation for others to build upon.

User Info Menu

Cool video I would have to agree with everyone I am horrible when it come to rudiments practicing. I just play along with songs on Youtube. Thanks for sharing the video.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

What I try to do in terms of rudimental chop practice is work out of a groove of 4/4 16th note parididdle patterns and then vary the next measure with differing chop rudiments like six stroke roll variations,diddly diddles,reverse parididdles and other other 16th note stickings.

IE
    >One measure 16th note paradiddles,
    One measure regular 6 stroke rolls,
    One measure inverted six stroke rolls,
    One measure diddly diddles,
    One measure tied 5 stroke rolls,
    One measure inverted 16th note paradiddles.
    One measure 32nd note double stroke roll,etc..

For variation,I substitute single 32nd notes for the double stroke rolls.

My take on Alan Dawson's Rudimental Ritual.
    Last edited by pgm554; 01-18-2018 at 11:52 PM.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

Beam me up Scotty.

scottyp is offline Senior Member (Respected Chatter)

User Info Menu

It's not too late guys haha ..... To be honest I didn't either.. I have been a fast death metal drummer for years and got by with really fast singles.. But I could never do a really really good solo.. or have the "chops" i see other drummers have... I started with just a few, and in the last 2 years my playing has increased 100x. even 10 minutes a day as a warm up... it sucks for the first bit I agree.. but when you start increasing the BPM's and it starts feeling natural it motivates me to do it more....

I practice watching TV as it gets boring, but it's about the muscle memory repeating it over and over and over. I never understood why i needed paradiddles,, I figured you just played them repetitively around the kit. To each their own though, I know plenty of amazing drummers that can't read music or play rudiments. For me personally I struggle with creativity, so these help me from playing the same thing over and over. Plus my left hand actually listens to me sometimes now. haha

Seriously though. try 10 minutes a day, for two months... just pick one rudiment and go for it haha.. I'd suggest doubles or paradiddles.

User Info Menu

I really like the paradiddle-diddle for the kit. When you move around to the different drums and surfaces, it sounds pretty cool.
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!