Thread: Conga, etc going out of style?

User Info Menu

Default Conga, etc going out of style?

Are the congas and latin percussion instruments going out of style? There is not much here on this site, and nuthin going on around either. I think this genre is fizzling out? Any thoughts?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Conga, etc going out of style?

In my opinion, it was never big here in Canada or the us. Now if you go to Cuba, thatís a different story. Thatís all they played on the beaches when I was there. I had a drum teacher a long time ago for drum set, but all he taught me was Latin percussion. At first I was thinking wth is this. But as time went on. It really helped the way I felt the beat, and it influenced some of my playing style. He was my best drum teacher, and I had about 6. He would play along to me with his claves or the tambora and everything else he had. He taught me the cascara, clave, cha cha, mambo, samba, and tons of other ones. I love it. Itís a very layed back style of music. I get a good vibe from it. Hard to explain.

Iíd love to mount some timbales on my drums like portnoy, but the price is crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Default Re: Conga, etc going out of style?

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    In my opinion, it was never big here in Canada or the us. Now if you go to Cuba, thatís a different story. Thatís all they played on the beaches when I was there. I had a drum teacher a long time ago for drum set, but all he taught me was Latin percussion. At first I was thinking wth is this. But as time went on. It really helped the way I felt the beat, and it influenced some of my playing style. He was my best drum teacher, and I had about 6. He would play along to me with his claves or the tambora and everything else he had. He taught me the cascara, clave, cha cha, mambo, samba, and tons of other ones. I love it. Itís a very layed back style of music. I get a good vibe from it. Hard to explain.

Iíd love to mount some timbales on my drums like portnoy, but the price is crazy.
    I,m tell'in ya,man you've experienced some great background percussion knowlege. . . .I envy you.