Thread: Conga, etc going out of style?

User Info Menu

Default Conga, etc going out of style?

Are the congas and latin percussion instruments going out of style? There is not much here on this site, and nuthin going on around either. I think this genre is fizzling out? Any thoughts?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Conga, etc going out of style?

In my opinion, it was never big here in Canada or the us. Now if you go to Cuba, that’s a different story. That’s all they played on the beaches when I was there. I had a drum teacher a long time ago for drum set, but all he taught me was Latin percussion. At first I was thinking wth is this. But as time went on. It really helped the way I felt the beat, and it influenced some of my playing style. He was my best drum teacher, and I had about 6. He would play along to me with his claves or the tambora and everything else he had. He taught me the cascara, clave, cha cha, mambo, samba, and tons of other ones. I love it. It’s a very layed back style of music. I get a good vibe from it. Hard to explain.

I’d love to mount some timbales on my drums like portnoy, but the price is crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    In my opinion, it was never big here in Canada or the us. Now if you go to Cuba, that’s a different story. That’s all they played on the beaches when I was there. I had a drum teacher a long time ago for drum set, but all he taught me was Latin percussion. At first I was thinking wth is this. But as time went on. It really helped the way I felt the beat, and it influenced some of my playing style. He was my best drum teacher, and I had about 6. He would play along to me with his claves or the tambora and everything else he had. He taught me the cascara, clave, cha cha, mambo, samba, and tons of other ones. I love it. It’s a very layed back style of music. I get a good vibe from it. Hard to explain.

I’d love to mount some timbales on my drums like portnoy, but the price is crazy.
    I,m tell'in ya,man you've experienced some great background percussion knowlege. . . .I envy you.

User Info Menu

Not going out of style at all. Just North America is not as influenced by the type music that uses a lot of percussion. A lot of people do not realize that there are millions and millions of more Spanish speaking people than English . I had much rather have a number 1 song in Latin America than the United States. People who are super stars in Latin America and not even heard of in the United States are making more money. I never realized the extent of this until I married. My wife is Ecuadorian and I have travelled there, and also performed there. Latin America is definately happening. They have bands that do not even have a drummer, and you can't tell. The Salsa bands are killing it. We in North America just haven't been exposed to what is world wide actually. Go on your cable tv music channels and listen to the Latin and Caribbean channels. Percussion, conga, bongo, timbale, are prevalent on the majority of the recordings. We are just kind of out of the loop, that's all.
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red
    Stewart 1966 Black Diamond Pearl MIJ
    Vintage Paiste 2002
    Vintage Avedis Zildjian

User Info Menu

Well I have 3 sets of congas and want to learn. I know the basics, but need to just get out and learn and play and grow. It's a shame that I'm dressed up and no place to go. In rural South Carolina.