Thread: Some Heads Just Don't Fit

User Info Menu

Default Some Heads Just Don't Fit

I ordered new Aquarian Focus X coated batters for my three toms and got delivery yesterday...................they don't fit.
    I'm talking about fitting 1977 (SSB) Gretsch Jasper shells so, sometimes this is the case.
    This is the second set of Aquarians I have purchased that don't fit..............so I'm done.
    I find it sad too because I really like the Aquarian products.
    Three years ago I tried the SK bass batter and loved it...........I've used both the SK2 and the SK10...........both fit and I'll still use them.

Weird.............when I bought my first set of Aquarian batter heads for the toms they fit OK.
    About a year or so ago I bought all new heads (resos [classic clear] and batters [Super 2s]) and they were all tight.............I forced them on anyway.

It is time to replace the batters and since the new heads arrived yesterday, I got busy with the replacement.
    The worst fit is always on my 18" FT..............I took all the screws out and the hoop off.............the batter head still maintained the same tone..............you could play it.
    Now that is a tight fit..............I actually had to use a small hammer and a punch to (carefully) knock the head off.
    Nothing is damaged but I'll never force another fit like that.

The new batter was the same fit..................way too tight.
    With a tape measure I could clearly see that the Aquarian was 1/32 of an inch smaller that an 18" Remo Emp head I have.

So either I go back to the Remo (which always works) or start looking at Evans, which I have not used since 1986.
    I can continue to use the Aquarian products on my snares and basses...............but not the toms.
    I'm currently using 13, 15 and 18.............Advice is welcome.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Some Heads Just Don't Fit

Ah geez! Really? So bummed that you're having issues with these heads. The only thing I would suggest would be to look at the seam where the flesh hoop is spot welded. Sometimes a bit of slag from the welder can be left behind. The pic below shows a bit of the slag on the seam. Check the inside of the flesh hoop to see if the seam at the weld needs to be cleaned up.

weldandbearingedge1a_zpsfa05203a.jpg

User Info Menu

Disappointing to hear of Aquarians QC issues as I was thinking of trying them out for my next head change this fall. I would just stick to what works and go with Remo's. Maybe Ambassador X's?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Disappointing to hear of Aquarians QC issues as I was thinking of trying them out for my next head change this fall. I would just stick to what works and go with Remo's. Maybe Ambassador X's?
    I Agree. I use an ambassador x on my snare. Holds up well, and keeps the tone. I haven’t changed my head in over a year.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I don't perceive this as a QC issue for Aquarian. Jasper shells were said to be a tad larger in diameter than their competition so the vintage Permatones heads were made oversized to accommodate this issue.

User Info Menu

Late 8 is correct...................I like the Aquarian products.
    This is something us older Gretsch players have to live with.
    What drives me crazy is the first set of tom batters I bought were not a problem............the second set purchased were tight and had to be forced............this third purchase is not even close.

I had REMO clear Emps (barely used) in the drum room and put them on last night..............great fit.
    These are not the vintage series -- just regular clear Emps.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Disappointing to hear of Aquarians QC issues as I was thinking of trying them out for my next head change this fall.
    I'll bet the Aquarians fit your DW shells just fine.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Late 8 is correct...................I like the Aquarian products.
    This is something us older Gretsch players have to live with.
    What drives me crazy is the first set of tom batters I bought were not a problem............the second set purchased were tight and had to be forced............this third purchase is not even close.

I had REMO clear Emps (barely used) in the drum room and put them on last night..............great fit.
    These are not the vintage series -- just regular clear Emps.
    Remo heads teeter back an forth on all of my shells no matter how I rotate them. I still get a great sound though.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I'll bet the Aquarians fit your DW shells just fine.
    I totally agree! You'll be just fine!!

AF558C4F-B6A4-488F-B501-778FF9C886C2_zpstrjqu3yw.jpg

EAB14DC2-9C86-49BA-A676-A75DFCC79121_zpspnnui75i.jpg

User Info Menu

As I said in a previous post, I put some regular clear Emps on the toms as soon as I discovered the Aquarians were not going to fit.
    I had these Emps over two years and had played them only a few days when I took them off to put on some new Aquarians (that actually did fit).

So I put the Emps on and cranked them down really tight and just left them to work with later.
    Last night I tune them to my liking and play through a few tunes....................WOW -- they sound surprisingly good.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

As I said in a previous post, I put some regular clear Emps on the toms as soon as I discovered the Aquarians were not going to fit.
    I had these Emps over two years and had played them only a few days when I took them off to put on some new Aquarians (that actually did fit).

So I put the Emps on and cranked them down really tight and just left them to work with later.
    Last night I tune them to my liking and play through a few tunes....................WOW -- they sound surprisingly good.
    I had the "Vintage" version of the clear Emperors on the USA kit and I agree with you. Those heads were really awesome. Speaking of heads, I have organized all mine on one shelf and store them in the original cardboard sleeves to make re-labeling easier. Like yours, some of them have very little hours on them.

BD854157-4B1C-462E-85F5-F74A9C60F14C_zpspyu4a39v.jpg

User Info Menu

And I thought I had too many heads lying around !!!
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

And I thought I had too many heads lying around !!!
    lol! This stack holds my bass drum batter and reso heads:

1.jpg

User Info Menu

I had some old Grestch drums once and they were to big for most heads. I didn't keep them long, but I did keep the snare a long time. My local drum shop suggested a vintage head I think it was Remo, that was made for the older larger shells. That worked real good. I can't remember the exact name of it.