Thread: About time to change tom batter heads

User Info Menu

Default About time to change tom batter heads

I've been playing Evans EC2 batter over G1 resonate. It's about time to change my batter heads and am trying to decide if I want to go with the EC2 again, or maybe try something different.

For those who use Evans heads and play rock and blues, what are you using, and why?
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: About time to change tom batter heads

Quote Originally Posted by DrumWhipper View Post
    I've been playing Evans EC2 batter over G1 resonate. It's about time to change my batter heads and am trying to decide if I want to go with the EC2 again, or maybe try something different.

For those who use Evans heads and play rock and blues, what are you using, and why?
    Hey,Whip! I'm a EC2 person myself and g2's as well. I'm really loving my UV1's on my Sonor Safari kit a lot,lately. I think for coated heads they sound awesome!

User Info Menu

I have heard nothing but good things about the UV1's. They are supposed to be super durable as well. Modern Drummer podcast reviewed them a while back and raved about them.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

I've been using the Coated G2's over EC Resonant batters for quite some time now. I don't use any dampening, leave them wide open. For me its the perfect sound and feel. I also am partial to the coated head look.

User Info Menu

When we wanted "that 70s sound" we used the Evans hydraulics...................very durable too.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumWhipper View Post

I spent a lot of time playing on Evans heads. My Gretsch Renowns had Evans coated G1/EC clear Resonant and WOW, IMHO is was the perfect combo for rock and blues. I like single ply coated heads. I can really lay into them and there's a "give" to the feel when the stick rebounds.

gretsch57c.jpg

Recorded in my buddy's home studio with Evans blue hydraulics on my DW kit. Ricardo's correct by saying it is that '70's sound. A lot of drummers don't like hydraulic heads because they sound dead but with mics and a good mix, the heads come to life.

F279280A-4987-4F7A-9F55-C55A28A3B1FE_zps48wnhaao.jpg

But for gigs, I'd always went for the Evans clear EC2/EC clear resonant. Some claim that the EC2's were the Remo clear Pinstripe equivalent but I tend to disagree. In my opinion, the EC2s have a brighter sound and more rebound than the clear Pinstripes. I did a lot of gigs with very little micing on the kit and the EC2s projected loud enough to get picked up by the vocal mics.

gretsch57e-1.jpg

User Info Menu

I have played around with a lot of different head combinations. The 1 that I'm going back to is Evans G1's over G2's. (coated)

User Info Menu

I also really want to try out the V1s. Heard the coating is super durable and that sounds awesome to me!

User Info Menu

I played the clear EC2 over G1 combo for years with great results. I now play the clear G2 over G1 combo although I've been thinking about going back to the EC2 batters. Under mics, I tend to favor the EC2s but the G2s get the job done also.

User Info Menu

In my opinion (and it's just my opinion), if you're playing live with no mics, plain old clear 2ply batters (G2, Emps) and clear single ply reso's (G1, Ambo's) are the ticket. 2ply gives the attack and the clear gives it the full tone that helps it project and cut. The EC2, EC Reso's, Powerstrokes, pinstripes and other designs that cut the high tones are great up close, in a small room or in a mic. But if you don't mic, you need that high end and overtones to carry out into the room. Pitch gets lower as it travels, sounds get diffused, blends, etc.. You almost need to "overcompensate" at the kit, so that in a live band setting, the people in the room hear a full tonal sound. It may sound less than stellar from the throne, but out in front it all blends out.
    I also like tuning the reso looser than the batters. I think it helps project the sound forward off the reso, which is the head the audience hears most.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham