Thread: Blastbeats from 180 - 260 BPM

scottyp is offline Senior Member (Respected Chatter)

User Info Menu

Default Blastbeats from 180 - 260 BPM

Here is how blast beats look from 180BPM to 260BPM,. or 257 if you want to get technical. (I messed up the metronome)

I made this in response to the people fighting in the Facebook drum forums about blasting at 300 BPM. 260 is even insane, 300 is possible by a few guys which I do see, but when referring to speed it's 16th notes, and both hands if you ask me. I think my personal limit is 230/240 to keep it clean and play for a long period. Making this video I also realized 180 and 190 were difficult speeds to blast at as I never play in that range.I play mostly between 210 and 240 so 250-260 is really pushing it for me and kind of sloppy.

The bass drum is triggered as I am using heel toe and the toms have a terrible EQ on them as this was just a quick example.

The key is staying relaxed to play fast and for a long time. I am not relaxed at all above 240 so I can only do it for a short period of time.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Blastbeats from 180 - 260 BPM

your dbl bass work is just ridiculous! I know this was about the blast beats but my god thats nice foortwork and handwork!

User Info Menu

Maybe i'll do a bassdrum one soon... It's heel toe so kindof "cheating", but i have been working on my singles like crazy lately. Tighter springs helped alot

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scottyp View Post
    Maybe i'll do a bassdrum one soon... It's heel toe so kindof "cheating", but i have been working on my singles like crazy lately. Tighter springs helped alot
    Great job, I would be very interested to see how you approach the heel toe? I would love to be able to "CHEAT" like that.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I have a few how to's on my youtube channel but i'll make another one soon as I am always tweaking settings and evolving my technique. It's actually pretty easy with the right settings. The guitar player in my band was able to do it pretty fast day 1 after I showed him. haha. Having a trigger on the kick is kindof necessary though as the second hit of the RRLLRRLL isn't always as loud... I can do it even but at much slower speeds.

User Info Menu

Great work man! I couldn't help notice but are you using a trigger for the bass drum? Thanks!

User Info Menu

Ya, I always trigger my kick for the heel toe stuff, I have been getting more pedal tension lately though so I should loosen the head and give it another go with the mic... I often do a blend, but I am the laziest person when it comes to mixing audio.. haha