Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Drum Heads Add Up to $1100+

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default New Drum Heads Add Up to $1100+

I had to do a reality check on myself on what I had spent on new heads for 2017-18. One set of batter heads went with the Pearl double bass Export kit I sold and two custom bass heads went into the dumpster when the band broke up but everything else I still use or the heads sit on the shelf.

A.jpg

B.jpg

C.jpg

D.jpg

User Info Menu

Default Re: New Drum Heads Add Up to $1100+

continued...

E (2).jpg

F.jpg

G.jpg

User Info Menu

continued...

Heads organized by size or by full sets (batter/reso)

BD854157-4B1C-462E-85F5-F74A9C60F14C_zpspyu4a39v.jpg
    Last edited by late8; 02-05-2018 at 03:20 PM.

User Info Menu

Next project is to go through and organize all of my batter and reso heads for the 22" kicks:

85C7F81E-2843-48B4-B004-60238D8032BC_zps4yywkigq.jpg

User Info Menu

oh man!!! I hate thinking about my spendings when I look back at things.......
    Love the rack of drum heads btw.
    I have one just like it with all my heads too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    oh man!!! I hate thinking about my spendings when I look back at things.......
    Love the rack of drum heads btw.
    I have one just like it with all my heads too.
    Spaz, you're so lucky to work for a music store! I know your stuff ain't free but any savings is a huge help when things start to add up. I have an old paper grocery bag I toss all of my music store receipts into. I don't have the courage to audit myself but I know I've spent a mint on drum stuff.

User Info Menu

why did you toss out the band logo heads? even if the band never really got off the ground its kind of fun to keep those
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

That's why when I put my. band logo on the BD reso, I just have a vinyl decal made. It costs me $20 at a local sign shop. If I sell my kit, or just want to change the logo, I just peel it off. Clean the head with Goo-Gone, and it's like brand new. MUCH cheaper than buying a new $45 BD head!
    In addition, I can re-use factory BD heads; I saved the original reso off my old PDP kit. It has "PDP" printed on it, but a $20 band logo decal covers it right up. Now I can use it on my new Ludwigs....and save the factory "Ludwig" head.

I have a lot of used heads that only have 3 or 4 gigs on them.....but nothing even close to what you have. You have a better selection of heads than my local GC, LOL!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Hey Brian, Just a little bit of fingernail polish remover or lacquer thinner on some tissue paper will take those or any logo prints right off in about 2 seconds. . . . . just say'in. sorry, just got off the subject.
    Last edited by drummerMD; 02-05-2018 at 08:45 PM.

User Info Menu

So now I've got two sets of Aquarian batters I'll never use:
    One set Focus X coated;
    One set Studio X clears.
    Never been hit.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    why did you toss out the band logo heads? even if the band never really got off the ground its kind of fun to keep those
    Yeah I thought about keeping them slinky but looking at them brought up negative feelings about the entire ordeal. The only band reso head I kept so far was the '57 "It's All Good" head.

10497020_838225966241607_5076907660395962595_o_zps9865f968.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    That's why when I put my. band logo on the BD reso, I just have a vinyl decal made. It costs me $20 at a local sign shop. If I sell my kit, or just want to change the logo, I just peel it off. Clean the head with Goo-Gone, and it's like brand new. MUCH cheaper than buying a new $45 BD head!
    In addition, I can re-use factory BD heads; I saved the original reso off my old PDP kit. It has "PDP" printed on it, but a $20 band logo decal covers it right up. Now I can use it on my new Ludwigs....and save the factory "Ludwig" head.

I have a lot of used heads that only have 3 or 4 gigs on them.....but nothing even close to what you have. You have a better selection of heads than my local GC, LOL!
    Yeah I thought about going the vinyl decal route on the bass drum heads and peeling them off and using goo-gone to clean them up to re-use the head but I like the quality of work that Jim at DrumArt puts out and his online head builder software is so easy to use plus he uses Aquarian heads which I like. I dreaded the thought about going to a sign shop and trying to come up with a custom "one off" design. After adding up the "custom design fees" and the cost of materials, gas and time to drive back and forth to the shop plus buying the head, it may of been a wash. As far as vinyl decals, I love them! I bought Remo bass drum heads and used $5.00 stickers to re-create the Pearl factory look.

AFEF517A-A221-47B4-B877-5358C651E784_zpsnsa3bzg1.jpg

front_zpsrx0vmvky.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    So now I've got two sets of Aquarian batters I'll never use:
    One set Focus X coated;
    One set Studio X clears.
    Never been hit.
    What sizes? Maybe I could use them? Pm me for prices please!
    Last edited by late8; 02-07-2018 at 09:39 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    Hey Brian, Just a little bit of fingernail polish remover or lacquer thinner on some tissue paper will take those or any logo prints right off in about 2 seconds. . . . . just say'in. sorry, just got off the subject.
    Very true! Surprisingly, I never have either of those around the house. Not since I quit painting my toenails...
    I've also been known to color them in with a black Sharpie, LOL. Small ones anyway....like white Remo or Evans logos on black heads. From a couple feet away, it's not noticeable.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Here's an example of a $5.00 DW vinyl sticker. I guess I could of wiped off the Remo logo with nail polish remover as drummerMD mentioned and made it look cleaner right? Not too late...

6BF4C54D-5390-4617-B113-E9CB038BFC6E_zpsrtr41oop.jpg

User Info Menu

Okay...this is it. My last head order for 2018. It's a "Tune Up Kit" for my wife's vintage Ludwig Acrolite snare. I couldn't pass up buying a batter and reso for $40 plus all of the extra stuff they throw in. I noticed the other day the Ludwig factory reso is still on the snare that she bought from a pawn shop over 25 years ago. I took the Acrolite out of retirement recently so it defiantly needs a "tune up".

1.jpg

6F94AAD1-ED55-4FFD-8FAC-46EA12BE1707_zpsim2btutq.jpg
    Last edited by late8; 02-06-2018 at 09:52 AM.

User Info Menu

Dude

User Info Menu

Yup it’s an expensive hobby, but it’s all worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Dude
    Yeah I know...could of had a new mid-level kit with what I spent on heads last year but it took this long to finally get the sound out of my head and into the kit.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Yup it’s an expensive hobby, but it’s all worth it.
    So true! I can't argue with that!

User Info Menu

I have about $2500 worth of heads downstairs. When I buy heads I buy them for every drum. I have 10 toms, from 12" to 18". Snare is a Diplomat or Jack DeJohnette. That's just my Ludwigs. The Pearls are 12", 13", 14" (up tom) 14" (FT) and 16" (FT).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I have about $2500 worth of heads downstairs. When I buy heads I buy them for every drum. I have 10 toms, from 12" to 18". Snare is a Diplomat or Jack DeJohnette. That's just my Ludwigs. The Pearls are 12", 13", 14" (up tom) 14" (FT) and 16" (FT).
    Wow! I was feeling like a freak just a few minutes ago after looking back at what I spent. Thanks for chiming in. I'm obviously in good company!

User Info Menu

You know when someone has 10 kits and plays in 3 bands then 1100.00 is pocket change compared to the amount of money one would spent on new heads over the course of a year.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    You know when someone has 10 kits and plays in 3 bands then 1100.00 is pocket change compared to the amount of money one would spent on new heads over the course of a year.
    So true Gilles!!

User Info Menu

I was sort of pointing at you Rich except you don't play in 3 bands lol.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I was sort of pointing at you Rich except you don't play in 3 bands lol.
    LOL! Yeah I know, and I don't have 10 kits. I had 7 but now down to just 3. Yahoo!!

2011-2012:

four_kits_in_a_rowskyview.jpg

2014-2015:

7_kits_4_17_16_zpsys6vxpdg.jpg

2016-2017:

rsized_7_6_17_16_zpslylyitr2.jpg
    Last edited by late8; 02-07-2018 at 11:40 AM.

User Info Menu

The three I have left with factory logo'd resos and Aquarian heads, Finally DONE!

D68C77A1-20C9-4D28-BB3A-66CAB44B293E_zpsocjsjepu.jpg

AE1DA041-F687-427D-A87F-A380891FA732_zpsajwwgapi.jpg

User Info Menu

Show off lol.