Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Drum Heads Add Up to $1100+

User Info Menu

Default Re: New Drum Heads Add Up to $1100+

Part of the blame goes to the manufacturers. There's so many different versions of heads. Someone is always coming out with a new design for a specific sound. Many of us get caught up in looking for a better mousetrap. It's almost borderline "gimmick" when they offer the same basic design, but with multiple options of ply thickness, vent holes, different color dots, etc..
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Part of the blame goes to the manufacturers. There's so many different versions of heads. Someone is always coming out with a new design for a specific sound. Many of us get caught up in looking for a better mousetrap. It's almost borderline "gimmick" when they offer the same basic design, but with multiple options of ply thickness, vent holes, different color dots, etc..
    In my humble opinion, I like innovation. The Evans 360 hoop design which has been out for sometime and the Aquarian Reflector series batter heads are just a few examples of input from artisan and engineers on improving or enhancing the tone coming out of the shell. I feel Evans and Aquarian are industry leaders in bringing new drum head ideas to the table. I agree with you that by the end of the day, vent holes, dampening rings, ply thicknesses, mylar composites and the like are gimmicks of the trade but think about O-zone cymbals from Sabian or the EFX line from Zildjian or the Atlas mounts from Ludwig. I'm all for a better "mouse trap". I just don't have the money to keep up.

User Info Menu

Here's a really good comparison between drum heads. I can bet all of you who watch this will have a favorite sound or tone that suits your ears or a drum head that you've been playing for countless of years that's your "go to" but there are some new drum heads out there that you might want to have a listen to.

User Info Menu

Snare batter comparison:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Here's a really good comparison between drum heads. I can bet all of you who watch this will have a favorite sound or tone that suits your ears or a drum head that you've been playing for countless of years that's your "go to" but there are some new drum heads out there that you might want to have a listen to.
    Thanks for posting that vid.....................very timely since I'm in a funk right now about the heads' tight fit, this is an interesting comparison.
    I can hear differences but they were not as dramatic as one might expect.
    The clear Emps had more click, for sure, but still sound good.
    Also -- the Aquarian package (recall, they sent me American Vintage heads) arrived yesterday................no decision yet when to try those.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Thanks for posting that vid.....................very timely since I'm in a funk right now about the heads' tight fit, this is an interesting comparison.
    I can hear differences but they were not as dramatic as one might expect.
    The clear Emps had more click, for sure, but still sound good.
    Also -- the Aquarian package (recall, they sent me American Vintage heads) arrived yesterday................no decision yet when to try those.
    Your welcome! I'll be curious to know what you think of the vintage heads Aquarian sent you.

User Info Menu

Snare tune up kit came in:

681BF5CE-7993-4973-88FC-BFFDF4DD6CC5_zpsge0dh3i3.jpg

6715CAA3-C318-465C-8C2E-E09D22CA18A4_zps2ignfr6w.jpg

Damage to snare side reso I didn't catch until I swapped heads. What a difference!!

1.jpg

2.jpg

User Info Menu

Had an opportunity to hear the new heads on the DW kit and I'm stoked. Due to channel limitations at the DAW, I had to split up the drum mics between the rack toms but nonetheless, the overall improvement was well worth the investment. The textured heads have less attack than the clear heads I was using but much more of a warmer, subtle tone.

FFE9D689-7F61-480E-A5D3-0AD132903352_zpsfmyn9a6o.jpg

9012E280-070D-4E52-BB4F-3880F65ACB03_zpsjrfnbxe5.jpg

User Info Menu

The jury is still out on the non-ported DW stock head. I got a Audix D6 on the reso and a clear SKII on the batter but I'm not hearing the beater hit the head since the mic is not buried in the kick. I'll try a re-mix of the bass drum channel before tossing in the towel and swapping the head for a ported one. We tried double micing the kick with a 57 on the batter in past sessions but even with it gated off there was too much snare.

F56582D5-991A-49D6-95A6-F2D01A0C8175_zpsunxq1l3o.jpg

Got a 57 on the hihats and one on the snare:

94E03A13-8D9F-4352-BE70-6216E28964BB_zpsaplypnyn.jpg

and three CAD 90 as overheads:

B183BA3E-E908-4F9A-8C2D-50A44B999DDB_zps7gb8ifa0.jpg

User Info Menu

late silly question but what all comes in that snare tune up kit?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    late silly question but what all comes in that snare tune up kit?
    Included in this TUNE-UP PACK:

1- TC14 Coated Single Ply Snare Batter
    1- CCSN14 Snare Side Resonant Head
    1- 14" Studio Control Ring
    2- T-Tab Reusable Tone Modifiers
    1- 4.5" duraDot Reusable Tone Dot
    2- Snare Head Protective Strips
    2- Woven Snare Straps