Thread: Changed my set up

User Info Menu

Default Changed my set up

Something had been bothering me about my kit setup for a while and I couldn't figure out what it was. Tom fills seemed a little clunky and I seemed to be reaching a little more than I thought I should be to reach everything. I was listening to a Modern Drummer podcast when one of the hosts talked about setting his kit up when he gigged and how he always made sure the floor tom was equal height as his snare, and each was equal distance from the center of the bass drum. I looked at my kit and noticed that my floor tom was a good 1-2 inches lower than my snare and further away from the bass drum than the snare was. I raised the FT and brought it in to where it is equal distance from the BD and bam, problem solved! Everything feels much better now. A simple 1-2 inches taller and maybe 3-4 inches towards the bass made all the difference.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Default Re: Changed my set up

Nice! I’m very ocd when it comes to my setup so I had both of those already. Pretty cool I wasn’t the only one who thought like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

my floor toms always match my snare. I also like them flat like my snare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    my floor toms always match my snare. I also like them flat like my snare
    Same here................with my rack tom not much higher.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

It's a good feeling to get the kit dialed in. I have my floor toms even height with my snare too. I find it easier to transition from the floor tom to the snare if both are the equal distances to the bass drum.

I had saved your old bird'seye view from a previous discussion thread to compare:

Birds20eye20one_zpsjsjmjpzd.jpg
    Last edited by late8; 02-07-2018 at 09:30 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    It's a good feeling to get the kit dialed in. I have my floor toms even height with my snare too. I find it easier to transition from the floor tom to the snare if both are the equal distances to the bass drum.

I had saved your old bird'seye view from a previous discussion thread to compare:

Birds20eye20one_zpsjsjmjpzd.jpg
    I took a pick of the new set up, now need to find how to attach images!
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

IMG_0078.jpg

Let's see if this works. So to compare, rack toms are flatter, FT is closer and equal in height to SD, new heads, new BD pedal, hihat stand now using 2 sided velcro to keep in place vs weights, and stuffed Animal between the rack toms. Not pictured, new Roc n Soc throne lol.
    Last edited by OldeEnglishD; 02-07-2018 at 11:08 AM.

User Info Menu

I usually have the FT as close to the BD as I can get it, without rubbing against it. I also set it the same height as the snare. I've played 1up/1down long enough now that I can transition between fairly smoothly. That said, I'm not exactly "speedy" on the drums, anyway.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I usually keep my floor tom a little lower than my snare on 5-piece setups so I can keep my ride at a comfortable height. I just set this kit up today for a back yard jam this weekend, and I am going to play around with it to see if I like the tom a bit higher.

F69wToBl.jpg

User Info Menu

Yeah set up is pretty crucial to my playing. I recently sold my DW because practicing on a 24" BD with a 13x9 rack tom above it and then gigging with a 22" BD and a 12 x 8 rack tom above or vice versa was just not working for me. Every now and then when rolling from the snare to the rack tom I would actually hit the 13" below the rim into the shell or I would hit the 12" tom way to high up on the head and sometimes the rim.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    IMG_0078.jpg

Let's see if this works. So to compare, rack toms are flatter, FT is closer and equal in height to SD, new heads, new BD pedal, hihat stand now using 2 sided velcro to keep in place vs weights, and stuffed Animal between the rack toms. Not pictured, new Roc n Soc throne lol.
    Now that looks really nice and comfy! If I didn't know any better, I would of confused your set up with mine.

gretsch_bird_zpshertbcpy.jpg

User Info Menu

This morning I made a few adjustments---tightened everything up---snare, hats, FT, and ride---and raised the FT/ride about 2" I like it so far!

DBf8Cfdl.jpg

User Info Menu

Yep, both floor toms same height as the snare. First floor tom almost touching the kick.
    IMG_3104.jpg
    IMG_1585.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Now that looks really nice and comfy! If I didn't know any better, I would of confused your set up with mine.

gretsch_bird_zpshertbcpy.jpg
    late, I just need the splash and china lol!