Thread: GAS Question: New Crash

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default GAS Question: New Crash

What is the best sounding Zildjian K crash out there right now ?

More options that there used to be.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: GAS Question: New Crash

My 15" and 17" K Hybrids are pretty spectacular. I get a lot of compliments on those and I never received compliments before on any of my crashes. They are bright with a quick decay. Plus they look fantastic. Those are the only K's I have experience with though.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I don't have any other K cymbals to compare but my favorite K crash right now is the 16" K Custom Dark which I have mounted above the 1st rack tom. I found an 18" in the same line and make that compliments the 16" and I have that one mounted over the 3rd rack tom. Before the K's entered my life, my go-to crash was a 16" Zildjian A Custom that I use at my weekly jam sessions.

The "Dark" designation is a bit misleading in my opinion for the 16". That one has a bit of brightness to it which makes it versatile for a lot of genres but the 18" truly sounds dark (gloomy) with tons of mid to low overtones in the wash.

dw_bird_zps08lzjcyi.jpg
    Last edited by late8; 02-07-2018 at 08:44 AM.

User Info Menu

I would LOVE to take that kit out for a test drive Late! I just love it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    My 15" and 17" K Hybrids are pretty spectacular. I get a lot of compliments on those and I never received compliments before on any of my crashes. They are bright with a quick decay. Plus they look fantastic. Those are the only K's I have experience with though.
    I have never had the opportunity to hit one of those hybrids......................and I like bright with quick decay.
    Since I'm looking for a 17", you just got me interested.

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I don't have any other K cymbals to compare but my favorite K crash right now is the 16" K Custom Dark which I have mounted above the 1st rack tom. I found an 18" in the same line and make that compliments the 16" and I have that one mounted over the 3rd rack tom. Before the K's entered my life, my go-to crash was a 16" Zildjian A Custom that I use at my weekly jam sessions.
    I don't have any of the K Customs either.
    My K crashes are the conventional dark-thin................I have a 15 that is awesome...............and a medium-thin 16 for a little more weight.
    I also have a set of K 13 hats that I'll never let go of.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I would LOVE to take that kit out for a test drive Late! I just love it
    Thanks Spaz!

User Info Menu

I have no "K" experience either, but I would suggest what has generally worked for me. For crash cymbals the basic sweet spot is 16" to 18" and on the thinner side for bright and quick. Adjust thickness/weight for white noise to darker more toneyness. I flesh out the crash arena with a China, a Pang, and a couple (thin) splashes.

User Info Menu

For me, the Kerope's hands down, but might not be rocky enough. Classic dark sound with a sustaining musical shimmer.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Here's my experience:

K Dark Thin - warm, a touch of trash, blend very well with the music. Very soft feel, opens up quickly, even with a light strike. The larger diameters can get pretty dark. You'll want to hear them in person.

K Dark Medium Thin - just as you would expect - very similar to KDT but with a little more body, projection, a bit higher pitched, feels a little heavier than the KDT but still pretty thin

K Custom - These have grown on me. More cut than the traditional K, louder, The "Fast" version has a real quick, almost white noise in the mix.

K Custom Session - love the hats. Nice cut with a touch of darkness so they aren't overbearing. The crashes don't excite me as much - they sound a little heavy or metallic or something.

Kerope - love these for their purpose. Kind of like a traditional K with tape on it. Quieter, very mellow. Beautiful sound. Perfect for acoustic singer-songwriter stuff

K Sweet - I've only played the ride and it sounds like a dark A Sweet ride which, I suppose, is what it was designed to sound like. all I know about the crashes is that they are lathed and hammered like traditional Ks, but are thinner and have an unlathed bell.

I've settled on K's - they have a somewhat bright initial attack and wash out with the dark decay. And the feel is fantastic - like butter.

User Info Menu

I have a k custom dark 18" crash I love the sound but wish it was louder I really have to hit it to get the volume I want

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    Here's my experience:

K Dark Thin - warm, a touch of trash, blend very well with the music. Very soft feel, opens up quickly, even with a light strike. The larger diameters can get pretty dark. You'll want to hear them in person.

K Dark Medium Thin - just as you would expect - very similar to KDT but with a little more body, projection, a bit higher pitched, feels a little heavier than the KDT but still pretty thin

K Custom - These have grown on me. More cut than the traditional K, louder, The "Fast" version has a real quick, almost white noise in the mix.

K Custom Session - love the hats. Nice cut with a touch of darkness so they aren't overbearing. The crashes don't excite me as much - they sound a little heavy or metallic or something.

Kerope - love these for their purpose. Kind of like a traditional K with tape on it. Quieter, very mellow. Beautiful sound. Perfect for acoustic singer-songwriter stuff

K Sweet - I've only played the ride and it sounds like a dark A Sweet ride which, I suppose, is what it was designed to sound like. all I know about the crashes is that they are lathed and hammered like traditional Ks, but are thinner and have an unlathed bell.

I've settled on K's - they have a somewhat bright initial attack and wash out with the dark decay. And the feel is fantastic - like butter.
    Thanks G.................

I've been listening to a lot of the options on a vendor website that allows you to purchase the very same cymbal in the sound file (so there might be a variable number of sound files for a specific size cymbal -- one for each in stock)......................based on the accuracy (inaccuracy ?) of those clips, the K Dark Thin Crash sounds the best to my ears.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

The only K I have is the 15" K Custom Dark Crash. I got it in a pawn shop for $25! I love the sound of it and it blends well with my A Customs.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

I was able to sell two cymbals that were not quite fitting in with my set-up and with that cash I was able to buy a cymbal I really like.
    I decided to add another Zildjian K Dark thin crash -- 16 inch (I also considered the 17 inch version for a long time).
    My second choice was the K Custom Hybrid in the same size......................but I decided on the traditional cymbal.
    I have two other crash cymbals from the K Dark series (one thin and one medium-thin), as well as a set of 13-inch hats................all of these cymbals are top-notch.
    And to answer the main question.....................they sound terrific.
    The cost is a bit more than some of the other choices but, in my case, the K series is worth the difference.
    Thanks to everyone here for the input.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

I have one 18 K dark thin crash and works well with my vintage 70's 17 A thin crash.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I have one 18 K dark thin crash and works well with my vintage 70's 17 A thin crash.
    Agreed.................those 70s vintage A Zildjians were better than what is offered today and they mix well with the current line of K Zildjians.
    I have a 1976 A Zildjian thin crash (16) that is outstanding................I have never played a gig without it (since '76).
    I also have a 1973 A Zildjian 22" heavy ride that is super too.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

That is all I ever played where my Vintage A's since I bought them back in the 70's then purchased my 18 K dark 4 years ago after a lot of review reading and sound samples I decided it would be the best companion for my A's
    17 A thin
    14 new beats h hats
    21 Sweet crash/ride.
    Great family of Zildjians which are versatile to any genre of music.