Thread: Evans UV1 for snare?

User Info Menu

Default Evans UV1 for snare?

Anyone have any experience with the UV1 for a snare batter? My Remo Ambassador coated is showing some wear (I think my son dropped something on it as it has a gouge in it) and I was thinking of replacing it. I have heard the UV1 is super durable due to the coating process, but wanted to see if anyone here has any experience with it. Thanks!
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Default Re: Evans UV1 for snare?

I've played on a couple and compared to what Evans used to put out ,worth a looksee.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    Anyone have any experience with the UV1 for a snare batter? My Remo Ambassador coated is showing some wear (I think my son dropped something on it as it has a gouge in it) and I was thinking of replacing it. I have heard the UV1 is super durable due to the coating process, but wanted to see if anyone here has any experience with it. Thanks!
    I have them on my Sonor Safari and luv'em! I don't have one on my snare though. I think there was someone on this Forum that put one on his snare and loved it.

User Info Menu

I have the UV1 on my Tama SLP Black Brass and it sounds great!

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

I've found the coating on Aquarian heads seems to last forever - the Ambo equivalent is the 'texture coated drumhead', the only potential drawback I can think of is they seem to be a little smaller than Remo/Evans heads so I wouldn't fit them to a wrapped drum (I fitted one to a wrapped Mapex Meridian snare and had to remove it with a sawn off drumstick and a mallet!).

Personally I think they are as good as (and very similar to) Ambo heads but seem to last longer. I've been intending to buy a couple as spares, but Aquarian heads seem to be as rare as hen's teeth in the UK.

User Info Menu

I was looking to swap to the UV1s myself! Very excited to try them out.