Thread: In a quandry

User Info Menu

Default In a quandry

I'm hoping my drum brethren can help me find clarity here. Once again I find myself in band drama. I and two bandmates left my last band due to a husband\wife situation where the wife was a terrible singer and the husband couldn't kick her out. The three of us found a phenomenal singer and started a new band. After a number of iterations, we arrived at a solid line up and have been gigging occasionally. We have been received well for the most part, and our vocals have garnered the most praise. A growing problem has been with the guitarists, the two members who came from me from the original band. Guitarist 1 is a talented, seasoned player who knows a lot of songs from a certain era (60s-70s). His problem is that he doesn't want to put in the work to learn new songs or really perfect the lead parts on songs in general. He is content to practice once a week, gig once a month, and rarely pick up the guitar otherwise. He also complains that we have too much gear and take to long to set up. He always asks can we leave the subwoofer at home or can't you get a smaller drum kit(mind you I gig with a bare minimum 4 or 5 piece kit with 3 cymbals and a hi hat). The bass player and singer are tired of him coming to practice unprepared and even worse, embarrassing us at gigs when he flubs a lead on a song we've been playing for a year and a half then makes a face that broadcasts it to the audience. Guitarist 2 has much less ability and has been mostly playing rhythm on acoustic, but guitarist 1 has been letting him take on more lead parts, seemingly because he doesn't want to bother. This leads to even more embarrassment on stage when guitarist 2 has to begin a song and is standing there trying to remember it while the rest of the band and the audience are waiting. The last gig was the last straw for the singer and bass player. They both had musician friends in the audience who asked them what they are doing playing with those 2 guys. Coincidentally, the bass player's friend, a phenomenal guitarist, singer and dynamic frontman called him and said he was forming a new band and if he wasn't happy in the present situation he should bring me and the singer over to his band, to which he would add keys and be up and running after 2-3 rehearsals. This band would play similar material, but have more of the uptempo contemporary and dance music that guitarist 1 doesn't want to play, which would get us better gigs and more money. This band would also be much less of a burden on me. I wouldn't have to hustle for gigs, be the sound man, organize the set lists, etc. I would just be the drummer and occasional singer. This is a big step up in the expected level of professionalism however. Now I have played a jam with this guitarist so he knows my work and that's why he wants me, and the bass player has talked up my commitment and work ethic. This band would gig more frequently, but would practice weekly after the first month or so, so the time commitment is about the same. I am intrigued by the challenge and would love to be part of a band that blows people away. I am torn though because the guitarists are my friends and I work with one of them. But they brought this on themselves and the singer and bassist are leaving, so if I don't go I'll have no band and I don't want to start over. I would hope they'd understand it's nothing personal and it's an opportunity i can't pass up.
    What do you guys all think?

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Default Re: In a quandry

Go with the new band nubdrummer! Guitarist #1 sound like he's burned out. Don't let friendships stand in the way of your progress moving forward.

User Info Menu

wow that's a rough time there!

You know honestly I would just scrap it all and start all over fresh to be honest.
    To many forest fires to control and the bridges are starting to light...

User Info Menu

you do what you gotta do!

all the best...

User Info Menu

I would definitely take the step up.
    Guitarist #1 no longer matters; guitarist #2 will be bummed but he will understand after you simply tell him the truth.
    You won't regret it.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I have been in your situation before. I would do it.

User Info Menu

If any situation says husband, wife, boyfriend, girlfriend, get thee butt as far away as you can. Been there, done that, lived to tell the tale.

Probably the safe way to go is to find 3-4 people that have been neutered or spayed. Their mind should be strictly on music after that.

User Info Menu

If you stay then you're screwed - guitar 1 just wants to go through the motions but isn't willing to put in any work or commit. guitar 2 is lacking experience.

I'd apologise to guitar 2 but explain that as things are you and bass are moving on, not his fault etc, but neither are willing to continue with the band as is. As for guitar 1 - bollocks to him.

If you've been friends for ages, well - he may sulk for a while, but he'll probably get over it as most friends do. If he doesn't - the phrase bollocks to him springs to mind.

Move on while you have the opportunity. Sticking in your current situation sounds like an exercise in frustration that will only end badly, sometimes cutting your losses is the only option.

User Info Menu

i was in a band with my gf (at that time) many years ago. It was ok sometimes.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Not a difficult decision whatsoever. New band. Wish every decision was that easy.

User Info Menu

I was recalling your question last night while I was at home woodshedding and thinking of my own band context:

My current band includes two guitar players, one of which is incredibly talented but lazy...................he does not properly put in the time woodshedding.
    Just think how good he could be if he would put out a little more effort.
    He also blows off doing the necessary work for any upcoming gig until the last minute -- this means the rest of us (who actually do prepare in a timely fashion) go to practice and watch him go through learning phrases that he should have done on his own time.
    Just think how good he could be if he would put out a little more effort................and maybe the band could improve a bit along the way.

The other guitar player is very competent and is willing to woodshed to make the songs sound great..................I make sure I compliment and thank him for his efforts as often as needed.
    Whenever I get new ideas for cool guitar parts, I take them to guitarist #2.
    None of my band problems are going to break up the band -- they are simply annoyances.

Every band has such problems.................but apparently, your guitarist is beyond help.
    As such............it is time for you to move on and take the opportunity that is in front of you.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Two words: do it.

There's nothing about the potential new band that isn't better than the old band. Guitarist 1 has a bad attitude and Guitarist 2 doesn't have the chops. Staying where you are is only going to get more frustrating.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Here's an update: My wife, who is not a musician, is appalled and extremely angry that I would even consider leaving my friends to join another band. She thinks because it is not my profession, it doesn't matter that this is a great opportunity, you just don't do that to friends. I spoke to Guitarist 1 today and while he doesn't seem angry at me, he is mad at the bass player and his friend, who he says is "raiding the band we've spent all this time getting to this point". I said I don't see it that way. The new guy doesn't expect us to leave the current band, he's just inviting us to join another band. He himself is already in 2 other bands.
    Anyway I don't see how I could join this band and still be able to live at home, so I will quit and continue on with my other band, which coincidentally just auditioned a female singer last night(she was auditioning us as well) and it looks very promising, so at least I'll have one project.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Time for a new wife??

User Info Menu

I would leave the current band. If you’re not making money, and not having fun, what’s the point?

I have no idea how to reconcile with your wife
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nubdrummer View Post
    Here's an update: My wife, who is not a musician, is appalled and extremely angry that I would even consider leaving my friends to join another band. She thinks because it is not my profession, it doesn't matter that this is a great opportunity, you just don't do that to friends. I spoke to Guitarist 1 today and while he doesn't seem angry at me, he is mad at the bass player and his friend, who he says is "raiding the band we've spent all this time getting to this point". I said I don't see it that way. The new guy doesn't expect us to leave the current band, he's just inviting us to join another band. He himself is already in 2 other bands.
    Anyway I don't see how I could join this band and still be able to live at home, so I will quit and continue on with my other band, which coincidentally just auditioned a female singer last night(she was auditioning us as well) and it looks very promising, so at least I'll have one project.
    Your wife is right about it not being your job. That said, why should you carry on in a frustrating situation that isn't how you keep the lights on?
    Mmm... Saturns.