Thread: Anyone Know What's Making This Click Sound in Early Elvis/Sun Recordings?

User Info Menu

Default Anyone Know What's Making This Click Sound in Early Elvis/Sun Recordings?

Guys, the band I play with is putting together a Sun Studios set, Elvis and Carl Perkins, etc. The drums often have a "clickety" sound that I am trying to reproduce.

There's a video of DJ Fontana in '68 where he's making this sound on the back of a guitar case! Hard to believe that's what they used in the recording session though.

You can hear it pretty plainly on this clip of Carl Perkins:

Maybe it's a rim click, as simple as that?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Anyone Know What's Making This Click Sound in Early Elvis/Sun Recordings?

Welcome to the forum eheller! You are correct sir! Rim clicks (not cross sticking) as seen on this Carl Perkins video when he made an appearance on the Perry Como Show. Watch the drummers left hand (highlighted with circle) go back and forth from the rim to the batter.

x.jpg

User Info Menu

Default Re: Anyone Know What's Making This Click Sound in Early Elvis/Sun Recordings?

I've been to Sun Studios twice.............an awesome experience............(along with a stop at the Memphis Drum Shop, Graceland, Beale Street blues clubs and the baby-back ribs) highly recommended if you find yourself in Memphis.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I used to have a Russ Miller Groove wedge that made a similar sound if I just tapped it with the tip of the stick instead of like a rim click. Maybe look into something like that? I may even still have it.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Russ Miller Groove wedge:

miller.jpg

User Info Menu

I love that video of Carl Perkins. Love that he plays an open hi-hat and crosses over for the ride.

User Info Menu

A lot of times, on old Rock-A-billy and juke-joint swing, that click sound is the stand-up Bass player using a type of string slap technique. Many times those groups didn’t even have a drummer at all.

Last Fall, my band opened up for Wayne Hancock at a local tour stop. It was just him pounding out chords on an acoustic, a standup bass player, a Gal playing pedal steel and a guy on a Telecaster. No drummer, but that constant click sound is what makes everything work!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 02-22-2018 at 07:13 PM.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

There was no drummer on Presley's original Sun sides. N2Bluz is correct : It was Bill Black's slap bass technique.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Last Fall, my band opened up for Wayne Hancock at a local tour stop. It was just him pounding out chords on an acoustic, a standup bass player, a Gal playing pedal steel and a guy on a Telecaster. No drummer, but that constant click sound is what makes everything work!
    I bet that was Rose Sinclair on the steel guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JoePasko View Post
    I bet that was Rose Sinclair on the steel guitar.
    Honestly, I don’t remember her name. She was awesome, and easy on the eyes too.
    DD56F288-5180-4529-A7E0-0C186D11DB7A.jpg
    I consumed my fair share of refreshments after we finished. I hung out and talked with her and the Bass and Lead player for quite a while during their break. They were all really nice. Wayne was nice too, but the song “Lost in the Ozone” comes to mind.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Honestly, I don’t remember her name. She was awesome, and easy on the eyes too.

I consumed my fair share of refreshments after we finished. I hung out and talked with her and the Bass and Lead player for quite a while during their break. They were all really nice. Wayne was nice too, but the song “Lost in the Ozone” comes to mind.
    Yeah, that's Rose. First time I met her, she was playing rhythm guitar in the OK Bayou Cajun Band. Several years later, I saw her onstage playing button accordion & clawhammer banjo with 'The Heartbeats' (w/ Tara Nevins, from Donna the Buffalo). Now she has re-invented herself once again, as a western-swing steel guitarist.