Thread: Bass drum muffling

User Info Menu

Default Bass drum muffling

Anyone have experience with Remo Muff-L-Rings on bass drums? I have a 22x14 that is a little too boomy for my taste. I have a Black Suede PS3 batter, and a single ply Graphic reso (no port). I'm trying to decide which head to try the ring on first. Any suggestions?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bass drum muffling

I'd try it on the batter.

Not sure how dead your wanting it, but how are the heads adjusted now? Is there anything inside the drum? The 14" depth will tend to have a little more "boominess" compared to an 18" or 20" deep shell.

If not, try putting a pillow or blanket or a piece of foam in the bottom of the shell to absorb the resonance. Keep the batter on the loose side and the reso fairly tight.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I have the batter at JAW plus about 1/4 to 1/2 turn, and the reso another 1/2 turn past that---no laundry inside---I love the sound out front, but I want to dial it back a bit without killing it completely!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hippychip View Post
    I want to dial it back a bit without killing it completely!
    In this case I use a towel rather than a small pillow................easy to shape to fit your need.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I need to be able to move the drums around without worrying about the muffling shifting. I set these up on my back porch for jam nights, and stack them in my studio when I am not using them. The Muff-L-Ring completely killed all tone. When I took it off I played with the tuning, and found that another 1/4 turn on the reso side made a big difference. Now I am pleased with how it sounds, and still have the ability to move it in and out without taking the head off every time.

User Info Menu

A flat not puffy pillow works for me as my kick is 18"

Allows the heads to vibrate a bit but in a clipped way.

Sounds akin to a bass player palm muting his strings. There's tone there but without a lot of over ring

Over the years, I've tried all kinds of things including wide open but just not able to dig that sound. I like to go for more of a soft heart beat kind of sound.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I'm glad you found the solution to your BD tone control. I've had ports on most of mine which makes mufflage implement adjustments a breeze.
    I currently have a dw which has the stock "pillow" system with velcro allowing adjustment and securing it in place. This idea of velcro strikes me as semi brilliant and leads to the suggestion that in similar cases to yours it may be possible to find a suitable size pillow, pad, or mat etc, apply two sided velcro tape to it and the inside of the shell.

User Info Menu

I actually had a local woman custom make some pillows for me for the PDP kit.
    I had her base them off the DW design.
    They work great!

User Info Menu

I've had some luck by cutting a 2" port in the batter(PS3 I think) to let some boominess out without using a ported reso..
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I always found that tuning works well. My set is: 24"x14" BD, 14"x10" up tom, 13"x9" up tom, 16"x16" FT, 18"x16" FT, and over the FT's, a 14"x10" and 15"x12" toms.

None of my drums have any muffling at all. All my snares have my popsicle stick.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    I've had some luck by cutting a 2" port in the batter(PS3 I think) to let some boominess out without using a ported reso..
    Really? You port your batter? Where do you put the port?

User Info Menu

Threads a few days old, Spaz, but I currently have my batter head ported, too, unported reso. I have two 2" ports, one either side of the beater, about four inches out. It's ok, but certainly not a revolutionary sound. I could live with it, but I'll be going back to unported front and rear soon.