Thread: Snare wires

User Info Menu

Default Snare wires

What snare wires do you use, and why?

I use PureSound 30 strand on my snares. I'm able to get more "pop" when I tune the heads tight.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare wires

I use pure sound 20’s, I think.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

I installed Pure Sound wires on several of my old snares. I liked them at first, but after playing them on a few gigs, I felt they just sounded too harsh and bright. I replaced them with standard Pearl snare wires and liked it better.

The 2 snares I use now are my Pork Pie 13x7 and my Ludwig Supra 14x8. Both are new and have the factory wires. I love the sound of them as they are.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I use Ludwig snare wires on my '70 Ludwig LM 400. On the others, I use either the Ludwig snare wires or Puresound Blasters ...

User Info Menu

I've used Puresound but use just reagular ol standard wires most of the time for my regular butt n throwoff snares but Pearl strands for the free floater.

Also use fabric straps because the little plastic ones that come with the wires are useless as far as i'm concerned and don't prefer string. Got a good nylon material from a yardage shop and cut it into strips.

As far as why.... well they all will break eventually so i take my chances with the cost factor involved. Snappy's being my last resort though.
    Last edited by slinky; 02-19-2018 at 06:39 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I have a range of Puresound snare wires I've experimented with. From 20 to 30 all the way up to 40.

I'm actually installing a Puresound 30 on tonight to my new Yamaha snare.

User Info Menu

Gibraltar 20 strand---and I take the 4 center ones out on my steel shell drums.

User Info Menu

I have never paid attention to how many strands or type of wires I use on my 3 snares. I never had to change them and they sound good to me.

User Info Menu

The only time I normally change out stock snares is when I buy used and they are either broken or they are the wrong snares for the drum(Pearl FF retrofitted with standard snares )

Fat Cat snares are useful if you need to replace or retrofit snares with little or no snare beds as they have models(pitched) that work better than regular snares.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes