Thread: DW 3500 Hi Hat Feedback

User Info Menu

Default DW 3500 Hi Hat Feedback

I currently have a DW 5500D Hi Hat Stand that I've been gigging with for about 15 years now without any problems whatsoever. I'm thinking about downsizing to the 3500 but don't know much about it. Both are the three legged stands which I prefer.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the two? Will I be losing anything except for weight by downsizing to the 3500? Stability, reliability, feel, etc? Would I be better off just staying with the 5500?

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: DW 3500 Hi Hat Feedback

Looks to me like there's two basic differences; the 5500 has larger diameter tubes and also has the Delta hinge (ball bearings) on the footboard and a ball bearing on the chain connection. I'm guessing the 3500 may not feel as smooth...but I could be wrong.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Yeah, that is what I was thinking too although I'm not sure how much of a difference the thinner tubes and ball bearings really make. I have an old Tama Road Pro hi hat stand that is about the same size as the 3500 that I use with my practice pad setup and it feels fine to me. Trouble is, I can't find any 3500s around here to try out in person.

Thanks for the feedback N2Bluz ...

User Info Menu

I honestly wouldn't be worried. It's still going to be built with DW standards and quality.

User Info Menu

I agree. The 3500 does look like it inherits a lot of the beefier features from the 5500.

User Info Menu

If it makes you feel any better, I’ve been gigging with a DW 6500 flat base light-weight (not the Ultra-light) hi-hat stand for about a year. It’s held up just fine, and it’s made from even smaller tubing. Granted, I’m not exactly a hard player or a touring musician....but it’s proven to be solid & dependable thus far.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I've heard and read a lot of good things about the 6500 so I'm confident that the 3500 is also a solid product. My 5500 has served me well for the last 15 years or so of gigging. I believe that I'm going to go ahead and pick up a 3500.

User Info Menu

Can't go wrong with the 3500. Looks solid. I own a 5500 and no complaints.

User Info Menu

+1 on the 5500, great hardware. Mine's still going strong after 15 years of heavy gigging.

The 3500 is missing a couple of key features that make the 5500 smoother but it looks just as solid in the build department, typical DW build quality ...

User Info Menu

I've got both of these and the 3500 sways too much for me. It stays put, but I don't like the look of it rocking around on stage. The 5500 is heavier duty all around. As far as action they are both good, but I like the 5500 for its greater stability.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

I have read that about the 3500. I've decided to stay put with the 5500 for now.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!