Thread: Cleaning "brilliant" cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Cleaning "brilliant" cymbals

As you guys know I play Sabian XSR cymbals, which have a brilliant "shiny" finish. For those who have similar cymbals what are you using the clean them with?
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cleaning "brilliant" cymbals

ANY non-abrasive metal polish. Yes it will wear away the logos if you don't take care to clean around them.

Generally I just wash them with regular dishwashing solution, if there are still greasy fingermarks etc I'll moisten a soft cloth with gasoline and wipe around the cymbal (gasoline removes grease and logos like magic - so make sure the cloth is slightly damp and go around the logos).

I'll only use metal polish about once a year or so - B20 seems to take ages to corrode, normally a quick wipe around with a damp cloth is good enough.
    Last edited by crispycritters; 02-19-2018 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Gibberish

User Info Menu

one reason why I haven't jumped on the new XSR's cause I'm to lazy to keep cleaning brilliant finished cymbals....

Fingerprints drive me nuts lol

I've always just used simple lime/lemon juice or a dawn and a rag.

User Info Menu

I have brilliant AAXs and I still hate cleaning them. They look beautiful when they’re clean, but that white shimmer is gone in less than a week. I try something new every time cleaning them. Lemons work good. They just take a little while. I’ve used dish soap, isopropyl alcohol mixed with water, Sabian cymbal polish, once you clean a cymbal, that factory coating is gone.

My HH ride proves this. I cleaned the top when I got it, but not the bottom. The top became darker than the bottom after a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

My cymbals are all Vintage 70's Zildjian A's and I just use a mixture of water/vinegar to clean them and have for years and the logos are still there.

User Info Menu

I've used Sabian and Zildjian polish and Paiste's polish/sealer (two separate bottles) and gotten the same results when I used polish I buy at the auto parts store (NevrDull). The orbital buffer makes the entire process quick and easy. With the cymbal polish, I apply it with a terry cloth rag until the entire cymbal has a thin coat then I hit it with the orbital buffer.

With NevrDull, I tear off a small piece of the cotton wadding which is saturated with the cleaning solution (smells like kerosene) and wipe the entire cymbal down until I start to see the black oxidation residue, then I hit it with the orbital buffer until it shines.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I've used Sabian and Zildjian polish and Paiste's polish/sealer (two separate bottles) and gotten the same results when I used polish I buy at the auto parts store (NevrDull). The orbital buffer makes the entire process quick and easy. With the cymbal polish, I apply it with a terry cloth rag until the entire cymbal has a thin coat then I hit it with the orbital buffer.

With NevrDull, I tear off a small piece of the cotton wadding which is saturated with the cleaning solution (smells like kerosene) and wipe the entire cymbal down until I start to see the black oxidation residue, then I hit it with the orbital buffer until it shines.
    I like this option. I'll have to get me a buffer, but that isn't an issue.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Step 1: replace with natural finish cymbals
    Step 2: don't clean them

Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Because they’re brand new, I think I‘d stick with using Sabian’s own cymbal cleaner...at least for a while. I assume they have a protective clear coat from the factory. I’d hate to strip that off by using another product or method. If they get to the point that they look really bad and the Sabian cleaner doesn’t work, then I’d get more aggressive with it.

Most of my cymbals are either cheap Wuhans or well-used. I have no problem assaulting them with sandpaper and then metal polish using a foam ball on my cordless drill. Guaranteed to shine. You can read a newspaper in the reflection, LOL.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Most of my cymbals are brilliant finish - using metal cleaners of any type is laborious and unpleasant (although I've never used power tools which would cut down on the hard work), they look great - but the impressive results simply don't last. I find that just wiping with a damp cloth and detergent makes then look similar to a clear coated regular cymbal - not so you can see your reflection, just a slightly dull sheen - I've decided that's good enough. I wrote in an earlier post that I use metal polish about once a year. Come to think of it its probably every two years, or maybe longer...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    if there are still greasy fingermarks etc I'll moisten a soft cloth with gasoline and wipe around the cymbal (gasoline removes grease and logos like magic - so make sure the cloth is slightly damp and go around the logos).
    I have had great luck with Dawn dishwashing liquid and grease, all kinds of grease. It breaks up the grease great. I even use it for oil spill in the carport. Something else I might suggest is black coffee for grease. I use it religiously on my glasses, Ipad, and Ipod to clean off the skin oil.

I have a good story about the coffee. I used to work for Kimberly Clark making paper. They were having trouble keeping the 2 plies of a paper towel together, so they decided that instead of the normal edge crimping to keep the 2 plies together on the towels, they would glue them together. The engineers designed a system to do spray the glue between the 2 plies. They had all kinds of trouble with the glue going everywhere since it was sprayed, so they sent the spray boom out and had it teflon coated. That helped some but what we were worried about, was the glue was getting all over us and ESPECIALLY on our glasses and safety glasses. We could not find anything that would cut the glue and not harm our glasses.

One night on night shift we were on break and one of my friends was sitting across the table from me in the breakroom. All of a sudden he spilled his black coffee and it went everywhere, including all over his glasses that he had taken off and sat on the table. When he went to clean them off, he was so surprised. That coffee actually got the glue off of his glasses without any hard rubbing. We were so happy that we saw something do that.
    So, we started using coffee to clean the spay booms and our glasses.
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    if there are still greasy fingermarks etc I'll moisten a soft cloth with gasoline and wipe around the cymbal (gasoline removes grease and logos like magic - so make sure the cloth is slightly damp and go around the logos).
    I have had great luck with Dawn dishwashing liquid and grease, all kinds of grease. It breaks up the grease great. I even use it for oil spill in the carport. Something else I might suggest is black coffee for grease. I use it religiously on my glasses, Ipad, and Ipod to clean off the skin oil.

I have a good story about the coffee. I used to work for Kimberly Clark making paper. They were having trouble keeping the 2 plies of a paper towel together, so they decided that instead of the normal edge crimping to keep the 2 plies together on the towels, they would glue them together. The engineers designed a system to do spray the glue between the 2 plies. They had all kinds of trouble with the glue going everywhere since it was sprayed, so they sent the spray boom out and had it teflon coated. That helped some but what we were worried about, was the glue was getting all over us and ESPECIALLY on our glasses and safety glasses. We could not find anything that would cut the glue and not harm our glasses.

One night on night shift we were on break and one of my friends was sitting across the table from me in the breakroom. All of a sudden he spilled his black coffee and it went everywhere, including all over his glasses that he had taken off and sat on the table. When he went to clean them off, he was so surprised. That coffee actually ate the glue off of his glasses without any hard rubbing. We were so happy that we saw something do that.
    So, we started using coffee to clean the spray booms and our glasses.

Like most great things, it was found by accident!!
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

I have one brilliant cymbal that I use, a Zildjian A Custom 18" crash. I clean it the same way that I clean the rest of my traditional finished cymbals. Clean with Groove Juice, let dry, apply 100% Carnauba Wax, let dry, then buff with a buffing rag to get shiny finish. I have found that this process will hold up for about 4 to 6 months, protects against finger prints, and the cymbals won't change color.

I should also add that I'm not that particular about getting scratches on the cymbal from regular use and the logos have been gone for a very long time.
    Last edited by dangermoney; 02-28-2018 at 05:39 PM.

User Info Menu

Kickin' Brass cymbal cleaner. Spray it on, let it sit a short time (don't want it to dry) and just wipe off and buff with a soft towel/rag. Won't scratch brilliant, polished finishes and it won't remove logos ( I would guess it might fade them if you rubbed hard but I've never had an issue and I spray right over the logos). removes finger prints, dirt and makes 'em shine.

User Info Menu

I have Sabian Xs20's. When I first got them, Sabian cymbal cleaner was easy to find here, and it worked great. Just spritz it on, wait about one minute, then wipe and buff. It would not take off the logo's. Now I have to buy Music Nomad cymbal cleaner. I apply it like a liquid wax, then start buffing. It will take off the logo's. I can clean five cymbals and two pairs of hi-hats in about 30 - 40 minutes, and that's taking my time and being really picky. Does it bother me, no. I use that time to listen to our set list or my favorite concert dvd.
    1976 Tama Imperialstar Saturn 12+1 Platina6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 concert toms, 16, 18 floor toms, 2-22x18 Bass drums.
    1971 5x14 Ludwig acrolite snare
    Tama metalworks snare 13x6
    DW collectors Maple Blue Glass7x8, 8x10, 9x12 rack toms, 11x14, 13x16 hanging toms, 18x23 bass, 8 and 12 timbale toms, 5.5x10 Ten and Six All Maple snare, 5.5x14 Supersolid snare, DW 9000 rack system, DW 5002 Double bass pedal, DW 5000 Hi-Hat stand, DW 9000 Snare stand.
    Sabian Xs20 cymbals: 16 & 18 crash, 20 ride, 14 hats, 8 splash, 18 china.
    Zildjian cymbals: 21 ride, 15 hats. All '70's era.

User Info Menu

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser...great for cleaning cymbals that are not too bad, easy too. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman - drummer for Jesus; Mapex MPX snare, Mapex Black Panther Venom snare, Mapex Saturn bass drum and toms / Sabian AAX, SR2/ Evans / LA Backbeat

Church Drummer's Army

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumolator View Post
    Mr. Clean Magic Eraser...great for cleaning cymbals that are not too bad, easy too. Peace and goodwill.
    Never thought about that... I have some cymbals that have corrosion. I wonder if this would work

User Info Menu

Has anyone ever heard of Drummer's Cymbal Cleaner? It was a powder that you mixed with tap water. You didn't even have to scrub them. The dirt and grease just washed off and I rinsed them in the kitchen sink, then pat dry. That was in the late 1970's.

User Info Menu

RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    I don't think any of those stores exist anymore to purchase it though... lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumolator View Post
    Those magic Erasers are awesome. I too have used them on cymbals. Just a little water and they’ll clean anything.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

The HiHats here I bought online used a few months ago, and I used Music Nomad ' acid-free' cymbal cleaner and it worked pretty well. Logos were faded pretty well but nothing a good ol' black sharpie won't handle!DSC01528.jpgDSC01529.jpg
    Last edited by drummerMD; 05-06-2018 at 04:34 PM.

User Info Menu

The new Sabian polish is awful (not the spray). I looked at other reviews and i’m not the only one. It leaves scratches before it cleans a finger print. I still have trouble keeping my aax’s clean. I would rather have traditional finish.
    They looked beautiful new.
    Last edited by FlyByNight; 05-06-2018 at 05:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

melvinjoe Guest

I simply use microfiber towels for cleaning purposes !!