Thread: Threaded vs Non-Threaded HiHat Clutch

User Info Menu

Default Threaded vs Non-Threaded HiHat Clutch

After swapping out a pair of hihat cymbals on a Yamaha HS650A hihat stand, I noticed the threads under the felt hihat washers on clutch were worn down and stripped which led me to further inspect the center holes on the hihat cymbals and found signs of what could be the start of a keyholes on top and bottom hihat cymbals.

a.jpg

b.jpg

I searched and found conflicting opinions surrounding the threaded vs. non-threaded hihat clutch and I'd like to bring this discussion here and would greatly appreciate your opinions on this matter.

Here are what other drummers have said about the threaded clutch:

Quotes:

"Personally I've never damaged any of my hats using threaded clutches and I've been playing for 40 some years so I don't understand the need for a threadless clutch."

"It hasn't been a problem for 75 years, but if you're worried, you may be able to find a rubber grommet to fit within the hole of the top cymbal..."

"...its more of an issue if you keep your top hat really loose, allowing it to sway. If you keep it relatively clamped down it won't be a problem."

"... a handful of people said they worried about the thread damaging their hats, but it doesn't happen. At least not to me. Some of them would tape around the threads and do other stuff but I think it isn't needed. For that matter, I've never seen a keyholed hi hat cymbal."

Has this happened to YOU??

x.jpg

y.jpg

FYI:

Yamaha rod size .235" = 5.969 mm
    DW rod size .252" = 6.4008 mm
    Gibraltar rod size .275" = 6.985 mm
    nameless Taiwan rod size .275" = 6.985 mm

Had luck with 2 DW threadless standard 7mm hihat clutches in the past so I ordered one more to replace the threaded one on the Yamaha stand. Tama has a really slick looking hihat clutch with a plastic cymbal sleeve under the felt washers. The 6mm rod is a bit too skinny for the 7mm DW clutch but I haven't found a 6mm threadless clutch yet.

Your thoughts??

Thanks....
    Last edited by late8; 02-21-2018 at 10:32 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Threaded vs Non-Threaded HiHat Clutch

I do not see how it cannot eventually keyhole a cymbal. I mean we put protection plastic, rubber on crashes and rides for that very reason so why not hats? I put black duct tape around the portion of the screw that my hat hole comes into contact with. I would think even threadless ones could cause keyholing if you had metal on metal contact?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    I do not see how it cannot eventually keyhole a cymbal. I mean we put protection plastic, rubber on crashes and rides for that very reason so why not hats? I put black duct tape around the portion of the screw that my hat hole comes into contact with. I would think even threadless ones could cause keyholing if you had metal on metal contact?
    Excellent point MDK. Cymbal stands always come with some type of plastic sleeve. It must be "bean counting" to save on labor costs to have somebody machine off the threaded section before the chroming process? I could of saved $22 and filed down the threads myself but the Yamaha clutch has no set screw to hold the bottom nut firmly to the clutch shaft which is a big oversight in my opinion. When I started drumming back in '82, there was nothing out there like the clutches pictured below:

DW's standard clutch:

w.jpg

• Made for DW 9000 Series hi-hat stand, but works with any heavy-duty stand
    • Cymbal clutch allows you to dial in the amount of play you want
    • Locks in your settings to provide consistent support
    Last edited by late8; 02-21-2018 at 02:16 PM.

User Info Menu

Pearl clutch: Easily pinch both sides of the bottom locking nut to release and place top hi-hat cymbals, and adjust cymbal feel with the locking top adjustment nut.

m.jpg

q.jpg

Tama clutch: The Quick-Set's sliding switch mechanism prevents loosening through playing, and its top nut allows the top hi-hat to float freely for better tone and projection.

p.jpg

Remo clutch: The Quick Lock Hi Hat Clutch allows for quick changing of hi-hats with a lock-notch system rather than a typical threaded system. By pressing a locking pin assembly, cymbals can be quickly and simply changed out between tunes at a gig. This outstanding accessory eliminates any possibilities of Hi-Hat cymbals loosening while playing.

r.jpg
    Last edited by late8; 02-21-2018 at 02:51 PM.

User Info Menu

I absolutely love the Gibraltar quick release no thread clutch.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I absolutely love the Gibraltar quick release no thread clutch.
    Thanks man! I forgot to add this one.

t.jpg

Gibraltar Quick Release Hi-hat Clutch Features:

• Hi-hat clutch that simplifies the process of setting up your hats
    • Quick-release mechanism
    • Spring and ball bearing design
    • Durable metal construction