Thread: Interesting gig this Friday.

User Info Menu

Default Interesting gig this Friday.

My Old Band has a gig tomorrow night but the lead singer is completely OOC with a sinus infection/Bronchitis thing going on and the lead guitar players father just passed on Sat. so he is frazzled but really still wants to play. So they are putting together a set list but can only come up with 2 sets with each of us covering a few songs vocally so I asked my new band (2nd band) to fill in the 3rd set and they eagerly agreed.

These 2 bands have never met as I have only been with the new band for a month or so (3 gigs) and they are very picky in a good way with the sound system (they even trigger my drums and I don't own triggers) and while the old band cares about sound it is much much less meticulous and always a problem at some pint during the night.

Not sure how the money what little there is ($500) will be doled out either but not really worried about that as long as I get 2 shares : )

Luckily the new band has about 25 songs that the old band does not play so covering should be no issue, I also have a gig with the new band the following night.

I think everyone will get along and be supportive as they are all decent people, I am actually more worried about a few of the spouses more than the players.

I am excited, nervous, and curious and cannot wait to see how this all turns out....I will update sat. or sunday.
    Last edited by MDK; 02-23-2018 at 05:08 AM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Interesting gig this Friday.

Make it work!
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Good luck!
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

I like that challenge.................sounds like a fun evening to me.................and you get to be the captain of both squads.
    I forecast everyone will do just fine.
    I also like the idea of the two bands watching each other for positives and negatives, if any -- cross-training !
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

That's cool man. Double dipping to boot.

User Info Menu

It could turn into a good opportunity to recruit possible subs for either band. Always good to have options.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Thanks ..guys, getting ready to head out now and just remembered to change my 1st band reso head to a plain stock one just for tonight : ) Good luck and have fun to everyone gigging this weekend. I will check in tomorrow late morning. Wooo Hooooo
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Good luck MDK hope the evening is successful. I am not much on gigging cause I stop gigging 40 years ago.

User Info Menu

Well it turned out much better than I thought it would. 1st band was pretty spotless considering all that was going on, played 2 sets had people up and dancing. Then my new band set up which only took 15 minutes and we totally blew the place away with the 3rd set.

I noticed a big difference in feel and energy getting more into the music with the 2nd band, hell even Guys from the 1st band got up sang some harmonies and everyone had a blast. A lot of the regulars at this place kept giving compliments and cannot wait till both bands can come back. The 2 sound guys from both bands really hit it off and I think they are planning on getting together next week to trade sound tips/advice. So much fun! Looking forward to playing with the new band again tonight across town.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

That's awesome MDK, glad to hear everything went so well!
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

1st band has a gig this sat. night and the lead singer just said his antibiotics do not seem to be working and he is going back to the dr's today so he probably wont make it for sat. and the lead guitar decided to go down to NC sat. morning to his fathers funeral so the 2nd band agreed to take the whole gig and the club is fine with it. My last gig before heading out to a cruise next week and a short 3 day stay in Ft. Lauderdale afterwards.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy