Thread: What would you do? Tama question

User Info Menu

Default What would you do? Tama question

Been a while since I logged on.. But I'm still around and still playing, I think I told you that I added a 18" floor tom to my vintage 83 superstar kit but I had to sand it down and restain it to get the cherrywine finish the guy at Sherman Wiliams got sick of seeing me and he finally told me that he couldn't match the cherry wine finish and that I should look for a dye and so I did and it got pretty close. But now I want to add a 10x9 tom and the only thing I could find was either a 10"concert tom or a imperial star 10x9 tom.. I'm leaning towards the concert tom but what would you do? The supes are birch and sound really good but impstars is whole different animal. just one tom maybe it wouldn't stick out so bad lol.. I would have to rip off the wrap on the imperail star and put a finish on it,, just don't know if it would jell.. at least if I got the concert tom I could later add a few more. decisions decisions....
    I had a lot of time to think it over lying in this hospital bed...
    I monkeyed with another monkey's monkey
    And her gorilla whupped upon my head!~Johnny Paycheck

User Info Menu

Default Re: What would you do? Tama question

If you can get the Imperial Star at the right price... let the force be with you!

User Info Menu

Check out this gong drum this guy made from an Imperial star bass drum. Now that's devotion! https://jtzvintagetamadrums.tumblr.com/page/4

User Info Menu

Well both toms sold already on the ebay so my “Tama Superialstar”quest will just have to wait,, oh wellartstar.jpg

User Info Menu

Hmmm i can't recall what the original Istars were made of but wasn't the same hardware used on both sets? If the wood of the concert matches the Supers i would lean towards the concert. Still love the way concerts sound surprised they aren't being used more.

Keep an eye on Music Go Round too and Craigslist.

How about Crestar?
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I got a good deal on a 6" & 8" set of Tama concert toms with the zola coat in them. I still need the 10" tom but I'll have to wait.. Folks are asking up to 300 bucks on a used 10" superstar tom. Guess there just ain't a lot of them out there. So people are fighting for them.