Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fear of flying

User Info Menu

Default Re: Fear of flying

I have sat in a P-51 and a F-4. Neither time would they give me the keys.

In the P-51, I closed my eyes and was on the 6 of a ME-109 getting the distance right to where my bursts would converge.

In the F-4 (which, IMHO, was 1 meana$$ looking plane) I had missile lock on a Mig

I did want to take a spin in a SR-71. For some reason, they wouldn't let me.

User Info Menu

Well would'nt ya know, it has been unseasonably warm in New England for a month now and the day we are going to fly out there is a dang nor'easter bearing down on the east coast. Delta sent an email regarding a very high probability of flight delays and cancellations wed, and thursday from/to Boston and gave us the choice of sticking it out and seeing what happens, getting credit towards a future flight within a year, or flat out cancelling for full refund. We been hemming and hawing over it but just decided we are going to cancel it and drive our own vehicle down. I have to get another days vacation so we can leave after work tomorrow to try and get ahead of the storm. Let the Adventure begin.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Fell better now MDK you don't have to fly, now you have to listen to the wife nag you for the next 3 days. Have a safe trip and enjoy your vacation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Fell better now MDK you don't have to fly, now you have to listen to the wife nag you for the next 3 days. Have a safe trip and enjoy your vacation.
    Ahh so you know her? LOL, I am going to try and drive as far as I can tomorrow night, if I get my way I will drive straight through and stop wednesday about 5pm that way we are well below it but knowing her she is going to want me to stop about midnight. We will see how it goes. Not leaving NH till about 7pm
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

One mate of mine is a helicopter pilot and he says they are the easiest things to.........crash.

A friend of mine is a Captain, he flies Airbus commercially.
    He has said he's been embarrassed at how badly the computers have landed his aircraft on occasions.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I have sat in a P-51 and a F-4. Neither time would they give me the keys.

In the P-51, I closed my eyes and was on the 6 of a ME-109 getting the distance right to where my bursts would converge.

In the F-4 (which, IMHO, was 1 meana$$ looking plane) I had missile lock on a Mig

I did want to take a spin in a SR-71. For some reason, they wouldn't let me.
    One of my favorite places is the SAC museum, on I80 between Lincoln & Omaha. It’s a total hoot seeing all the old fighter planes, bombers and stuff. Many actually served in wartime. When you see how simple they were...looking like they were built in someone’s garage...and riddled with bullet holes. The plane offered virtually no protection for the occupants. Scary to think about, but it gives you an appreciation for those Airmen that served.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Re-reading this post, I can say that I have no fear of flying, BUT, falling is a totally different story.

Falling from 35,000' isn't a "fall down, go boom" type of fun. You will have a couple of minutes to contemplate the mistakes you have made in your life. Like getting on that plane.
    Last edited by rickthedrummer; 04-23-2018 at 11:09 AM.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Well, at least things like an engine disintegrating during flight, pieces of the turbine knocking out a window and getting half sucked out never happens......

Wait....oh, yeah, scratch that...
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Aloha_Airlines_Flight_243_fuselage.jpg

Remember this 1?

I would imagine that a lot of new sets of underwear was given out when that plane landed.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS