Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fear of flying

User Info Menu

Default Fear of flying

I am going on vacation next week, flying to Florida for a cruise. I hate flying but seeing all these near in flight disasters lately has really got me spooked. 2 weeks ago an engine cover falls off, today I see a video of a southwest flight taking off and a passenger has to point out to the stewardess that the damn engine is spitting fire. Ughhhhhhh! Probably happens all the time but I don't pay it no mind because I rarely fly but man I tell ya if my wife agreed I would surely take an extra day and drive both ways.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Fear of flying

Might as well drive down man if you have a got feeling why take a chance it's not like you are leaving the country.

User Info Menu

I fly all the time. Chances of flight issues are very slim.
    Sure an engine cover fell off... now go read your newspaper and see how many car accidents happened that day!!
    You have a greater chance dying on your way to the airport in your car.

Now for me... I'd fear the cruise. Going down in a panic like the titanic... no thanks haha

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Might as well drive down man if you have a got feeling why take a chance it's not like you are leaving the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I fly all the time. Chances of flight issues are very slim.
    Sure an engine cover fell off... now go read your newspaper and see how many car accidents happened that day!!
    You have a greater chance dying on your way to the airport in your car.

Now for me... I'd fear the cruise. Going down in a panic like the titanic... no thanks haha
    Thanks guys......I think .....My wife will not have it so fly I must. I just wish there was a pill or something they could give you that knocked you out for the entire flight so I could just sleep : )
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

MDK put on you headphones and listen to some great drums videos this will get your mind off the flying. Now if I was in that situation I would leave 1-2 days earlier and say to the wife meet you there when the plane lands lol.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 02-27-2018 at 07:49 AM.

User Info Menu

LOL, yeah I have a non-refundable ticket... I do like the listening to drums idea though : )
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

A cover came off an engine mid-flight and in another incident an engine caught fire - true, but there were no casualties and both aircraft landed safely. Commercial aircraft can fly with the loss of an engine, obviously they will land at the nearest airport in the case of an incident of this type rather than risk the 1 in a million chance of another engine having a sense of humour failure.

Driving is fine if you plan to spend a few days taking a leisurely drive via the scenic route, and visit some points of interest along the way, stopping overnight at local hotels. But an all day drive there and back will mean you start and finish your holiday stressed and exhausted.

Fly down - its much safer despite sensationalist headlines.

User Info Menu

Listening to the road reports here in the bay area would make you not want to leave the house.
    4 and 5 car pileups are the norm here everyday.
    And factor in the 25% stoned rate of the drivers ,well...
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

I hear you man. I’ve avoided flying all my life. I absolutely hate it. And when i’m on a trip, I worry about the flight back. I hate takeoff, I hate being in the air, I hate landing. I was on a 10 hour flight to Italy and I was sick the entire way there.

People say the more you fly, your fear goes away. Mine just gets worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I drive when I can but I fly everywhere for work. I don’t like the rules and restrictions, on top of also having a fear of flying. Gotta get to the airport early and hit the bar.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Kaz has the right idea. Hit the bar, bring a parachute.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    I just wish there was a pill or something they could give you that knocked you out for the entire flight so I could just sleep : )
    Xanax - Google it for flying anxiety. Ask your doctor about it.

User Info Menu

Yep. Hit the airport lounge and suck down a few. Be warned, however.....the drinks at the airport are high priced!

I always bring a magazine or book and do everything I can to avoid paying attention to the actual flight. I DO, however, love the take-offs. When they square up on the runway, stop, they crack open the throttle! That force of acceleration pushing you back in the seat is awesome!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Hate to break it to you, but, your chances of getting killed on the road are exponentially higher than getting killed in an airplane crash. Have a few drinks on the plane and enjoy starting your vacation earlier.

User Info Menu

I love flying

It's all the airport crap I hate.

It's one of those "if I could do it all over again" scenario's...I think I would have liked to become a pilot.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I love flying

It's one of those "if I could do it all over again" scenario's...I think I would have liked to become a pilot.

all the best...

Of course as a kid I also always wanted to be a pilot.
    My family was lucky enough to do a lot of traveling and see a lot.
    I've always loved flying and no fears here.

But I HATE dealing with the airport and security and the waiting etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I love flying

all the best...
    Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Of course as a kid I also always wanted to be a pilot.
    My family was lucky enough to do a lot of traveling and see a lot.
    I've always loved flying and no fears here.

But I HATE dealing with the airport and security and the waiting etc.
    The thought of you and kay-gee being pilots brought this to mind:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Yep. Hit the airport lounge and suck down a few. Be warned, however.....the drinks at the airport are high priced!

I always bring a magazine or book and do everything I can to avoid paying attention to the actual flight. I DO, however, love the take-offs. When they square up on the runway, stop, they crack open the throttle! That force of acceleration pushing you back in the seat is awesome!
    I wish. Our airport sucks. All we have is a Tim Hortons

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I wish. Our airport sucks. All we have is a Tim Hortons
    Grab a Tim Bits snack pack and a double-double. Enough sugar and caffeine in that so you could probably fly there yourself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    I just wish there was a pill or something they could give you that knocked you out for the entire flight so I could just sleep : )
    Well, a couple of good scotch's does it for me. I understand your feeling. I have only flew about 6 times in my life and it gets better each time. I don't worry so much about the plane having problems as I do being packed in like sardines with a bunch of whiny wussies and having to deal with the gungho TSA scum at the airport/s.

The first time I flew was to Houston texas which was an hour and a half from here. I sat next to the window, which is my preference.

When the plane starts rolling, it's like being in a really fast drag car and it rattles some, but all is good. once in the air it's almost magical to me because I am thinking about how much power and engineering it takes to get something that heavy in the air as gracefully as it
    does. Mid flight was smooth sometimes you might get a bit of turbulence, but not often. I flew from Minnesota to Vancouver once as the longest flight, and I was comfortable enough to sleep quite a bit when there wasn't something to see. The patchwork looking views that you see on TV are real because that's what it looks like from up there.

Landing is pretty cool too. Coming into Ft. Lauderdale Florida it looked like we were so slow and low that we were going to land on the interstate, but we did not. I especially love it after touchdown when they reverse thrust to slow down.

I was always against flying until I did it and I always preferred to drive, but now....the risk of accident is way higher on the highways than in the air.

Take care and it will all be good!
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

FWIW the bar in the Southwest terminal by gate c20 has a phenomenal bagel and lox platter.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

They don't pay pilots to fly the planes, they get paid to take 'em off and land 'em.

I thought about getting a pilots license many years ago (seriously). I wanted to be able to fly my all time favorite plane, the P-51 Mustang.

th9UMUOUCD.jpg

User Info Menu

When I was about 14 my dad was in the army and based at Middle Wallop airfield attached to a helicopter squadron. As a special 'treat' one summer the army kids living on the married quarters were given a free flight. The scout helicopters they used at the time (71) were basically a glass bubble with a bit of miscellaneous scaffolding bolted to the back flown by adrenaline crazed maniacs that seemed to be under the misconception that their mission was to scare a bunch of kids to death. As treats go - that one sucked.

My first flight in a commercial aircraft was a breeze in comparison, no wild acrobatics and the pilot and aircrew gave the impression of being quite sane. I've enjoyed every flight since - on the long ones I tend to fall asleep. Its the interminable wait at the airport I don't like.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    When I was about 14 my dad was in the army and based at Middle Wallop airfield attached to a helicopter squadron. As a special 'treat' one summer the army kids living on the married quarters were given a free flight. The scout helicopters they used at the time (71) were basically a glass bubble with a bit of miscellaneous scaffolding bolted to the back flown by adrenaline crazed maniacs that seemed to be under the misconception that their mission was to scare a bunch of kids to death. As treats go - that one sucked.

My first flight in a commercial aircraft was a breeze in comparison, no wild acrobatics and the pilot and aircrew gave the impression of being quite sane. I've enjoyed every flight since - on the long ones I tend to fall asleep. Its the interminable wait at the airport I don't like.
    I lived in choppers for 18 months and, yes, some of these guys thought they were flying F-4's.
    Last edited by rickthedrummer; 10-28-2021 at 08:05 AM.

User Info Menu

They don't pay pilots to fly the planes, they get paid to take 'em off and land 'em.

I thought about getting a pilots license many years ago (seriously). I wanted to be able to fly my all time favorite plane, the P-51 Mustang.

th9UMUOUCD.jpg
    I may be terrified to fly, but I absolutely love ww2 planes. They land at our airport pretty often. I’ve been inside lancasters, b17s, b25 mitchell’s. They make them look a lot bigger inside in movies like Memphis belle. I’ve Seen p51s, t28s, f4u’s, hellcats, spitfires and so many more classic planes at air shows. I went to the Fargo airshow a few years ago. Best one i’ve ever been to. Fantastic blue angels performance, but i’ll never forget the sound of the b52 bomber as it whistled over. I have yet to see a b29 or a b36 but it’s on my bucket list.

-Mike