Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speaking of interesting gigs

User Info Menu

Default Speaking of interesting gigs

I got a call last night from a barber/beauty shop and boutique owner who is doing a "Beards and Beer" night in a couple of weeks. They want the blues band I play with to come out, set up on the sidewalk outside of their store on Main street, and play during the event. They offered cash, food, and drinks for payment. I called my guys and we are going to do it.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Speaking of interesting gigs

Huh, that sounds like it may be a lot of fun. Ya have to like gigs where your not responsible for bringing customers to the event. Let us know how it goes and take a pic of the bands set up.. I am interested to see how big of a place they give you.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

The show is March 10th. I'm going out with one of the guitarists next week to see what the best way to set up will be. We are planning on bringing in some lighting since we will most likely set up outside on the sidewalk. Regardless, it's going to be fun!

I did text the owner of the shop to suggest they bill it as "Beards, Beers, and Blues" since we are now booked to play.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Tomorrow night. We are ready to get out and play again. If it doesn't rain we are planning on setting up outside on the sidewalk facing Main street.

User Info Menu

Talking Re: Speaking of interesting gigs

Quote Originally Posted by DrumWhipper View Post
    Tomorrow night. We are ready to get out and play again. If it doesn't rain we are planning on setting up outside on the sidewalk facing Main street.
    Keep us updated, Whip!

User Info Menu

Nevermind. Last minute cancellation. Owner decided to go a different route.

User Info Menu

Ok so in efforts to vent my frustration so I can get over this, here is what happened.

The venue owner said he wanted to do this event and wanted some live music. I told him I would contract a group of musicians from our blues society and we would come play. He said that was great. We negotiated a price for the band, and all was well.

I personally went to the location of the gig to find the best place to set the band up so his customers could enjoy the music while still having room to walk around.

I named the musicians who would be there. All was good. I then promoted the event on several local social media platforms I run which have a nice following for local blues music.

Lo and behold I get a call at 5pm last night telling me the group I had scheduled to come in isn't going to work, and they want one of the band's from our blues society, just not the one I'm playing with, and no one will be paid unless the other band comes.

Frankly it pissed me off royally. I did the negotiations, I did the promotion work, I even helped name the event and now I'm out and someone else will play the gig and get the pay day. I literally met with the venue owner around 10 times in the past week in person, not including the phone calls, and he NEVER says the group I was bringing in wasn't who he wanted. He waits until 4pm yesterday to call the other band to tell them to come.

Needless to say I will NEVER do business with this guy again. I have removed anything to do with the venue from my social media pages, and I've contacted my groups following to inform them we were cut out at the last minute. Perhaps that is petty of me to do, but I'll be damned if I'm going to do all of that work only to be pushed out at the last minute by someone who didn't have the balls to tell me to my face that he wanted another band and not ours.

User Info Menu

That really couldn't suck much worse than that. Sorry to hear and not much we can say will help. As I sit here and ponder what you are going through, these thoughts arise......

Any chance it'll rain? Maybe they'll get noise complaints.

Then, again, with my evil thinking, he may even stiff the performers for some reason or another and after they've played which would be the most it could suck. Sounds like that kind of person. You may find this jig isn't up yet! Maybe you skirted a bigger issue?

Stay bigger and in the end you won't lose your integrity or tarnish your reputation.
    Last edited by Bish; 03-10-2018 at 11:07 AM.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Something is fishy. Most people wouldn’t do that....something’s going on behind the scenes...outside influences. That said, there’s nothing you could have done.

I’ve had a similar situation happen, and it’s definitely aggravating. All you can do is move on, don’t get involved with them again, and don’t let it keep you from trying it again with another venue.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Not much that can be done about it, that's for sure. Just move forward and know not to do business with them again.

User Info Menu

Plot twist: Venue owner has told the replacement band that they can't plug into his wall, they have to run everything through a Lowes generator...

User Info Menu

Plot twist: Venue owner has told the replacement band that they can't plug into his wall, they have to run everything through a Lowes generator...
    Umm.......alrighty then. This guy sounds like a real peach.
    Maybe this was a blessing in disguise?
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I agree with Brian's assessment!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

It can be risky to run PA and amps through a regular gas powered generator. There can be a potential issue with the power being stable and clean...also grounding for safety. A lot depends on the generator and equipment. I’d be a little nervous if someone asked us to plug our expensive equipment in to an unknown generator.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

It's a 1200 watt generator at that. He wants them to run amps, lights, and sound through it.

User Info Menu

DrumWhipper say if things would of went differently and it was you who backed out at the end before the show. I bet you he would be suing you for loss of whatever. I would look into it see if you can get some legal advise for some compensation for your time, stress etc. If there was a contract involved then you would have better footage for a suit. Just saying.

User Info Menu

Personaly, I consider this to be a bait and switch and if we didn't agree to this up front, we would give the owner the choice of allowing us to use his "clean" power or we would be forced to back out of the gig for "safety reasons" ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    DrumWhipper say if things would of went differently and it was you who backed out at the end before the show. I bet you he would be suing you for loss of whatever. I would look into it see if you can get some legal advise for some compensation for your time, stress etc. If there was a contract involved then you would have better footage for a suit. Just saying.
    Hey Whip, You just became a little more wiser in this ordeal. Just chalk it up and move on. Now you'll approach these situations with a little more caution and understanding in the future.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Speaking of interesting gigs

Having had to deal with bar owners (a lot) back in the early days. I, who is famous for his amazing restraint, great patience, my ability to get along with people, and, last, but certainly not least, a total control of my temper, as seen in the photo below:

DSC01304 (2).jpg

In truth, I have had several owners that pulled (or tried) stunts like that or other things, mainly money, up against walls. Been there, done that, have the tee shirt that reads, " I scared the crap out of the bar owner of ****************".

If they want to debate money, music, whatever, before anything is set, I have no problem with that. Pull something when it's all but ready to roll, and there is going to be a serious problem.

I totally understand your anger. I start my day out mad and work from there.

If someone knows how to remove the attached images below, please do so. Thank You
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rickthedrummer; 03-10-2018 at 10:04 PM.

User Info Menu

We had a massive hail storm last night. Glad I didn't get out in it. They're saying a ton of cars will be totaled out due to this.

FB_IMG_1520736028672.jpg

FB_IMG_1520737077664.jpg

FB_IMG_1520735317998.jpg

User Info Menu

That is some scary chit right there.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I've seen hail, but never like that.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Gee....I sure hope that massive hail didn’t effect the event......
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Gee....I sure hope that massive hail didn’t effect the event......
    That stuff might knock a guitarist into a logical state of mind.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    That stuff might knock a guitarist into a logical state of mind.
    That would take softball size hail.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS