Thread: Cymbal sleeves with hihats

User Info Menu

Default Cymbal sleeves with hihats

Why do we use cymbal sleeves for crashes/rides/etc,
    But we don’t on hihats in the clutch?
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cymbal sleeves with hihats

I thought the same thing and decided to make a few from clear plastic drinks bottles which I cut out and glued together. I used them for about 6 months but gave up - I noticed that my hats didn't wear away at the very thin plastic so they obviously weren't in risk of keyholing so I didn't see the point (they were also fiddly and a major pain). Maybe its because hi hats are generally mounted pretty flat so there is little offset weight causing wear on one side of the hole, unlike cymbals and rides which tend to be angled (unless you are a fashion victim).

User Info Menu

Mine does.

User Info Menu

I sometimes wonder why they don't use metal grommets like they do with marching cymbals to prevent key holing.
    We're talking 15 to 20 cents a cymbal to install from the factory.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
    I sometimes wonder why they don't use metal grommets like they do with marching cymbals to prevent key holing.
    We're talking 15 to 20 cents a cymbal to install from the factory.
    That's actually a great idea

User Info Menu

I made my own sleeve for my hats out of automotive hose. I've been using the same piece for a few yrs now.